2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,031 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#2089889 05/27/13 01:16 PM
Vid Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Here is the review that I posted on sweetwater:

Like the other reviewer this is the first time I have made a major purchase like this without trying it first. I was not disappointed! I am a classical player so what I was looking for is a practice instrument that is as good or even better than a real acoustic upright.

The action is very nice. I can tell its not a 100% real piano action but Kawai has done an excellent job in coming close. As I play I don't feel that disconnect that I experienced with other keyboards. The triple sensor does make fast passage work a lot smoother. The wooden keys and simulated ivory tops feel good to the touch.

The triple pedal unit works well and sits solidly on the floor. You can feel the gradations in the sostenuto pedal and does not quite feel continuous as it does on a real one but that's understandable given how it would need to be implemented. It is nice to finally have this kind of control and be able to use half pedal effects.

In my mind the big plus are the velocity curves. One of the most frustrating things with a standard digital piano is that you never feel you can get achieve real louds and softs. What striked me most when I first tried it was that I could achieve a real pp and even a ppp. At last this level of control is available from an electronic instrument! Once I figured out how to setup the right velocity curve for the software I discovered a world of difference. You feel connected with the keyboard and it feels like you are playing a real instrument, not just a simulation.

The only reason I'm giving it a 4.5 is the curved top. I guess maybe it was an aesthetic choice (and it does look nice) my laptop does not sit very well on it. Also a common occurrence now is that I leave my headphones on the top and they eventually slide off and hit the floor.

The service from sweetwater has been great! I am glad I was able to get this keyboard from them in Canada.

Some additional points - I spent nearly half a year searching for a replacement for my CLP 130 and the VPC1 was the most economical. For the type of classical playing the other really viable alternatives would be the Yamaha hybrids. While these are nice I decided to go with VPC1 because I was already hooked on software pianos.

I knew once I got a hybrid I would connect it to my computer and would then need to try to adjust the velocity curves to whatever the Yamahas output. I am very happy that I didn't go down this road and saved myself thousands of dollars! I'm not dissing these instruments its just they are not for me.

I know some forum members think the velocity curve feature is just hype. I can tell you from experience that it is not. At first I simply tried the 'standard' velocity curve and everything was okay but once I used the one provided for pianoteq (and G. Vintage D) it made a world of difference. I feel so much more in control of the sound, dynamics and voicing. Instead of my keyboard holding back my development I feel this setup will help me progress forward.

Bravo Kawai!

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
Vid #2089893 05/27/13 01:24 PM
Vid Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I forgot to mention I also added the Presonus Audiobox interface to my setup in preparation for speakers. With headphones alone it makes a noticeable difference in sound quality. I'm not sure (didn't check the numbers) but it also seems that it perceptibly decreases latency.

• Schimmel Upright

Vid #2089900 05/27/13 01:45 PM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Sounds brilliant. If I ever get another piano, it will probably be that (or very similar) provided I like the touch, of course. (The only Kawai I've been able to try - MP6 - I didn't like the action much).

Curious they've given it a curved top because you would want to put stuff on it. Currently, I have a screen, a computer and peripherals on top of the HP302, as well as music stand & books - one big advantage of this low cabinet design is that there's a large flat plain.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Vid #2089909 05/27/13 01:52 PM
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Have you noticed whether the keybed generates much noise?

I play using open type headphones at a tame volume. I do not want to hear anything from the keys myself. And, I am concerned about the noise bothering people around me, on the other side of a wall, or downstairs.

Vid #2089918 05/27/13 02:11 PM
Vid Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
It certainly isn't silent but I notice much less noise than I experienced on the Clavinova.

I think people would notice in the same room but probably not through a wall or through the floor.

• Schimmel Upright

Vid #2089922 05/27/13 02:20 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hi Vid, great review. I agree on all points. In particular, I think you are spot on concerning velocity curves. This is a great and very useful feature for all serious players, and depending on the sound the right curve adds substantially to the playability of the VPC1's action, which is very nice anyway.

o0Ampy0o, the keybed is the quietest I know in digital pianos.

Concerning the slightly curved top: Usually my Nord Electro sits on top (see my earlier post here), and I use a few small pads of hard foam between it and the VPC1 - solves all problems and protects the nice surface of the Kawai.

Edit: James, if you are reading - any news on a software update for MacOS users? We are waiting...

Last edited by maurus; 05/27/13 02:21 PM.
Vid #2089951 05/27/13 02:48 PM
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Vid,
Sorry for little OP, but I play often on CLP130. Do can say how it looks compared to the new CLP 4xx series, especialy with keyboard and sounds?
Is GH3/NW MUCH better than the one in Clp130? And what about its piano sound compared to the new clavinovas? Much I mean not litlle, but rather huge improvement.

Last edited by kapelli; 05/27/13 02:50 PM.
maurus #2089959 05/27/13 03:00 PM
There are lap laptop pillows, top of which is flat and rigid, seem just ideal for that purpose.

e.g.

Vid #2090394 05/28/13 01:05 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thank you for the positive review Vid - I'm glad the VPC1 was worth the wait. wink

Regarding the slightly curved top, there is actually a reason for this, however it's not really something I wish to explain on the forum. As Temperament suggests, if you're hoping to place your laptop on-top, I would recommend a proper slip-mat, pads, or a stand to ensure it sits securely, and also doesn't scratch the VPC1's glossy paintwork.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
maurus #2090395 05/28/13 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by maurus
James, if you are reading - any news on a software update for MacOS users? We are waiting...

I chatted to the VPC1 team leader about this earlier today. Unfortunately, I cannot go into detail, however I was happy with what he had to tell me. wink

Cheers,
James
x

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Kawai James
James, if you are reading - any news on a software update for MacOS users? We are waiting...

I chatted to the VPC1 team leader about this earlier today. Unfortunately, I cannot go into detail, however I was happy with what he had to tell me. wink

Cheers,
James
x

thumb

Vid Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you for the positive review Vid - I'm glad the VPC1 was worth the wait. wink

Regarding the slightly curved top, there is actually a reason for this, however it's not really something I wish to explain on the forum. As Temperament suggests, if you're hoping to place your laptop on-top, I would recommend a proper slip-mat, pads, or a stand to ensure it sits securely, and also doesn't scratch the VPC1's glossy paintwork.

Cheers,
James
x

I will probably get a small cabinet or something and place it beside me for all the peripherals. I prefer the keyboard top to be uncluttered anyways.

• Schimmel Upright

kapelli #2090693 05/28/13 01:47 PM
Vid Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kapelli
Vid,
Sorry for little OP, but I play often on CLP130. Do can say how it looks compared to the new CLP 4xx series, especialy with keyboard and sounds?
Is GH3/NW MUCH better than the one in Clp130? And what about its piano sound compared to the new clavinovas? Much I mean not litlle, but rather huge improvement.

I tried some of the new 4xx ones after trying the CA93 and hybrids and really didn't feel this series has advanced at all since the CLP 1xx. This is of course my biased opinion. I didn't go back and forth between the 430 and the 130 but I wasn't considering a newer clavinova as an upgrade in the first place. The hybrids and clavinovas were in the same show room so I guess it would be difficult to not be disappointed with them.

For me Kawai is the winner as far as piano action is concerned.

• Schimmel Upright

Vid #2091372 05/29/13 12:56 PM
A
A
David, thank you for your review! I will be receiving my VPC early next week - just received a call from SW... Had to wait almost two months for my per-order. I already have the other pieces of the setup in place. Went with Mackie Onyx Blackjack for audio interface and it works absolutely fabulous! I was able to reduce the latency from 35ms to 9ms compared to the laptop audio. I've got Yamaha HS80M monitors and they really sound lovely, a nice upgrade from my old setup! Right now, I use my Kurz PC3LE8 as the controller and it's a fine keyboard, but I'm totally ready to enjoy the realistic action, partial damper, una corda and velocity curves that VPC brings to the table.

Now, the only thing I am missing is the non-slip mat grin

Vid #2091438 05/29/13 02:26 PM
Vid Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Sounds like you're all set. I don't have speaker/monitors yet. I'm going to start with some hand-me down speakers and an old amplifier and go from there.

It is well worth the wait!

• Schimmel Upright

maurus #2091530 05/29/13 05:32 PM
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R

Cheers,
James
x

thumb

And I just bought me a Mac. yippie grin 3hearts smile

Oh James? .... About that Godzilla Metronome... smile
You wouldn't believe how much they charge for some of those dolls. sick

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
rnaple #2091913 05/30/13 03:48 AM
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by rnaple

Oh James? .... About that Godzilla Metronome... smile
You wouldn't believe how much they charge for some of those dolls. sick

I want one ;-) I heard there was a special customized version coming for the Kawai series, how great is that ?!

For my as of yet non-existing VPC. I'm with Vid - all set-up and in waiting state. Considering the reviews it should be worth while...

Vid #2091953 05/30/13 07:18 AM
R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Do have a serious question. Hoping to not take over the thread but to add to it...

I'm running Ivory.
Now with the velocity curves on the software with the VPC and the velocity curves in Ivory. Isn't that rather a double take? No need for Kawai to supply velocity curve settings other than suggested settings for Ivory?

My intuition is projecting an Ivory Kawai piano. Hint, hint....James?

Yes, of course I understand the velocity curves as applied to different software pianos. Good addition of Kawai.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
rnaple #2091973 05/30/13 08:12 AM
Now with the velocity curves on the software with the VPC...

Just to stop you there, the approved touch curves are stored within the VPC1's internal memory. The VPC Editor software is only used to adjust/create the touch (and other MIDI settings on the board) - it does not need to be running in order to take advantage of the approved touch curves.

Isn't that rather a double take? No need for Kawai to supply velocity curve settings other than suggested settings for Ivory?

I'm not sure I follow you. Do you mean why store approved velocity curves in the VPC1 instead of just including a preset touch curve for loading into Ivory? I expect it's because our keyboard engineering team prefer to use their software tools to prepare the touch curves.

Cheers,
James
x

Vid #2091994 05/30/13 08:51 AM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Vid
I know some forum members think the velocity curve feature is just hype. I can tell you from experience that it is not. At first I simply tried the 'standard' velocity curve and everything was okay but once I used the one provided for pianoteq (and G. Vintage D) it made a world of difference.

I would find it interesting to hear something played with the "standard" curve and then the same piece played using the "Kawai defined" velocity curve and see if there is a noticeable difference for the listener.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission