2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hi, I have purchased a yamaha p35 and I am trying to use my korg ds1-h sustain pedal, but it doesn´t work.

The included plastic pedal works ok, but it has a mono plug, and the korg has stereo plug (I think it would be because of the half damper, which I seldom use). I tryed to plug it halfway, inverting polarity at the keyboard but no luck

Do you know if this damper can be used or would I have to purchase another?

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Purchase another. Yamaha and Korg pedals operate backwards relative to each other (normal open vs. normal closed). Some third party pedals have "polarity" switches that allow them to work either way. This is not the same as what you are doing by putting the stereo jack in part way. You are correct that stereo jack design is needed for partial pedaling on boards that support it, but that's a different issue compared to whether the pedal is internally making its connection on press or on release. Both Yamaha and Korg designs use mono jacks except for partial pedaling, but what's happening inside the pedal is reversed. Roland uses the same approach as Yamaha, everyone else uses the same approach as Korg.

P
OP Offline
P
ThNks for the answer.
Just to learn, wouldnt a polarity issue would make the piano always sustain when the korg is connected? And that would be fixed changing the polarity at the piano?

It seems odd that the pedal does nothing...when I reversed the polarity at the piano and hooked e included yamaha footswitch it worked backwards

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Pablo1980
ThNks for the answer.
Just to learn, wouldnt a polarity issue would make the piano always sustain when the korg is connected?

Right... with the "wrong" pedal, a keyboard will sustain when the pedal is not depressed, and stop sustaining when you press the pedal.

And that would be fixed changing the polarity at the piano?

Most pianos/keyboards do not have an option to change the polarity of the pedal. There are some that do (via a manue option), and of course, then they can use either kind of pedal.

It seems odd that the pedal does nothing...

True, the wrong pedal should not "do nothing." Rather, it should operate in reverse, as discussed. Unless the pedal is defective.

when I reversed the polarity at the piano and hooked e included yamaha footswitch it worked backwards

The P35 does not include an option to reverse the pedal polarity. You mean when you plugged it in part way, it worked backwards?

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission