I Need a Leg

Posted by: elabell

I Need a Leg - 03/01/10 10:35 PM

My wife has a white Kincaid Consol with a broken leg. I can't find a replacement (without buying a new piano) anywhere and to have one custom made is prohibitively expensive. Can anyone help me?...is there a "junk yard" of pianos where I may be able to find one?
Posted by: Gene Nelson

Re: I Need a Leg - 03/01/10 11:43 PM

Locate a piano rebuilder. www.ptg.org is a good place to start. Broken legs are not that difficult.
Do you have all of the pieces?
Most broken parts can be glued back together or otherwise repaired. Likely there is no need to scrounge for spare parts from junker pianos.
Posted by: pianobroker

Re: I Need a Leg - 03/02/10 12:59 AM

As Gene stated,if you have the pieces it can most likely be repaired. If not,it would be easy enough to replace BOTH legs. A refinisher is who you need to contact. Where are you located ?
Posted by: Rich Galassini

Re: I Need a Leg - 03/02/10 09:21 AM

Good advicew from PB. Depending on the break, your best repair might be two new matching legs.

Good luck with the repair though. Try that first. It may be the appropriate fix and it will certainly cost less $$$.
Posted by: elabell

Re: I Need a Leg - 03/03/10 10:40 PM

Thank you everyone for the advice. Unfortunately the break is a not-so-clean, complete break; there's no salvaging the leg. I'll look into the suggestions you gave me...that's a good idea about having two new legs made.
Posted by: BDB

Re: I Need a Leg - 03/04/10 12:07 AM

Some of the supply houses may have legs available. It will depend on the size and style, and how picky you are about matching. It probably does not pay to be too picky, because an exact duplicate could cost more than replacing the piano.

Some furniture repair shops may have catalogs of suitable legs, as well.