Young Chang Piano

Posted by: L1037

Young Chang Piano - 02/18/08 08:32 PM

Hello,

A salesman at a piano store offered me a new Young Chang Studio upright (either 48" or 52") in polished or shiney ebony black with bench, delivery, and tax included for $3,200. Is this a good deal?

Thanks for reading!
Posted by: Dave_E

Re: Young Chang Piano - 02/18/08 09:01 PM

Which model?
Posted by: Steve Cohen

Re: Young Chang Piano - 02/18/08 09:12 PM

Yes, unless it is made in China.
Posted by: guest1013

Re: Young Chang Piano - 02/19/08 11:20 AM

L1037, it's nice to hear that you're shopping for pianos. Good luck.

Re: Young Chang Piano - 02/19/08 11:21 AM

oops double post.
Posted by: L1037

Re: Young Chang Piano - 02/19/08 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by guest1013:
L1037, it's nice to hear that you're shopping for pianos. Good luck. [/b]
Thanks!
Posted by: diinin

Re: Young Chang Piano - 02/19/08 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Cohen:
Yes, unless it is made in China. [/b]
The only Young Chang's made in China are the Bergmann and some of the Essex lines (if Y.C. still makes those), from what I understand, unless something has changed recently.

That sounds like a very good price to me, regardless of the model. If it's a YP-52, then it's an excellent price.

The big question is--how did you like it? Do you like the tone, touch, and action?

Re: Young Chang Piano - 02/19/08 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by diinin:
[
The big question is--how did you like it? Do you like the tone, touch, and action? [/QB]
L1037,I agree, take your time to see if you have a preference between these or even some other piano. If your reaction is lukewarm, then you may not enjoy your time practicing.
Posted by: Utrumpet

Re: Young Chang Piano - 02/19/08 05:09 PM

Even if it's a Chinese built YC $3,200 for a 48 or 52" Studio is a good price. I have a 48" Young Chang on my floor built in China and it plays great. Nice piano for the price. If you like the way it plays, I'd say go for it.
Posted by: Poisy

Re: Young Chang Piano - 02/19/08 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Utrumpet:
Even if it's a Chinese built YC $3,200 for a 48 or 52" Studio is a good price. I have a 48" Young Chang on my floor built in China and it plays great. Nice piano for the price. If you like the way it plays, I'd say go for it. [/b]
Even my local store quoted me a 49" UP125M1 Pearl River for $4000 or 47" UP118E for $3000; therefore a 52" YC = excellent price I'd think.

Re: Young Chang Piano - 02/19/08 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Poisy:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Utrumpet:
Even if it's a Chinese built YC $3,200 for a 48 or 52" Studio is a good price. I have a 48" Young Chang on my floor built in China and it plays great. Nice piano for the price. If you like the way it plays, I'd say go for it. [/b]
Even my local store quoted me a 49" UP125M1 Pearl River for $4000 or 47" UP118E for $3000; therefore a 52" YC = excellent price I'd think. [/b]
L, I saw a 48" Palatino for $3890 list price on Rick Jones website; you have to call for the price(I presume for lower)for which Rick Jones is offering it. Maybe there is a Palatino to compare against in your area.

Edit added: I mention this, because I think there are a couple of parts to the question: "Is it a good deal?" One part is considering Young Chang by itself. Second is considering what other piano can you get for similar price, convenience, service, location, etc.
Posted by: Glenn Treibitz

Re: Young Chang Piano - 02/20/08 02:11 AM

Sounds like a great price. We just took on the Young Chang line this past week, and as a pianist I am impressed. The build quality of the Chinese and Korean products is outstanding and the surprising thing to me is, the action and tone on the Chinese made product is as good and better then many of the "higher end" Chinese made pianos and at a much lower price. Plus you have a company that has been building pianos for 50 years behind it and warranty backed up by Hyundai.

Re: Young Chang Piano - 02/20/08 01:59 PM

That is very interesting to hear Glenn!
Thank you, I am mistaken in implying that Palatino is similar to Young Chang, as far as Larry Fine's book is concerned. I am curious about Steve Cohen's point - what would be a fair price then if it is made in China?

L1037, please disregard my specific point. I think many would say that Palatino is not a fair comparison. My general point is that there may be another product at that price that would be but of course it depends on your local market.
Good luck. If you liked it playing them, enjoy one of the Young Changs!
Posted by: Rickster

Re: Young Chang Piano - 02/20/08 02:26 PM

A little over a year ago I played a new 48” Weber (by YC) that had a nice tone and touch; I actually like it and came close to buying it. I think I was given a price of about $3500 or so. Of course, I didn’t buy it because my mind was not completely made up as to exactly what I wanted at the time. I wound up buying a pre-owned grand instead of the Weber. Although I was initially impressed with the Weber, I’ve enjoyed the grand immensely.

Good luck with your decision.

Best regards,

Rickster
Posted by: turandot

Re: Young Chang Piano - 02/20/08 04:09 PM

I wonder what M&B would think of a Young Chang, especially a Chinese one. Hmm! Anyone seen M&B? I'm surprised he didn't hop on this thread the way he did when he pounced on Hailun. Maybe he sells Young Chang.
Posted by: PSS

Re: Young Chang Piano - 02/20/08 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by L1037:
Hello,

A salesman at a piano store offered me a new Young Chang Studio upright (either 48" or 52") in polished or shiney ebony black with bench, delivery, and tax included for $3,200. Is this a good deal?

Thanks for reading! [/b]
That's a great price even if it was made in China. Young Chang is a proven manufacturer of quality made pianos from an entry level all the way up to a professional level. I have always enjoyed playing their different models.

Good Luck!