2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, 8 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
This is my first post to the Forum. My best regards to all of you.

I am putting together a small studio and I have recently purchased Ivory II.

I am using a Korg SP-250 and a Komplete Audio 6 audio interface box, attached via usb to a decent pc.

I am using headphones but would like to purchase studio monitor speakers. I am looking at the Rokits but don't know which size might be best. The Rokit 5s at 45 Watts seem serviceable but small and I worry about the bass. The Rokit 6s at 68 Watts seem like they might work out nicely, but I am really wondering if I should go ahead and go for the Rokit 8s at 90 Watts. I may be splitting hairs here but I want to get this right.

If anyone has a comparable setup (or alternative recommendations)and can comment, I am all ears.

The price range of the Rokits is impressive @$300 for a pair of Rokit 5s, $400 for Rokit 6s, and $500 for Rokit 8s.

Thanks.

AZ_Astro

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I would go for the biggest speakers for the low range. On smaller speakers you will miss the bottom and I learned that is a big miss to get really into the sound. Or perhaps a satellite / sub system, although it has to be of excellent quality and carefully positioned. Full range speakers would be best. I wouldn't worry about the wattage/ volume they produce, more about the low range they can still forcefully reproduce.

K
K
Originally Posted by JFP
I would go for the biggest speakers for the low range. On smaller speakers you will miss the bottom and I learned that is a big miss to get really into the sound. Or perhaps a satellite / sub system, although it has to be of excellent quality and carefully positioned. Full range speakers would be best. I wouldn't worry about the wattage/ volume they produce, more about the low range they can still forcefully reproduce.

+1

K.

Kevin L. Spindler
Early Keyboard Instruments
Stonington, CT
Harpsichords & Clavichords
Custom Instruments Built to Order
Rebuilding, Repair & Restoration
http://www.facebook.com/kevin.spindler.129
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
If you are intent on not getting a sub, stick with the 8's probably. Personally I'd get the 6's and a subwoofer. Not sure how good the 5's are, but I've never really heard a 5 inch monitor I liked.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I have a pair of the KRK5 monitors because A)that's about all I could afford and B)my keyboard is in a very small room. While I'm not wild about the kind of flat sound through the monitors (at one time I used a set of floor speakers and a receiver sort of setup and liked the sound a little better but it all took up too much room), those little KRK handle bass quite well IMO. I have a bunch of vintage synth modules and the bass can really shake the house. My receiver and old speakers would distort any bass sounds.

I ran a subwoofer for awhile but as I really didn't seem to need it, I sold it. I haven't missed it yet.

Maybe room size had a lot to do with it, but since I do a lot of sound tweaking with the keyboard and synths, maybe I'm kind of making up for the lack of a sub.

Just my 2 cents...

Sandy

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I wasn't going to get a sub-woofer and I have borrowed a set of Rokit 6s which I am using right now. They seem pretty decent but I am wondering if I am missing some sounds from the bass side.

I am uneasy about the 5s but I am glad to hear that they are working out for you, piRound, in the small room.

Thanks for your insights.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
After an hour or two and talk with the people of the local Guitar Center, I ended up with Rokit 8s today.

I can say that I think there is a noticeable improvement in the bass of the piano.

And... I'm pleased!

Last edited by AZ_Astro; 09/22/12 07:21 PM.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission