2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
kapelli Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
K
Since I am looking for the piano, and I love the grand shape, I invented something.
How to make a perfect DP when using the VPC1 action.

Ingrdients:
- VPC1 or other keyboard that you like
- computer powerful enough to handel VST instrument
- old grand piano

Now I will tell you for what you need the grand. You can buy the cheapest and damaged grand, until it's soundboard it's not cracked. Yes, it's soundboard needs to be all and that's all. Now, you need to buy few good transducers and proper amplifier to it. Than, you just need to screw the transducers to the soundboard and the job is done smile you will need few ones for differnt frequencies of course so difference sizes. Best would be to have the crossover to split the frequencies.

You need also to package nicely the vpc into the grand cabinet, and change the pedals.
How do you think, does it have chance to work and play well?
Of course, this would take real around of time to do, but the results could be astonishing.

Without speakers of course, only she soundboard.
And the best solution for the VST would be good tablet ling somewhere near the sheet stand, just because they are silent and computers make noise.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yamaha has done something like this. They've demonstrated it on a grand, but have only announced it shipping in an upright.

http://usa.yamaha.com/news_events/pianos_keyboard/yamaha_u1ta_pe_upright_piano/

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
You may be interested in some past threads related to your subject.

First Thread

Second Thread

I think there may have been others as well. It's a common and neat idea: use a worthless grand body and a nice DP to make a piano that sounds like a DP and works like a grand. I think there may be more to it than attaching transducers to the soundboard, though. Typically we have people attaching speakers in an array similar to that of the AvantGrands.

Usually when there is a "dead grand" isn't the problem with the soundboard? I'm not a piano tech, but that was my impression.

Last edited by gvfarns; 04/01/14 04:24 PM.
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Sounds like a fun project that might make for a great instrument, but not the road to a perfect DP. At the very least, the underlying samples/models need to have discreet multiple channels, be run through a DSP that understands what to do with those multiple channels and played back through a system that can output those multiple channels in a convincing way.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
(Edit: Sorry I missed part of the original post about not using speakers.)

I think about this from time to time.

One thing I consider: the soundboard in a piano is basically a big speaker. It is installed under stress such that it vibrates in accordance to the string frequencies.

A speaker is the same thing. Further, digital pianos record the the sound that is produced by the piano soundboard, so the material 'signature' in the sound is already captured. By using a piano soundboard, you are adding the signature of another piano, on top of the one that is already in the recorded sample.

Because of this, I don't know that a physical piano soundboard is what is needed - at least in the same manner it is used in an acoustic piano. I think speaker size/quantity/placement in a box (box meaning some wooden structure, not necessarily enclosed or sealed) made of the appropriate materials would suffice.

Obviously these are just my own thoughts and I could be wrong. It would be awesome to be able to test all this out. I don't really have or want to spend the time to really figure it all out smile

(Edit: one thing to think about is if you are using an old, beat up piano, you will get sounds from that piano. I have heard many pianos that I would NOT want to listen to!)

Last edited by Joe Garfield; 04/01/14 07:19 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission