2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 12 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Noonie Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I would estimate that I play with headphones 70% of the time. When I'm not using headphones, I'm reliant on the DP's speakers. I've heard, but not researched, about people using software through their computer, and external speakers, to improve the sound quality (more acoustic like?). I'm wondering if I want to "go there", and if it's worth it given I would use it somewhat infrequently.

Is there an easy to grasp reference of how it works, of the software choices, what's needed, etc?

Can you alternatively use only speakers (amp and speakers)? Which may be easier than a computer (I like it simple).

Note - I do not want it louder, just more acoustic like (different, if better to me). I have a Roland HP603. I'm generally very happy with its sound, but I want to know what I don't know...and if it's relatively easy to improve sound quality, might be worth it (as I get more seriously into enjoying the piano).

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
At the moment, there is no digital keyboard (even with top high price) in the market with internal sounds and speakers that better sounding compare to external quality speakers and top piano virtual software. In this situation your keyboard will be connected through midi (real midi or usb midi) at the back of your keyboard to pc and pc to external audio interface (for better sounding instead of internal sound card from PC). After this route, you will never go back. But some people dont want to mess around with this, so its up to you to decide. For me midi + pc + audio card + speakers or headphones is the only way. I like this freedom to choose different things. Every time I play on most expensive Yamaha Avantgrand n3 I am more in love with midi and the rest for much lower price. Lots of people who has for example avantgrand, still connect it to PC for better sounding piano.
But for live stage with band, keyboard itself with own sounds is still more practical.

For Piano software I warn you that this is a story without end. I like this way, but maybe you dont. They grow and with every new piano on the market they sound more and more realistic. There are many many piano VSTs out there, and for the start digg in this forum, you will find lots of informations and different opinions about them. Check pianos demos from company sites for example, VSL, Garritan, Synthogy ivory, Modartt pianoteq, Galaxy instruments, VI labs, Cinesamples, etc etc... Some pianos have standalone program options and some require other program, for example NI Kontakt is a standard program to play lots of piano and other instrument libraries. I know, it sound complicated for the moment, but really its not, it is fun.

Last edited by slobajudge; 06/27/16 06:51 AM.
C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
Yes, you may get a significant improvement using the DP's built-in sounds, and improving the loudspeaker system.

you don't say what headphones you're using. If they're good ones (translates to "cost $100 or more"), you're hearing pretty much what the built-in sound generator is producing. If not, start chasing this will-o-the-wisp by getting better headphones.

Note - I do not want it louder, just more acoustic like (different, if better to me). I have a Roland HP603.

That DP has the Roland "Supernatural Modelling" sound generator. IMHO, it's pretty good. I haven't tested it against Pianoteq, or one of the "sampled piano" software pianos.

From Roland's website:

Speakers: 12 cm (4-3/4 inches) x 2

Rated Power Output30 W x 2

Volume Level (SPL): 106 dB
(This value was measured according to the method that is based on Roland's technical standard.)

Those speakers, and that power, _cannot_ give you "acoustic-like sound". For one thing, they don't have enough low-bass response. For another, they can't play as loud as an acoustic, and that limit on loudness creates some problems with the _perceived_ quality of the bass. [See "fletcher-munson curve" for a discussion.]

If you like the HP603's sound through headphones, a pair of "powered monitor" loudspeakers (with considerably more power, and 7" or 8" woofers) would be able to give you a similar sound. That is, they'll let you hear everything the built-in sound generator can produce.

Something else you might consider:

. . . Add a subwoofer to the existing speaker system.

A "consumer-grade" powered subwoofer, with an 8" woofer, might make a substantial difference. Some people here have done that, and found it worthwhile.

If you don't like the built-in sound through headphones, larger speakers won't help. In that case, you have only one path forward:

. . . Investigate software pianos.

I don't know of a single source that explains what the options are. Read this forum for a while, you'll get a good view of the terrain.

You might also visit the Pianoteq website. There are good discussion of their technology, and the User Forum is worth looking at.

For Piano software I warn you that this is a story without end.

+1, unfortunately.<g>

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
N
Noonie Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hi Charles,

I like the sound through the headphones (they're monitor headphones, brand might be Samson). If I went the route of powered monitor loudspeakers with woofers, I'm assuming I plug these into the input jacks for speakers, and they're ready to go, unless the headphones are plugged in (or I unplug them to use headphones...either way that sounds straight forward). I'm not an audio buff but I'll start exploring.

Thanks (fellow canuck ;-)

C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Noonie
Hi Charles,

I like the sound through the headphones (they're monitor headphones, brand might be Samson). If I went the route of powered monitor loudspeakers with woofers, I'm assuming I plug these into the input jacks for speakers, and they're ready to go, unless the headphones are plugged in (or I unplug them to use headphones...either way that sounds straight forward). I'm not an audio buff but I'll start exploring.

Thanks (fellow canuck ;-)

If your DP has "Line Out" jacks, connect those to the inputs of the powered speakers. ["powered speaker" = amplifier + loudspeaker in one cabinet.]

If the DP only has headphone jacks, connect a stereo headphone jack (probably using a "splitter cable") to the inputs of the powered speakers. Headphone jacks aren't exactly at "line level", but you can adjust the volume of the DP to make things work OK.

. Charles
N
Noonie Offline OP
OP Offline
N
This is what is listed in the specs:

DC In jack
Input jacks: Stereo miniature phone type
Output (L/Mono, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
USB Computer port: USB B type
USB Memory port: USB A type
Phones jack x 2: Stereo miniature phone type, Stereo 1/4-inch phone type

C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C

Output (L/Mono, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type

Those are "Line Out" jacks.

. Charles

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission