2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
So I just purchased a Kawai MP10 and I have a few questions. I know it was a flagship when released, but how does it hold up today? Do you think the action is as excellent as people did when it first came out? Do people have any tips or tricks on how to best use it? I simply don't know as much as I'd like to. All that I've heard has been good, but it's my first digital piano and I'm really unsure about how to properly use and care for it. I saved for a long time to be able to afford this and I want to enjoy it as much as possible. That said, I want to make sure I've made a good purchase and that I'll be able to use the instrument to its fullest potential. Thanks everyone, and have a lovely evening

Sam

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
If the piano please you, don't worry, enjoy !

The action, RM3 grand, is near the CA17 action (RM3 grand II) which is still in store. (I suppose the difference is the 3rd sensor). The main difference between the RM3 grand and the GF action from the MP11 (excepted the 3 sensors on GF) is the key length. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqQ4oaOCSXQ

I still like my piano bought in 2002... (Well less the sound since I have tried some virtual pianos). I am thinking of changing it, but this could wait a few years ! Perhaps your MP10 will last such a long time !

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I think its still excellent piano with really good action, still much better then any new in the middle - high price range with plastic action. About sound, I dont like the sound in almost any digital piano even with the highest price. Depends for what you will use this piano, but there is usb/midi so welcome to the world of piano software if you want it, as many here also use piano software as a much better alternative.

Last edited by slobajudge; 07/21/16 05:55 AM.
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
The MP10 is a great digital from what I've heard over the years. While it's not the latest and greatest in action or sound, that doesn't mean it's not still very good on its own. I think it's a great instrument to start learning piano on.

Digitals in general are easy to care for. You may want to keep it covered with a towel, sheet, or purchase a dust cover to help keep dust from getting in. You can wipe down the keys with a damp cloth to keep them clean. Also, keep it out of direct sunlight or away from heat vents in the winter. But really simple and low-maintenance.

I think Kawai James mentioned in another post, be sure you update the firmware to the latest version. But other than that, enjoy! laugh

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
I agree totally. It was an excellent digital piano and had in my opinion the best action at the time. Dismissing it as obsolete is like kicking Sandra Bullock and J Lo out of bed because they are over 40.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
E
E
Sam - the kawai mp10 has been overtaken by the Williams allegro - I have one and I would be willing to swap it for your mp10 if u would like to have the best DP out there

Let me know

Kawai K15E
M
M
Originally Posted by Edb123
Sam - the kawai mp10 has been overtaken by the Williams allegro - I have one and I would be willing to swap it for your mp10 if u would like to have the best DP out there

Let me know

OK, Gyro. :P

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Kbeaumont
I agree totally. It was an excellent digital piano and had in my opinion the best action at the time. Dismissing it as obsolete is like kicking Sandra Bullock and J Lo out of bed because they are over 40.

I'll be plagiarizing that . . . <g>

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
M
OP Offline
M
Hey another question, I've got headphones plugged in and it is not making any sound. What do I do? Piano is the only sound that's on and both it and master volume are up. What do I do? Could it be broken?

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Check for a "Local Control" menu item. It should be on.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
nope, still no sound output.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Are you getting sound from the other output of the keyboard?

Have you ever gotten sound out of the headphone socket?

Do the headphones work fine with another source?

Have you tried a factory reset of the keyboard?

M
OP Offline
M
Not tried a factory reset.i don't have speakers to test it with either. Headphones are great. I'm concerned that it was damaged in doing. It was 100 degrees today and it was in the back of a truck for 14 hours.

Originally Posted by MediocreSam
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
nope, still no sound output.

Please note that the MP10 has a dedicated 'LOCAL OFF' button:

[Linked Image]

When this button is lit LOCAL OFF will be enabled, meaning that the keyboard will *not* trigger the built-in tone generator. Therefore, in order to use the built-in sounds, this button should *not* be lit.

I was also going to suggest performing a Factory Reset, but I see that you have done this already.

Are you able to select sounds from the panel (e.g. Jazz --> 2 selects 'Jazz Grand 2' etc.)?

It's possible that the internal connectors for the headphone jacks have become loose. My advice would be to give Kawai America's digital piano customer service team a call for assistance.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
OP Offline
M
So after much grumbling and 2 hours of driving back and forth from the service center, the MP10 will take too long to repair. I need a piano before going off to school, so I need to look into other options. I'm stuck between a new Roland RD 300NX or a used kurzweil artis.

Thank you for the update Sam. May I ask what was the problem with the MP10? Which service centre did you visit? Will you send it back to the chap your purchased from?

Kind regards,
James
x

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Thank you for the update Sam. May I ask what was the problem with the MP10? Which service centre did you visit? Will you send it back to the chap your purchased from?

Kind regards,
James
x

The main board had heat and water damage, the keybed was sunken, and the metal case was dented. I bought it from guitar center, and I don't recall the service center name. Also the roland was out of stock so I'm going with a Yamaha P255 for now. They did give me a new one which cost 200 more than I purchased the MP10 for.

The main board had heat and water damage, the keybed was sunken, and the metal case was dented.

Wow, it sounds like the instrument had really been in the wars - certainly not the 'excellent condition' you had anticipated.

I bought it from guitar center, and I don't recall the service center name.

I thought (from your previous post) that you had purchased the MP10 from your piano teacher's friend, so assumed the instrument was local to you?

I'm going with a Yamaha P255 for now. They did give me a new one which cost 200 more than I purchased the MP10 for.

Well, it's not an MP10, but is still a pretty good instrument, and should serve you well through college.

Best of luck with your studies.

Cheers,
James
x

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
What a bizarre buying experience. Methinks we didn't hear the whole story.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Kawai James
The main board had heat and water damage, the keybed was sunken, and the metal case was dented.

Wow, it sounds like the instrument had really been in the wars - certainly not the 'excellent condition' you had anticipated.

I bought it from guitar center, and I don't recall the service center name.

I thought (from your previous post) that you had purchased the MP10 from your piano teacher's friend, so assumed the instrument was local to you?

I'm going with a Yamaha P255 for now. They did give me a new one which cost 200 more than I purchased the MP10 for.

Well, it's not an MP10, but is still a pretty good instrument, and should serve you well through college.

Best of luck with your studies.

Cheers,
James
x

My piano teacher's friend was the manager at that guitar centre. Their shop was however in a different state. I'm holding on to the P-255 for now, and stalking their online store to see if any other used Kawai's show up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission