2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Cyph3r Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hey all, it's been awhile since I've posted here. I've currently got a Yamaha YDP-140 which is a fairly basic, low end DP that does the job. However I'm wanting something more. Awhile ago I played a whole bunch of DP's at a music store just for fun and when I got to the Kawai CN24 (actually might have been the CN23, this was quite a long time ago) I was blown away, I really liked it.

So now that I'm thinking of upgrading my YDP-140, I think I'll be going for the CA15... Is this a decent upgrade? No where near me stocks the CA15 so I can't try it out. But I really liked the CN, and the CA is going to be more of the same, just with better action, correct?

However if the general opinion is that it's not much of a upgrade, I think I'll hold off.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
The YDP-140 has GHS action, which is the low-end action of the Yamahas. The Kawai CA-15 has the RM3-II action. Kawai is definitely the better of the two and quite an upgrade. The CN I believe has the RH-II action. I have not played it, but the CA15 is very different from the CN24 or 23 you played. I really like the RM3-II action, but if you need a light action I don't recommend it. I prefer heavier, personally.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I'm more than a little biased, however I believe the CA15 would be a significant upgrade over your YDP-140. Much better action, piano sounds, speakers etc.

Perhaps the only downside to the CA15 is that it's a little lacking on additional features and sounds. However as a piano-oriented DP, it's a very nice instrument.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
E
E
I have a GHS DP at home and when trying in store found the RM3 II action on the CA15 to be far superior. I think it's about as significant an upgrade as your likely to get between DP's

Will you be able to try the CA15 yourself though?

C
Cyph3r Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Kawai James
I'm more than a little biased, however I believe the CA15 would be a significant upgrade over your YDP-140. Much better action, piano sounds, speakers etc.

Perhaps the only downside to the CA15 is that it's a little lacking on additional features and sounds. However as a piano-oriented DP, it's a very nice instrument.

Kind regards,
James
x

That's what I was thinking, it does seem like everything about the Kawai is far superior. I'm not too fussed about additional features and sounds, I'll only be playing with the piano sound and stuff anyway so that doesn't seem like a negative considering what I'll be using it for smile

I would stretch for the CA65 but unfortunately the CA65 is slightly larger and I just do not have the space, it physically wouldn't fit where it needs to go. However the CA15 seems like it'd just about squeeze in as it's slightly smaller.

Originally Posted by Enthusiast
I have a GHS DP at home and when trying in store found the RM3 II action on the CA15 to be far superior. I think it's about as significant an upgrade as your likely to get between DP's

Will you be able to try the CA15 yourself though?

Ah that's good to know it's generally considered to be superior. Unfortunately there is no way for me to try it out, but I am a massive fan of Kawai so I'm sure I'll be happy smile

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Check out the Kawai CN34 too, if you can. It doesn't have wooden keys but the action is still really great and (to me) feels pretty close to an acoustic, even playing side-by-side.

I have a Yamaha with a GH keyboard - definitely better than the GHS but it still feels like an electronic instrument.

Kawai has a different tone, but the sampling sounds a lot better to me.

I think it's a pity that the CA15 doesn't have an audio input. So no nice software Piano over the onboard speakers frown

10.000 clowns on a rainy day
M
M
Originally Posted by Phlox
I think it's a pity that the CA15 doesn't have an audio input. So no nice software Piano over the onboard speakers frown

This isn't done via audio input, but via MIDI. So it can run software pianos.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Yeah but you can't run the sound through the CA15's own speakers.

So then you have to use external speakers

M
M
Originally Posted by Phlox
Yeah but you can't run the sound through the CA15's own speakers.

So then you have to use external speakers

Oh ok, I missed your point about using the onboard speakers. Yes, you'd need to use headphones or separate speakers in this case.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Yep. smile

Are you home yet ?? wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Haven't tried the CA15, but I went straight from a CA65 to a CN24 and still thought the latter felt very good.

It seems a non sequitur when you say you tried the CN24, therefore you're thinking of getting a CA15. If you can't try a model, it's not an option - just forget it exists. I'm dubious that it would be worth the extra £350 anyway, but would certainly not fork out the extra untested!

BTW, the main effect of wood keys is to make a piano bigger, heavier, and more expensive. Some say it also smells nicer. The actual action, which is not made of wood (thank goodness), is not necessarily any better or more authentic. It could be better or worse, but feel is largely subjective so you'd have to try it yourself.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
"Haven't tried the CA15, but I went straight from a CA65 to a CN24 and still thought the latter felt very good."

THAT is one heck of a statement, assuming a slip of the fingers didn`t happen . . you`ll get banned for this stuff! (seriously, food for further investigation . . .) Very interesting . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
THAT is one heck of a statement, assuming a slip of the fingers didn`t happen . . you`ll get banned for this stuff!

Heh, heh. Doing my best! The CN24 is nice, although the UI is quite pathetic... I guess the CN34 is there in the range to provide a better UI, but they could at least have a 3-digit LED display and some +/- buttons... selecting functions using piano keys from a chart in the manual also needs to die ASAP.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
Originally Posted by lolatu
Originally Posted by peterws
THAT is one heck of a statement, assuming a slip of the fingers didn`t happen . . you`ll get banned for this stuff!

Heh, heh. Doing my best! The CN24 is nice, although the UI is quite pathetic... I guess the CN34 is there in the range to provide a better UI, but they could at least have a 3-digit LED display and some +/- buttons... selecting functions using piano keys from a chart in the manual also needs to die ASAP.

Those were amongst my thoughts when examining those pianos. The CN34 would`ve been nice. All things considered, I settled for the devil I knew. DGX 650 . . .Everything`s fine except the keyboard . . .it gets the job done and is a lot o` fun!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Well, I haven't spent much time on the CA15 but IMHO there's a hugh difference between this and CN24. First, the key weight and overall feeling is night and day. CN24 is very light compared to CA, which is more demanding. If you had to switch between DP and upright frequently, CA15 would be a better option in my oppinion.
Secondly, the sustain of single notes is, if I recall well, about a second longer on CA15 (maybe some reverb was involved here).
Things I didn't like of CA15:
-The speakers/sound projection. I found it to be poor, given the price (+- 1700€)
-It has no USB to device port.
-So-called furniture is terrible. Chip board panels, ugly as can be.
So to me, is one of those `almost great´ kawais: it could have been a killer but it's not.

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
Hi,
I have tried a CN34 and a CA15 some month ago. As I remember, the sound over internal speakers is much better in CN34 (CN24 should be idem), actually I didn't like the CA15 sound.

I strongly believe that, don't buy what you can't try, is good advice.

BR

Looking for a Piano to restart playing again.
Originally Posted by lolatu
BTW, the main effect of wood keys is to make a piano bigger, heavier, and more expensive.

...and closer to the touch of an acoustic piano.

Cheers,
James
x

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
...and closer to the touch of an acoustic piano.

James, that is quite a claim; is there any actual evidence that key material affects the touch? How is this measured, to make the claim that it's "closer"?

Measured evidence, no.

However, as explained on the Kawai MP website:

Originally Posted by www.KawaiMP.com/mp11/detail/touch
Wood has been the preferred material for acoustic piano keys for centuries, and was first introduced in Kawai digital pianos over 25 years ago. Yet despite the many improvements to acoustic and digital piano action technologies in recent years, engineers still recognise that wood remains the best material for the keyboard.

Please understand that Kawai pioneered the use of ABS and later ABS Carbon composite materials in the keyboard actions of acoustic pianos almost 40 years ago. Our engineers continue to improve the response speed and expressive quality of instruments, yet have stuck with wood as the primary material for the keyboard. Why is this? Because they like the smell? No, because it remains the best material for the job.

This notion is also supported by the vast majority of musicians who play-test and subsequently purchase a Kawai DP that features 100% real wooden keys. They do so because they understand that wooden keys offer the closest touch of an acoustic piano.

Kind regards,
James
x

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission