Kimball spinet value

Posted by: frida11

Kimball spinet value - 02/21/11 02:06 PM

I'm looking at the possibility of a 2nd piano in my house. I have a Petrof IV, and the 2nd piano would have to be small. Since the pianos are in the living room, in this case, I want a decent-looking piece of furniture. I know all the limitations of a Kimball spinet. This one is 40 years old, in tune with itself, and the case is beautiful. The owner is asking $800.00, which seems overpriced to me. I would have thought more like $400. Any thoughts?
Posted by: BDB

Re: Kimball spinet value - 02/21/11 02:13 PM

$400 is too much. If you want to go that way, you could probably find at least a Kimball Artist Console for $400 or less, and that would be a better piano.
Posted by: beethoven986

Re: Kimball spinet value - 02/21/11 05:02 PM

Essentially $0.
Posted by: BoseEric

Re: Kimball spinet value - 02/21/11 05:09 PM

$0 is too much. I spent 5 years as Kimball National Service Manager.
Posted by: Del

Re: Kimball spinet value - 02/21/11 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: frida11
I'm looking at the possibility of a 2nd piano in my house. I have a Petrof IV, and the 2nd piano would have to be small. Since the pianos are in the living room, in this case, I want a decent-looking piece of furniture. I know all the limitations of a Kimball spinet. This one is 40 years old, in tune with itself, and the case is beautiful. The owner is asking $800.00, which seems overpriced to me. I would have thought more like $400. Any thoughts?

The last Kimball spinet we took in on trade we gave away (including regulating the action, tuning and moving) to a family with a couple of kids that simply wasn’t going to get a piano any other way. It’s debatable, I suppose, but they may have paid too much! :>)

(Note: With the exception of the spinet, all modern vertical pianos will take up about the same amount of floor space. Many spinets actually take up a bit more space because they have to accommodate the drop action mechanism.)

ddf
Posted by: frida11

Re: Kimball spinet value - 02/22/11 11:46 AM

Well, I guess I found out what I need to know! And already suspected. I haven't even looked at the piano yet, but maybe won't bother, given the owner will probably continue to think the piano is worth more than I will pay.