2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,595 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1976286 10/20/12 01:48 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Trying to decide which DP to get. Tried the CN43 a few months ago and loved it, but heard something about it being discontinued and maybe should avoid for this reason... The CN34 appears to be newer, yet less expensive than the CN43. I haven't played it. So wondering if it's as good? Does it lack anything that the CN43 has? I really only care about great touch & sound (and the transpose feature).

Advice, opinions?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
playmeasong, the new CN34 inherits some of the additional features of the CN43, including an LCD display, 'USB to device' connectivity to play and record MP3/WAV/MID files to USB memory, hundreds of sounds (GM2 support) and drum patterns.

However, the CN43 features a more powerful speaker system and the 'Rhythm Section' backing accompaniments.

It's also worth bearing in mind that the CN34 features an improved keyboard action with triple-sensor key detection, and a brand new tone generator with more realistic reverb, effects, and resonances etc.

Essentially, if you liked the touch and sound of the CN43, you should also enjoy the touch and sound of the CN34. However, as with any instrument purchase, it's important to spend some time play testing the piano to ensure it's the one for you.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks a bunch, James!

It's odd to me they'd choose make the CN34 better in those other areas and but not the speakers, too bad. I wonder if it's enough to really matter.

Anyone know about how much the CA95 costs? I'm guessing a LOT more... Anything well over $3000 is out of my price range.

P
OP Offline
P
Just read some other posts about the CA95 and yeah --> can't afford.

S
S
I was wondering what prices you've seen for the CN34? I haven't been able to see it in any store yet. I'm thinking of either the CE220 or CN24 [or, if I can wait until January, perhaps trying the Celviano AP-650], as these are about the same price, although I haven't been able to try either out yet. I was just wondering how much more the CN34 is going for compared to the CN24?
Thanks.

A
A
Have you considered the CA65?
Should give you many of the benefits of the CA95 at a much cheaper price..

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by shgmd
I was wondering what prices you've seen for the CN34?

The price I was quoted was around $2500 before tax & delivery.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by abadaba
Have you considered the CA65?
Should give you many of the benefits of the CA95 at a much cheaper price..

Yes! But it's a bit out of my price range right now too... quoted around $3400. The dealer does have a couple of the CA63s left at what seems to be a good price... $2698 for a demo (used for piano lessons in the store) and new for $2898 or thereabouts. What do you think of that one?

He recommended it over the CN34 and CN43. So right now I'm considering either the CN43 or the CA63.

P
OP Offline
P
Those prices do not include tax & delivery.

S
S
Thanks very much, playmeasong. Knowing the CN34 is a little out of my budget, I'll focus more on the CN24 when it's available locally.
Thanks,
Steve

P
P

I was a Kawai CN43 owner for half a year, due to continuous quality issues with two different units I had my piano changed into CN34. In many ways they are the same, the biggest differences I've found so far (my CN34 is now 12hours old) :

-CN34 keybed feels much more firm and heavy. The touch is very good. I guess it's a matter of taste, but I like more this keybed (although need more playing hours
to get used to this). I also liked CN43 keybed.

-CN34 Reverb settings actually add reverb to sound (although the CN34 reverb sounds somehow unnatural).
In CN43 the reverb was very poor, Yamaha/Roland DPs produce

-The CN34 onboard amp/speaker system is poor compared to CN43. CN34 sound is quite muddy and closed (small stereo reproduction).
I'm not saying it's bad, but the onboard sound in CN43 was just so much more open, detailed, and crisp. The punch in lower registry was also much better in CN43.
For some people this would not make a difference, but for me the CN34 onboard sound is a dissapointment.
I have tried to use the EQ with different settings, but it just doesn't help. I was going to put some "Brilliance" into
the sound, but found out that the Brilliance setting has been dropped off in CN34.
If CN34 is to replace CN43, it is a big shame that Kawai decided not to move the CN43 speaker system into CN34.

As Kawai James and many other people have advised numerous times, please test play the specific models
to see/hear if the differences play any role for you.
I did not get to hear/play the CN34 before I decided to have it. With a test play I would probably have stayed with CN43.

Online Content
Pingviini,

Please bear in mind that the CN34 does not replace the CN43, it replaces the CN33, but inherits a number of the CN43's additional functions.

Originally Posted by Pingviini
CN34 sound is quite muddy and closed (small stereo reproduction).

Please note that the CN34 speaker specifications are the same as the CN33, however lower than the CN43:

CN33/CN34 speakers: 16 cm x 2, 20 W x 2
CN43 speakers: (16 cm x 2 + 5 cm x 2), 50 W x 2

Kind regards,
James
x

For me personally, DP sound system (speakers) quality is NOT important at all. Two reasons:
1. Even buying some cheap 2.1 Logitech speakers (50~100$) will give you much better sound than any low-mid range DP. Even better if you buy some studio monitors (200~500$).
2. When I practice, I swap speakers/headphones quite often and was sick of plugging/unplugging headphones cable all the time. It is really stupid there is no switch for selecting sound output (headphones/internal speakers/both) regardless jack connection. . At the moment both jack-out connectors are used (one for headphones, one for speakers) and I don't have to unplug anything.

Yamaha NP-V80 (sold)
Yamaha DGX640 (sold)
Kawai CL-36
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2
Hi, James,
could You tell something could have changed regarding CN44 in the time between, or just a typo or alike?
Originally Posted by KawaiJames
Originally Posted by Montano
If the CN 34 replaces the CN 43, as mentioned by James, the 2 new models CN 24 and CN 34 replace the CN 23, 33 and 43, and we can't expect a CN 44 in the near future?

Montano, you're correct. The CN24 replaces the CN23, while the CN34 replaces both the CN33 and CN43. I do not believe there are plans to introduce a CN44, as many of the attractive features have already found their way onto the CN34.

Kind regards,

James
And in this more recent post it seems to contradict somewhat to that:
Please bear in mind that the CN34 does not replace the CN43, it replaces the CN33, but inherits a number of the CN43's additional functions.

Background: quite some of us would evidently prefer RHII rather then GF in some premium package like the CA65 even in a price range next to it (better amp/boxes like the CN43 it already had /PHI XL, EQ for line In, more settings options, eg.user temperaments, connectivities... )

Online Content
Temperament, I'm not aware of any planned additions to the CNx4 product range.

Kind regards,
James
x

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission