2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1316766 12/02/09 02:44 PM
W
wooo69 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
i know pretty much nothing about keyboards/synth/pianos, so i dont know what brands are good, how much i should pay and everything. i know i wont be getting an expensive keyboard if i get one at all for christmas, but i was wondering if there are any cheap, but not a crappy keyboards. definitely cant get something around 300 dollars so i know i wont get a good one,

i like bands like asking alexandria, motionless in white, chiodos, attack attack. if that has anything to do with the type of keyboard i might need.

im just looking for something to start out on.

Last edited by wooo69; 12/02/09 02:46 PM.
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
You mention $300 being too much, I thin. What's your budget then?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
H
H
Originally Posted by wooo69
i like bands like asking alexandria, motionless in white, chiodos, attack attack. if that has anything to do with the type of keyboard i might need.

I'm just starting to think that a digital piano might not be the right choice. Have you looked at synthesizers?

If you really want a cheap and decent DP, look at the Casio CDP-100, you will probably get it for $200 if it is used.

P-85 cheap plastic imitation; not because of sound, but weight.
W
wooo69 Offline OP
OP Offline
W

Originally Posted by Huygens

I'm just starting to think that a digital piano might not be the right choice. Have you looked at synthesizers?

If you really want a cheap and decent DP, look at the Casio CDP-100, you will probably get it for $200 if it is used.

i always thought synthesizers and keyboards were pretty much the same.

with that can you change the tone of it or would i need something seperate?
sorry haha i know nothing.

H
H
You need a synth, not a digital piano (which might be a keyboard too).

P-85 cheap plastic imitation; not because of sound, but weight.
W
wooo69 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
are there any other synths that would be good?

M
M
I haven't shopped for one in a while, bit I think in your price range you'd be looking at keyboards, unless you go used synths.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
You can get into this for any price you want.

Some qestions: What keyboard sounds do you want to play? You listed bands but are you looking to play the entire song all your self or maybe just some bass lines as backup to someone else? What do you know about music? Can you read music and play some other insrument. If not you'll be playing some simple tunes for a while. What about computers and drum loops and editing and multi-track any interest in this kid of stuff?

You need to go and look at the various keyboards. Spend a couple hours in Guitar Center or Sam Ash. (but GC is better for someone with an under $300 budget) bring headphones and play with the keyboards. If you are into synth and electronic sounds and are a beginner then $100 is a reasonable budget. Plan on upgrading after a year of serious study and practice.

Also another way to decide is to download and read the user manuals. just to see which you can understand. After you read enough different manuals you will have an idea of the feaures you want

Also get a beginning piano book, most are under $10 and have titles like "Teach yourself to play piano".

W
wooo69 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by ChrisA
You can get into this for any price you want.

Some qestions: What keyboard sounds do you want to play? You listed bands but are you looking to play the entire song all your self or maybe just some bass lines as backup to someone else? What do you know about music? Can you read music and play some other insrument. If not you'll be playing some simple tunes for a while. What about computers and drum loops and editing and multi-track any interest in this kid of stuff?

You need to go and look at the various keyboards. Spend a couple hours in Guitar Center or Sam Ash. (but GC is better for someone with an under $300 budget) bring headphones and play with the keyboards. If you are into synth and electronic sounds and are a beginner then $100 is a reasonable budget. Plan on upgrading after a year of serious study and practice.

Also another way to decide is to download and read the user manuals. just to see which you can understand. After you read enough different manuals you will have an idea of the feaures you want

Also get a beginning piano book, most are under $10 and have titles like "Teach yourself to play piano".

i wouldnt be playing back up for anyone else, so i guess i would eventually play the whole song. and i dont play any instruments and i dont know how to read music yet, i tried to play guitar before so i kinda learned how to, and i havent thought about editing and drum loops and multi-track stuff, i would need to learn about that, and i could probably find the programs to do that stuff. and $100 sounds pretty good for something to start out with, i know all this can get really expensive too

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Check out the Yamaha PSR-E413 keyboard.

It has Live Control Knobs that allow you to have real time control over filters, effects, EQ, tempo and an arpeggio function for techno and synthesizer keyboard playing that can automatically add the playing of notes in rapid succession in ascending and descending fashion.

The PSRE413 comes equipped with 509 Voices. Included in this selection is stereo-sampled Piano, a selection of Sweet! Voices including Trumpet, Flute, Pan Flute, Soprano & Tenor Saxes and Cool! Voices including Galaxy Electric Piano, Organ and Rotor Organ.

Casio makes similar instruments, but it's the real time control over the filter and the arpeggio functions that give it an edge.

I use on in my studio...my secret weapon(not anymore!)...the sound is fat...one of my favorites is the Strings using the filter cutoff...hard to believe it is an inexpensive instrument.

Check it out...google Yamaha PSR-E413.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
W
wooo69 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
i was looking at some of the bands i would be wanting to cover, and it looks like most of them have a keyboard, and some type of microKorg, so i was thinking of maybe just getting a microkorg but theyre only like 37 keys,

W
wooo69 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
bump?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wooo69, other budget synths I can think of and recommend are the Roland JUNO-Di which is way out of your price range, and the Yamaha' MM6, which is pricey as well.

The reason I mentioned the PSR-E413, is that, for it's price, it has an excellent sound and some really cool features.

The arpeggiator is simple but effective, can use any of the instruments voices, and can also be colored by the filter control knob in "live" play.

The sounds can all be affected by the filter control as well, and it has a surprising FAT sound...we use one in my studio, and it has an immediacy that many digital synths do not have...the filter will self oscillate allowing for some cool harmonics and sweeps.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA...etail.html?CNTID=5014661&CTID=205100

Are you able to try one out at the local store?

The built in speakers, make carrying around a sound system unnecessary, and it is very light. The keyboard is velocity sensitive and there is a pitch bender wheel.

What kind of music do you plan to cover?

Snazzy

W
wooo69 Offline OP
OP Offline
W

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I should add Wooo69, that I've had several pro keyboard players visit my studio, and they look at the PSR-E413, and ask why I use an inexpensive arranger keyboard as one of my tools.

When they hear how powerful the filter is, and what cool sounds you can wring out of the little devil, they are impressed.

Arranger keyboards are used by many pros...in Nashville, there is a whole room full of them that are used by song writers.

A buddy of mine tells me other pros that use arranger keyboards for song writing are Melissa Manchester, Martina McBride, David Paich (Toto), and David Bryant (Bon Jovi), so they ain't just for amateurs or home players.

There used to be a stigma attached to using an arranger keyboard...not so much any more....they've come a long way from the tippy-tappy bingity bangity toy-like instruments they were many years ago.

Snazzy

E
edt Offline
E
woo, bradley from chiodos plays a roland fantom x6, the other bands you mention play things like korgs, the price of a roland fantom x6 is around $2,000 and the korg x50 is about $700, you can get a microkorg for less.

you'll want to get a nice saw sound, and I think it's possible to do it for $300, but pianoworld is full of pianists, so I'm not sure this is the best place to ask, you might get better answers in a forum like http://futureproducers.com

attack attack uses a microkorg those are cheap, only $400, but the keys are so tiny.

E
edt Offline
E
just watched a vid by attack attack (got in the mood for listening after your post) and I noticed that Caleb's main synth right now is also the roland fantom x6.

There must be something in that roland fantom x6 that all these bands like.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
There's also the used Korg MS2000 keyboard.

The MS2000 offers many more knobs, a bigger display, and the powerful Mod Sequencer...plus it has full size keys.

Snazzy

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission