2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Pie Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Form what I can tell the only thing is how it looks and the LP350 has two more pedals.

The thing is I can't find a used SP250, so if I'm spending like $800 for a new one, I would like to get the most of it and get a used LP350 which is available for $850.

Also does anyone know of Roland RD-100? that one is for sale for $500 which is a perfect price but I haven't tried it and I'm not sure it could be an old model.

Last edited by Pie; 05/05/11 03:51 PM.
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
A new Korg SP250 is $699. You can often get a discount if Guitar Center, for example, is running a promotion. You could also try haggling. eBay often has open-box SP250s for the mid $500s.

The 350 is pretty much identical to the 250 except in the areas you mentioned.

The RD100 is very old (and IIRC was an entry level model) - I would think twice before paying $500 for that. Certainly, the SP250, SP170 or a Casio PX-130 would be better.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
P
Pie Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Update to this thread...Don't want to start a new one:

How is the Kawai CL20? I can get it for considerably cheaper than the LP350 probably, maybe $200 cheaper. I hear Kawai has the best touch, how is the sound? Really these are the most important things.

S
S
the rd-100 doesn't have a weighted action - it's over 10 years old. I would consider the Yamaha ydp-141 with is essentially a p95 with a cabinet. I've seen that go for 700 at guitar center. of of the 3 you mentioned the sp250 is the best. Check out Kraft music for better prices as well if you want to shop online.

Yamaha P-250 | Galaxy II Pianos | Galaxy Vintage D | The GIANT | Ravenscroft 275
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
R
R
Yesterday I spent some time at Guitar Center and still haven't decided what type of keyboard I'm going to end up with, as my ultimate goals aren't well defined yet. But, I found myself going back to the Korg SP250 for some reason. I played some other DP's including Yamaha and Williams(?) The reasons I seemed to prefer the sp250 over the other were:

Action - I found the Yamaha's to be a bit heavy. I'm not an experienced player, but I do like a weighted action, but the Korg's action seemed just right. I just found out it's an RH3 action, so maybe that's what I like.

The Grand sound. The Korg sounded best to me. The organs were nice. The other sounds on it were okay, not spectacular. Strings could have been better.

User interface. It was easy to change voices with a simple line of buttons. You can layer the sounds.

Audio - Stereo which resulted in nice, realistic imaging at the player's position. I think the others were just mono (could be wrong). The speakers sounded good. An external amp/speaker would be even better.

I figure at this price range, you also get a nice midi controller for external sound modules or soft synth setup if you want. The bed alone makes for a good weighted 88 controller. Although there are no programmable sliders, buttons, etc like real controllers have, it would make a good playing board through a computer or module. Has midi outs only - no USB, but adapters are pretty cheap.

Anyway this is what I liked about it. Can you suggest other DP's in this price range. I did like the console look of the others, though, and this will be in my living room where the WAF factor applies! Portability isn't important for me.

BTW, what's with Williams? I don't hear much about them on these forums. One brand new one I saw had three (!) bad keys on it. Maybe that's why. I won't go near one again for sure.

Last edited by RonH; 05/07/11 02:06 AM.
L
L
Originally Posted by RonH

BTW, what's with Williams? I don't hear much about them on these forums. One brand new one I saw had three (!) bad keys on it. Maybe that's why. I won't go near one again for sure.

They are the house brand of Guitar Center/Musicians Friend/ Music 123.

Laguna is their house brand for guitars.

Last edited by Lefty Chev; 05/07/11 08:41 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission