2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
tiagor Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi,

I'm a new member at the forum and hope this thread may be of interest to some of you. Inspired by the "DPs Exposed!" thread , I decided to undress my 14 year old Digital Piano, an Orla Concerto C9 and do some much needed fixes.
This is probably very old, low grade tech to most of you, but I was wondering how'd its internals compare to the more recent DPs. This thread aims to document the result of the dissection. To keep the size of the posts manageable (and since I can't write it all at once) I'll split it into several posts, so bear with me.

Best regards to all and a happy new year! thumb

Tiago

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Great, let's see 'em!

T
tiagor Offline OP
OP Offline
T
The Pedals

The pedals are enclosed in a metal box, stuffed inside a hollow MDF base. The pedals were making some "squeeks" each time they were pressed and were bottoming out quite hard, so this was a good candidate to start the operation.

Lets get on with the pics:

The undressing:

[Linked Image]

Detail of the mechanism:

[Linked Image]

As you can see, the mechanism is quite simple. The pedal resistance is managed by a spring and when pressed brings the two metal sheets into contact. The next photo shows the mechanism when pressed:

[Linked Image]

The problem with the "squeeking" was readily identified as the pedal was slightly rubbing the adjacent platic. This was promply corrected with some lubrication with lithium grease:

[Linked Image]

As to the sound of the bottoming of the pedal and when it was released, it was due to the rubber stops being out of place and the felt cloth being worn. These rubber stops were again put to their places with contact glue and the felt reinforced with some quick patches.

Rubber stops while being glued:

[Linked Image]

Placing new felt (you may see the wear on the original felt):

[Linked Image]

All fixed up with rubber stops in action:

[Linked Image]

For completeness sake, the pedal is connected to the DP main body through a MIDI connector, even though it only signals a continuity test (when pressed) on these pins:

Pins 3, 5: Left Pedal
Pins 2, 4: Middle Pedal
Pins 1, 4: Right Pedal

Here's a photo of the connector:

[Linked Image]

The pedals are now working again, this time a lot more silently, as they should. grin

On the next thread, we'll start dealing with the internals.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I can't see any of those pics.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I think it's your connection or computer, Ando. I see them fine.

T
tiagor Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Power input

Lets move on with the undressing of the DP. I'll start with the internals and will leave the keyboard for last.
Here is the frame with the keyboard already removed:

[Linked Image]

At least everything seems to be properly grounded. The major components are spaced apart so their identification was rather easy:

• Power supply (fused AC filter)
  • Power supply (transformer)
  • Power amplifier
  • Headphone inputs
  • Loudspeakers
  • Main controller (brains)
  • Key Scanner

The power chord goes from below the DP, straight to the on/off switch, and into the AC filter which precedes the transformer:

[Linked Image]

The layout of the AC filter:

[Linked Image]

The transformer outputs 3 different voltages which are plumbed into the power amplifier board and redistributed to other components. Here are the output voltages:

• +13.8V
  • -13.8V
  • 7.5V

[Linked Image]

Next post: Amplifier stage, headphone outputs and speakers[/u]

Last edited by tiagor; 12/31/11 03:06 PM. Reason: minor formatting
T
tiagor Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Amplipifier board, speakers and headphone inputs

The speakers are mounted face downwards, much as I've seen in any other DP. They are 4 ohm, 4.5" full range drivers. They are unbranded so their maker is unknown to me. As it seems to be usual, there is no enclosure whatsoever, so T/S parameters are somewhat irrelevant anyway.

The left speaker is next to the AC filter and in the upper left corner of the image you can see the headphone inputs. The black rubber hose beside it houses the power chord I mentioned on the previous post and ends at the power switch. Likewise you may see the two grey wires that return from the switch into the filter.

[Linked Image]

Here's a detail of the right speaker, unmounted from its position. I wonder how all that metal affects the sound. Certainly there are better ways to protect the speaker from unintended contact. frown

[Linked Image]

The headphone inputs seem to be a major problem with this DP because there's always a faint hum at both inputs. I suspect the cause is related to the big distance the audio signal must travel from the amplifier board to the connectors. The ribbon cable that brings the signal also seems quite an odd choice (quality wise) as I suspect it doesn't provide any shielding from all those power cables nearby. I soon intend to provide a better routing and carrier to the signal and see if I can improve the signal quality. As a last resort, a replacement of the position of the audio inputs and possibly the connector themselves is also an option on the table.

Here's a close-up of the cheap connectors:

[Linked Image]

Moving on to the amplifying board, I assume the 4 big diodes at the left form a full wave rectifying bridge with the big capacitors stabilizing the voltage from the transformer. At the left of the rather large heatsink is a 1A low voltage dropout regulator.

[Linked Image]

There are 2 TL072 opamps that may provide the amplification to the headphone outputs, but this is only wild guess at the time and I may be completely wrong about it. I couldn't identify the power transistor attached at the heatsink because it has an aluminum plate covering it at the front. I may unmount it a later time when I have thermal paste around if necessary to mount it again.
Finaly, the connectors at the top of the photo provide (left to right) 2 AUX inputs, and 2 line level outputs.

Next stop... the key scanner board.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission