2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
OP Offline
P
I just saw a post with a pretty similar question as mine, but still I think the difference is enough for me to create a new post:

I'm 19 and I want to play piano again (I played for about 1 year when I was young and even performed live, although I remember very few things)

After a lot of research I was considering buying casio PX-150 as it seems like a good piano and even though I didn't try it at a store yet, that ivory feel of keys seems like a very nice feature, as I do want a piano that feels good when playing the keys.

The thing is that now I have the opportunity to buy something more expensive, up until around 1200$ (880€) and I'd like to ask if should do it or if I should just buy the casio one. Usually this wouldn't need a question: go for what is better!
My only concern is if the keys of those pianos are actually as good as the ones of PX-150 (at least people say they are good)

Any advice? thanks

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
For this price, I believe the PX150 is the best you'll get - it's really very good: on a par with Roland's PHAIII/IV, Kawai's RHII and Yamaha GH. Most pianos with those actions cost a lot more than the Casio PX range. There could be features in the PX 350, 750, 850 or 5S that would suit you better.

And if possible, I'd try the Roland, Kawai and Yamaha pianos in that price range, just to make sure you don't actually prefer the touch, features or sound of those.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
I have a PX-350, essentially the PX-150 with lots more voices, auto-rhythm, auto-accompaniment, and better connectivity ("Line In / Line Out" jacks, real MIDI In/Out), slightly better loudspeakers. And about $200 more than the PX-150.

. . . If you want "just a piano", the PX-150 should work fine.

I haven't tried the newer low-end Kawai and Roland pianos -- the ES100 and F-20. A year ago, to beat the PX-150 / PX-350 keyboard "feel", you had to go to _at least_ a Yamaha P155 (with Yamaha "GH" keyboard mechanism)(and that improvement was marginal, IMHO).

The P155 is available at reduced prices, now - it's getting to be an "old design". And the new P255 is available (with the same keyboard mechanism as the P155).

You really should visit a shop, and try out some digital pianos. It's hard to know what you would like. It's hard to judge what _somebody else_ will think, about the question:

. . . "How close is this digital piano, to an acoustic piano?"

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
P
OP Offline
P
I'm grateful for your help guys. A great sound of Grand Piano really important for me, and only after that I care about the sounds (which indeed I appreciate aswell, but if to have both I had to pay way too much, I'd stick with the true piano sound)

From what i've read, I understood that yamaha is overall much better than casio (since casio is more "voices-oriented") So yeah I was considering buying one of those nice yamaha (p105, DGX650, p155) but if px-150 keys touch is better I'd might just buy it as I really don't like plastic feel of keys or some other annoying peculiarity.

So if you guys say the px-350 is just the same and adds the sounds and stuff, I might consider it instead. Although I'll still visit some store and try both casio and yamaha pianos to see if that difference in keys is really that impactful for me.

Again, thanks for the feedback smile

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Just to clarify - because I've just reread the first paragraph of my post above and it's not clear - I'm referring to the various keyboard actions available from the main DP makers. That is the one thing that you should certainly be happy and secure with before buying, as it can't really be modified - sound engine and amp/speakers can be improved or changed, if necessary.

Having said that, the lowest end DPs do suffer from having weak amp/ speaker systems, even though the piano sounds are usually very good. If you're going to use headphones, it's no problem. IF you're going to rely on speakers, then it's worth scaling up or plugging the DP into something better (eg active monitors or a hi-fi). But the piano sound is often difficult to match up with external speakers, so a good, powerful internal amp/ speakers may be worth paying more for......just something to consider.

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

P
OP Offline
P
Yeah I might use headphones a few times so I don't bother neighbors but what can I say, hearing the piano lound and clear is just to good to ignore right.. I might take that into consideration.

So according to that, you advise me the PX-350 and the others above when it takes to the amps/speakers instead of PX-150 ?

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
PedrojbP, you should go to the shop and try yourself the pianos. On each price level, there are bid differences in terms of sound, projection and touch. Each of them has something you may like or not like. There are six companies worth try: Casio PX series, Yamaha P series, Kawai es100 and CL series, Roland F20 (and they had one more cheap also, don't remember the number now) and Korgs.

Try what you have available and but the one which you like best. If you don't care about bells&whistles, it's even better for you.

Each of them has something you may like, not like, or what will remove the from your list. and you don't have to try the particular models, most of them withing the same same price bracket share the same sound&touch technology, so even if you will not try the correct one, you will get the idea what's the vision of company.

Take in mind, that they have their limitations, but even those 4 times more expensive have wink but unless you want to become second Lugansky, this should not bother you.

Just buy the one you feel comfortable with sound and touch combined, on that market there no bad choices (well, ok, they are, but we do not discuss them here). You cannot go wrong with any of big 5, however, you can go a bit better with some of them wink

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Just to mention something - not sure where you are region / country wise - with you mentioning euro as the currency.

In the UK, at least, the PX-150 is currently being sold in a special offer bundle, with the official stand (CS67) and pedal board (CP33). And some vendors chucking in a decent bench / stool with that, too, for the same price as the PX-150 was selling beforehand.

I've just bought one for an upstairs room to replace where I had a Yamaha keyboard on a x-frame stand, and I'm very happy with it.

Same action and fundamental piano as my main digital piano (AP-245 / AP-250) that I have in my downstairs lounge.

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the feedback kapelli, no I don't care at all about bells & whistles, the only voice or sound besides the most common ones (grand piano etc) I like is really the electric guitar considering I'm a fan of Ronald Jenkees and I really like some of his music.

Lester, I'm from Portugal though. (also I believe you wanted to say the bundle is about PX-350 and not 150? laugh )

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by PedrojbP
Lester, I'm from Portugal though. (also I believe you wanted to say the bundle is about PX-350 and not 150? laugh )

No, I meant, and want to say the bundle is about the PX-150 because it is for the PX-150.

P
OP Offline
P
oh, you're right... Is it available for shipping?

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by PedrojbP
oh, you're right... Is it available for shipping?

I would have thought that in Europe, best off looking at thomann.de (they look to sell it as a bundle, perhaps not quite as cheaply as some of the UK vendors, but not far off).

There's also woodbrass, but they don't appear to be showing the same bundle.

I don't know whether the UK websites provide european shipping, I guess the only way would be to check - although I can't help but think that thomann.de is your best bet for shipping to Portugal.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
You've got Thomann with the compete bundle at €719 http://www.thomann.de/pt/casio_px_150_bk_privia_deluxe_bundle.htm

or the English shop Gear4Music at €662: http://www.gear4music.pt/pt/basket/show

Neither of those is offering the bundle free, though - it's an extra €150 - 200. And, as usual, things are more expensive to Portugal, partly because of the high VAT rate.

But those prices include transport to Portugal, so not too bad. Also, Thomman's bungle is better than the other. Thomann's bench is a proper piano stool and they throw in headphones. And as far as I'm concerned, Thomann is very reliable.

I think Lester Burnham must have been talking about other UK outlets.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by toddy
You've got Thomann with the compete bundle at €719 http://www.thomann.de/pt/casio_px_150_bk_privia_deluxe_bundle.htm

or the English shop Gear4Music at €662: http://www.gear4music.pt/pt/basket/show

Neither of those is offering the bundle free, though - it's an extra €150 - 200. And, as usual, things are more expensive to Portugal, partly because of the high VAT rate.

But those prices include transport to Portugal, so not too bad. Also, Thomman's bungle is better than the other. Thomann's bench is a proper piano stool and they throw in headphones. And as far as I'm concerned, Thomann is very reliable.

I think Lester Burnham must have been talking about other UK outlets.

Indeed I was - although I didn't know how far and wide the offer was (including the stand and pedal board at the same price as the normal PX-150 price).

That said, from briefly looking at the gear4music site you linked to, the bundle (admittedly with an x-frame bench) seems cheaper (at €649) than the PX-150 by itself (€665.23).

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Oh, gosh, you're right! The bundle is actually cheaper than the keyboard only, at Gear4music. Even so, it's a toss up whether Thomann or Gear4Music is better - I very much doubt you'll get a much better deal from reputable shops, including properly managed transport for those prices (€719 and €662.51 respectively including shipping costs)

P
OP Offline
P
Yeah I've been watching thomann and woodbrass already to be honest, that would probably be where i'll buy my piano as like you said they seem trustful and have decent prices, although I'm still waiting to see if I there is a nice insane deal on woodbrass for a nice piano.

It seems a bit strange that on Gear4Music the bundle is cheaper than the piano itself, is it trustful?

Thanks for all the help though guys wink

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I do not know about Gear4music personally, but I think it's OK - never heard a bad word about it. The pricing of the bundle is a special offer, which makes the pricing strange.

But I have ordered several times from Thomann and they are great - fair prices, free delivery with orders over €200. Not the cheapest, probably, but just about the most trustworthy. Also, the packaging is very well done.

R
R
Hi PedrojbP, im also from Portugal and im thinking in buying a px150 too, i have not decided yet between px150 or es100, i want to make a good deal and the cheapest possible, but my advice to you is to go to the local shops and maybe you can get a better or similar deal instead of ordering online, if the price in the local store is higher than online try to negociate with them. what city do you live in?

P
OP Offline
P
Hey, Barcelos (Braga) smile

R
R
Im from Porto, i believe you have some good local stores there to try digital pianos and make a deal, try the casios, yamahas and kawais and then you can decide what is the best for you, the kawai es100 will be in stores in july, it costs around 640€, thats what i will do, ill go to stores to try the keyboards and see what i like more than i will try to get the best price to buy smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission