2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, danno858, benkeys, brennbaer, DaCapoDiTuttiCapi, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,854 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
I have recently been shopping for a digital piano and so far have sampled quite a few brands: Yamaha, Kurzweil, Korg, Baldwin, Suzuki, Technics, Kawai and Casio. I play primarily classical music and want a piano that has an authentic feel and sound. My favorites so far have been the Yamaha YDP223 and P120, the Kawai CN290 and L-1 and the Technics PX662. The Kawai pianos seem to have a very rich bass but there is a break above middle C. The Technics has a rich sound across the board and the Yamahas seem to me to be in the middle. My budget is up to $1500 and I want to be sure I am getting the best piano for the money I'm spending. Of course, the salespeople have tried to steer me to the pianos they make the best profit from and I have come away from these encounters frustrated and confused. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted and if there are other models I should consider please let me know. Also, any information about repair records on these pianos. Thank you.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think you cannot really go wrong with the Yamaha and Kawai models you described above. I was only surprised that you didn't mention any Roland models. I'm not a fan of Roland's actions but that's more a personal matter. Roland's sound is very realistic and their actions are preferred by many pianists. I think some of the HP models must be within your budget too.
And don't forget Yamaha's recent CLP models like CLP 120, 130 and 150.
Kawai's CA 1000 model is a very nice instrument for it's price, though I think it exceeds your budget. If I'm not mistaking this one costs approximately 2500€, don't know the price in the USA though.

Rgds,
Michiel

Some can tell you to go to heck in such a manner that you would think you might actually enjoy the trip, but that is far more polite than civil - JBryan
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks so much for your feedback. I did look at the Roland RD150 and the Roland FP5. Like you I didn't care for the touch.

J
J
I recently purchased a Yamaha YDP-223. My choice was driven primarily by price and to a slightly lesser extent, features. At about $1,500 the price was right. The Yamaha has solid, weighted keys, attractive cabinet, decent sound and minor focus on gadgetry. It's a very nice instrument and should meet my needs for years to come (I'm an adult beginner). Good luck in your search, and let us know what you choose!

Just a comment that the Roland RD-150 and FP-5 do NOT have the same action. I've tried the RD-150 and didn't like it either - too mushy. However, I found the FP-5 quite acceptable; in fact, I own it! Neither is as firm as the Yamahas, however.

Disclosure: adult self-teacher ~RCM 8. ~~ Must - Get - Off - Everquest ~~
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks for all the feedback. I tried the HP series Rolands and the Clavinovas CLP 130 & 150 and the Technics PX-662 and 663. To my ear the Technics sound was a little more realistic but I preferred the firmer Yamaha touch. I spent more than I initially thought I would but I think I'll be happy with the Clavinova CLP 130. It is being delivered on Thursday!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission