2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,889 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
motif Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I mean can you tell/smell not knowing that you've got real wood under synthetic ivory topic? Just trying to justify going after more expensive CLP 370 or CA63 to have that feeling. In case of yamaha the wooden keys are only whites anyway.

If my choice will be clavinova I wonder if it's worthy pay extra money for wooden keys in 370 and not just take 340.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Using matches is a sure fire way to know for sure. smile

While wood is a nice touch aesthetically, it's more of a marketing ploy much like graded hammers on a keyboard that already has an extremely light action.

Wooden keys or not would (wood) not influence me.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
If you were to buy a Yamaha Silent Piano made mostly out of wood the nose factor would be significant.
You could enjoy several years of heady cedar box smells exuding from the cabinet and open the top whenever you want to allow a rush of volatile forest sawmill fumes to race through your nostrils.

From what I can tell, this sensual benefit is nonexistent or negligent on the wooden keys only actions of the digital pianos you mentioned.

Yet another advantage of an acoustic piano over digital.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yet another advantage of an acoustic piano over digital.

First laugh of the day. Thanks!

M
motif Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Dave Horne

While wood is a nice touch aesthetically, it's more of a marketing ploy much like graded hammers on a keyboard that already has an extremely light action.

Wooden keys or not would (wood) not influence me.

so I understand you would not pay extra for wooden keys, I wonder though if you'd play acoustic piano with plastic keys smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by motif
In case of yamaha the wooden keys are only whites anyway.

Well, even those white keys are 'solid plastic' with only a thin wooden decoration.

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
M
motif Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by TADutchman
In case of yamaha the wooden keys are only whites anyway.

Well, even those white keys are 'solid plastic' with only a thin wooden decoration.

really? OK so that one convinced me completely it's not worth the extra money.
thanks

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My CP5 has wood underneath the fake ivory. I only know it's there because I can see it and Yamaha has gone out of its way to advertise it. The keyboard however does not play any better because of it. (I prefer the action of my sold CP300, the CP300 had a heavier action, plastic or not.)

I'm guessing with pure acoustic pianos (developed 300+ years ago) that wood was used because it was plentiful and easy to work with. It's a tradition. I can't imagine anyone paying $100,000 for a piano with plastic keys. (I came close to buying a Datsun 280Z many years ago but was turned off by its plastic dash.)

Would I pay extra for wooden keys? I would play two keyboards - one with and one without. If there was a difference I liked and thought it worth the extra cost, I'd order it.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I wonder though if you'd play acoustic piano with plastic keys smile

That's a really funny remark, actually one of the reasons why I wanted solid wooden keys (black & white). thumb

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by TADutchman
I wonder though if you'd play acoustic piano with plastic keys smile

That's a really funny remark, actually one of the reasons why I wanted solid wooden keys (black & white). thumb

Well, ever since ivory became outlawed all acoustic pianos are built with plastic key coverings as far as I know. Kawai has gone even further and replaced various parts of the action that are wood with forms of plastic.

If I had to choose for a portable instrument one that was precision engineered and manufactured with stable and durable parts to require no maintenance and with maximum reliability versus one that joins unstable, environment sensitive, heavy product such as wood with the majority of plastic parts using screws which are susceptible to becoming loose so that the keyboards already need to be serviced one day after delivery, I think I know what I would choose. Horses for courses as they say.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think the fact that it is a solid massive key that has some inertia is noticable. Currently all keys that have these properties are made from wood, but I think that another material where fine also.

The other question is, if this really is an advantage or is it only that we prefer it by the force of habit?

1929 Galaxy Blüthner Baby Grand
acer aspire m3300 AMD Phenom II X6

M
motif Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by hpeterh

The other question is, if this really is an advantage or is it only that we prefer it by the force of habit?

for me everything as close as possible to natural in any area is better as a rule. Not knowing from what chemicals are made the plastic keys (who knows what they put inside in China, lead maybe?) can be dangerous to your health in long run don't you think?

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I'm going off to sniff my CP1 and motif now to see if I can tell the difference.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I prefer the keyboard action I like most, it doesn't matter if it's wood or not, that's all. And I clearly prefer the solid black and white wooden keys from Kawais RM3 action over all current DP actions.

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
M
motif Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
I'm going off to sniff my CP1 and motif now to see if I can tell the difference.

but stroke it first wink

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
My V-Piano's white keys are Ivorite, and the black ones are wooden. That helps me to distinguish between them in the dark....

If music be the food of love, play on!
Why all the fuss over wooden keys?

The key lever on an acoustic has two portions. The part in front of the fulcrum, which you see and touch. And the part behind the fallboard. The "back" portion behind the fulcrum is quite long, representing most of the mass of the wood key.

But on some digitals, all of the key is in front of the fulcrum, which is hidden from view inside the enclosure. There is no "back" portion. (That's the case for Yamaha GH/GH3/NW keyboards ... not sure about other makes.)

So if the keys are constructed so very differently from an acoustic, what difference does it make if the key is wooden or plastic? Either way, it's not the same as an acoustic.

If there's any wish to emulate the feel of an acoustic, it wouldn't require wood. It could be done with clever arrangement of the moving masses, regardless of the material.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
for me everything as close as possible to natural in any area is better as a rule. Not knowing from what chemicals are made the plastic keys (who knows what they put inside in China, lead maybe?) can be dangerous to your health in long run don't you think?

Now, wooden keys have the same surface as the better plastics keys. Indeed I am more concerned about the touch surface than the body material.

Peter

1929 Galaxy Blüthner Baby Grand
acer aspire m3300 AMD Phenom II X6

U
U
If my choice will be clavinova I wonder if it's worthy pay extra money for wooden keys in 370 and not just take 340.

I don't think, that the wood makes a difference in the Yamaha keys. But the keys feel different. Maybe the Natural Wood is a newer generation of the GH3 or it is just the normal piano to piano variance. But I felt a difference between the 340 and the 370. If you feel the same and if you like the 340 more or the 370 more, you have to decide.

Be aware that the price difference from the CLP 340 to the 370 is not only because of the keys but also because of the better speaker system of the CLP 370.

Pianos and Service - www.martinwidmannklaviere.de
Piano parts and Accessories - www.pianosupply.de
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The NW (New Wood) action in my CP5 is lighter than the action I had in my CP300 (whatever that was). I prefer the action from the CP300, the CP5's action is a tad too light for my tastes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission