2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,596 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
LR26 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hello, is anyone using VSL CFX on a M1 MacMini with only 8gb RAM? If so, how well is it working?
Thanks.

J
J
I'm using Apple MainStage on a Mac Mini M1 with 16G with Garittan CFX Abbey Road as my main piano VST. On a patch using only the CFX the processor varies between 15 and 30% use. I've been using it for more than 2 years and it never failed. I have other patches combining multiple sounds for other VSTs and it never crashed, never cut, never overloaded. And this computer is dead silent. I never heard the fan running. It is as silent as an iPad.

Kawai MP7SE
I
Online Content
I
The issue would not be processor usage, but memory usage. I imagine if you run the VST alone, 8GB RAM should be enough. Problem could arise when you run the VST alongside some other applications at the same time - if the combined RAM usage (including whatever the operating system uses) exceeds 8GB, then some of those memory pages would have to be swapped to the SSD drive which would be slower and may cause hiccup.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Thanks, guys, for the details! This is something I'm considering at the moment and real world info is helpful!

I
Online Content
I
Bellyman, I would strongly recommend against getting a 8GB RAM Mac. When Apple claim 8GB is enough, they are talking about average users who browse the web and watch stream videos. Whatever magic Apple is doing with their unified architecture, there is no magic bullet when you use app(s) that need large amount of memory.

Here is another scenario that matters to me, and maybe to you, too. On the small (but not rare) chance that an app is only available on Windows but not on MacOS, you can run a windows virtual machine (VMware, Parallels) inside a Mac. When doing so, you need to allocate RAM to the virtual machine. Windows needs at least 4GB RAM to run. If your Mac has only 8GB RAM, you can't spare that much.

I don't have a Mac but running VSL pianos on Windows can require a lot of power, depending on how many microphones and other features you enable. Otherwise there's severe crackling.

The minimum Mac memory VSL lists for the CFX is 16GB, with 32GB recommended: https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Synchron_Pianos_Bundle/Yamaha_CFX#!System_Requirements

The challenge with the Mac Mini, as I understand, is that it's not user upgradeable so you're pretty much locked into the initial configuration you buy.

You might also post your question on VSL's forum: https://forum.vsl.co.at/category/43/synchron-piano-series

Jane - expert on nothing with opinions on everything
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by iternabe
Bellyman, I would strongly recommend against getting a 8GB RAM Mac. When Apple claim 8GB is enough, they are talking about average users who browse the web and watch stream videos. Whatever magic Apple is doing with their unified architecture, there is no magic bullet when you use app(s) that need large amount of memory.

Here is another scenario that matters to me, and maybe to you, too. On the small (but not rare) chance that an app is only available on Windows but not on MacOS, you can run a windows virtual machine (VMware, Parallels) inside a Mac. When doing so, you need to allocate RAM to the virtual machine. Windows needs at least 4GB RAM to run. If your Mac has only 8GB RAM, you can't spare that much.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Doing a little looking, it would appear that if I wanted to run CFX to its fullest potential, I am into a technical area ($) where I'm beyond my means at this point in time. Good to know what is needed, though, as I may be able to revisit it sometime in the future.

J
J
Originally Posted by Bellyman

Thanks for the thoughts.

Doing a little looking, it would appear that if I wanted to run CFX to its fullest potential, I am into a technical area ($) where I'm beyond my means at this point in time. Good to know what is needed, though, as I may be able to revisit it sometime in the future.

Just to clarify, do you already have an 8GB M1 Mac? I’d so, there’s no harm in demoing the VSL CFX and seeing how your machine handles it. I have a feeling it would probably perform perfectly fine. Even with multiple mics, the memory required to load the samples rarely gets above 2GB.

However, if you’re considering getting a new Mac and wondering how much RAM you should get, I would strongly recommend at least 16GB, as it will be able to handle more intense applications in the long term.

I recently got an M2 Mac Mini with 16GB memory and it can handle anything VST-related that I throw at it in no problem.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by jdg78
Just to clarify, do you already have an 8GB M1 Mac? I’d so, there’s no harm in demoing the VSL CFX and seeing how your machine handles it. I have a feeling it would probably perform perfectly fine. Even with multiple mics, the memory required to load the samples rarely gets above 2GB.

However, if you’re considering getting a new Mac and wondering how much RAM you should get, I would strongly recommend at least 16GB, as it will be able to handle more intense applications in the long term.

I recently got an M2 Mac Mini with 16GB memory and it can handle anything VST-related that I throw at it in no problem.

I do not currently have a machine that's a good fit for a VST. I had hoped to get one. Not wanting to buy something that may not be up to the task and haven't seen the specs suggested in machines I can afford right now.

5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
I used to run it on a dual-core 2013 Windows laptop with 6GB of RAM.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Bellyman
Originally Posted by jdg78

I do not currently have a machine that's a good fit for a VST. I had hoped to get one. Not wanting to buy something that may not be up to the task and haven't seen the specs suggested in machines I can afford right now.

Maybe if costs are an issue, a refurbishment Mac might be the way to go.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
I
Online Content
I
Bellyman, after reading JaneF's comment about Yamaha CFX requiring 16GB RAM as minimum on a PC, I got curious and read up a little more. It seems like there are two different types of virtual instruments.

Sampled, like VSL, use recordings of real instrument. Because piano produces a range of color at various dynamics, plus the resonance when strings not played interacts with the one being played, the only way to faithfully reproduce the instrument is to record as many samples as practically possible. Samples are essentially recorded audio files and they are large, and require lots of memory to playback polyphonically. This is why its RAM requirement is high. This is also why built-in sampled based sound in digital pianos are usually not that good due to hardware limitation.

Modeled, like VST, takes MIDI (positions, timing & velocity of key presses) as input, and use computation model to generate the final sound wave. This requires very little memory. And in the case of Pianoteq 8, quite small amount of processor power as well. Consider Pianoteq can even run on an iPad, it should work fine on any modern Mac is that is the only thing running.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Doug M.
Maybe if costs are an issue, a refurbishment Mac might be the way to go.

That's pretty much my only option at this point. And that isn't a static kind of thing... always "new" stuff coming on the market and being sold. So I'll keep an eye out there for something that seems to have good specs and value for my limited funds.

Thanks!

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
... It seems like there are two different types of virtual instruments.

Yes, that's what I've been concluding as well.

The modeled ones like Pianoteq 8 require a lot of CPU, not so much memory while the sampled ones demand quite a lot from RAM.

If I'm gonna get set up with VST's, though, I'd really rather not go cheap to start and then wish I'd spent more / gotten more in about 30 minutes of play. (Don't wanna cry twice as the saying goes.) So if I'm gonna take the plunge, I pretty much want enough power to play any virtual piano out there to its fullest.

Hope that makes sense.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by LR26
Hello, is anyone using VSL CFX on a M1 MacMini with only 8gb RAM? If so, how well is it working?
Thanks.

Hey LR26, I hope the thread hasn't taken off into places that aren't useful to you. I kinda jumped in and started talkin' and a few of these guys have really stepped up with info, most of which seems like it might relate to what you were asking originally.

Never meant to step on toes or hijack if that's the way it came across. Just wanted to make sure of that and apologize if such is called for.

Hoping you're finding useful input as well!

L
LR26 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi, no thanks for everyone's thoughts/information. I did receive a response from VSL chat today, "The RAM load depends on the preload settings in the piano:
https://www.vsl.info/en/tutorials/faqs/technical#preload-size

Using fast SSD drives allows using lower preload size, which means that fewer samples need to be loaded into RAM.

When enabling all eleven microphones (which is an unrealistic scenario, as most of the mixer presets use three to five microphones) while using a preload setting 3072, the piano takes just 3,1 GB of RAM.

So your computer should handle it fine :)".

So I think it should work. I was just hoping to get confirmation from someone with my setup.

L
LR26 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I appreciate all the ideas and comments. I heard back from VSL Chat, "The RAM load depends on the preload settings in the piano:
https://www.vsl.info/en/tutorials/faqs/technical#preload-size

Using fast SSD drives allows using lower preload size, which means that fewer samples need to be loaded into RAM.

When enabling all eleven microphones (which is an unrealistic scenario, as most of the mixer presets use three to five microphones) while using a preload setting 3072, the piano takes just 3,1 GB of RAM.

So your computer should handle it fine :)"

It sounds like I can run VSL on my mac mini.

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Hi LR26. I can help you because I have that exact setup (mac mini m1 with 8gb) and VSL CFX standard and VSL d274 full,but you need to have some patience. I still use my PC laptop as my main piano machine, and the m1 is disconnected until I have everything setup. But over the weekend I can plug it in and run a few tests. I usually use 2-3 mics at most and the m1 was laughing at that (my i5 laptop sometimes stutters).

So, my firat comment is "it will be more than enough", but give me a few days and I can confirm its limitations (or lack of...).

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Since you are stuck with the memory you choose when you buy an m1 mac mini - why not get the most you can to plan for future?

Yamaha P515
Steinway A2
L
LR26 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi vagfilm, thank you very much for testing this. It's exactly what I was looking for before I spent the time and money on the VSL.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission