2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
cullam Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I bought my beloved Triton (61 key model) way back when they first came out. Almost 15 years later, it's really showing it's age, and I need to buy something new for use on stage, with a live band.
I use a two keyboard setup, with a Roland RD700 as my weighted controller, going into the Triton, which contains all of my sounds and more complex setups. We don't use any pre-recorded sequences, so I'm just looking for something where I can set up a stack of sounds and performance setups, and be able to select them quickly on stage. Basically, I'm looking to get something newer and more modern than my Triton, but that behaves in a similar way. I tried switching to a Receptor, but the learning curve was too steep, and I never got it to the point that I could rely on it running on stage with nothing going wrong. So I'm probably going to try and sell it, and go look for a plain old fashion work station.
So, any suggestions? Last time I was vaguely looking at this, the Korg M50 was probably the board to beat. Any idea what the new landscape is looking like?
Thanks!
-cullam

Piano teacher and bar entertainer.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Kronos. Anything else and you'll miss the touch screen. I had a Triton, sold it for a Motif. Brought it back within a week and got a Triton Extreme (already sold Triton.) Many reasons why but the touch screen the main reason.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Kronos 73, a perfect fit on top of your RD700

C
cullam Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I tried a Korg Krome earlier today (after posting this). Seemed to be pretty good for a straight changeover, as all the interfaces and sounds felt immediately familiar. Although I'd definitely like to try the Kronos for comparison.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Yes, Krome and Kronos are the current boards to look at, as they will have much of the familiar Korg interface, and the touch screen. (Krome replaced the M50.) Sticking with an unweighted action likr your 61 (over your weighted 88), the Krome comes in 61 and 73, the Kronos only in 61. The Krome, like the M50 and Triton, is a sample-based rompler. The Kronos is a more advanced sample-based rompler, plus has 8 other sound engines for better sound/flexibility for specific kinds of sounds (pianos, EPs, tonewheel organ, assorted virtual analog synth models, etc.), and also has aftertouch and more connectivity and controllers. You can also load your own streaming samples. Basically... the Kronos is best, the Krome is you need to spend less or want a lighter weight 61 or a semiweighted 73.

Last edited by anotherscott; 05/25/15 02:30 PM.
C
cullam Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Cool, thanks guys. Now, if only I can find someone who wants to buy my Receptor, as I've never gotten that much use out of it, ha ha.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission