Brass Cleaner for Name Decal on Fallboard???

Posted by: Music2myears

Brass Cleaner for Name Decal on Fallboard??? - 04/07/11 01:58 PM

Hello,

I noticed that the Yamaha gold/brass name decal on my piano's fallboard has some discoloration after using Brillanize to clean it. I ran this by my technician who explained that the acidity of body oils may be what's causing the discoloration and not the Brillanize. He recommended using a nonabrasive brass cleaner to fix the problem.

Has anyone come across this? If so, is there a particular brass cleaner/polish that you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer!

smile
Music2myears
Posted by: apple*

Re: Brass Cleaner for Name Decal on Fallboard??? - 04/07/11 02:53 PM

I would use q-tips - whatever cleaner you choose. (not that you asked and good luck).

Re: Brass Cleaner for Name Decal on Fallboard??? - 04/07/11 03:12 PM

Thanks, apple for the q-tip "tip"! wink

I just reviewed the archives on this subject matter and there were several suggestions for lemon juice, Brasso or Flitz. I have a Yamaha GB1K in a PE finish. Does anyone know if any of the above recommendations may adversely affect the PE finish?

My tech said to use Brasso but I read on the archives that this product may be too abrasive???

smile
Linh
Posted by: Rickster

Re: Brass Cleaner for Name Decal on Fallboard??? - 04/07/11 04:29 PM

The brass Yamaha lettering on my piano fall board was very tarnished when I bought the piano. I did a little research and got some good advice from some of the pros here, and I used 0000 steel wool and water as a lubricant to clean/polish the brass lettering, and other brass components, such as the pedals.

Then, I used some of the “Fender’s Piano polish" I bought here at the PW store. It turned out great… shinny and bright.

You have to be very careful though, and not use too much elbow grease.

Good luck.

Rick
Posted by: Rank Piano Amateur

Re: Brass Cleaner for Name Decal on Fallboard??? - 04/07/11 04:45 PM

You also need to be sure that the brass is polishable before you set to work, with the potential to create worse problems with the finish than the tarnishing. The brass lettering on a piano I had some time ago had been covered with the same clear lacquer as the piano, and thus the black dot it developed could not be removed without refinishing the whole fallboard. I decided the black dot did not look so bad after all.
Posted by: curry

Re: Brass Cleaner for Name Decal on Fallboard??? - 04/07/11 06:18 PM

Lemon juice works well for Yamaha. Use fresh juice if possible.
Posted by: pianobroker

Re: Brass Cleaner for Name Decal on Fallboard??? - 04/08/11 02:17 AM

Rickster...0000 steel wool is acceptable with YOUR piano because it is a satin hand rubbed finish whereas steel wool was used in the final rub anyway but not with high gloss. It is WAY TOO abrasive. The pro detailers carefully use brasso(a bit abrasive) or flitz. I'll have to try that lemon juice. When the brass tarnishes underneath a lacquer clear coat as in the brass hardware (pedals,hinges etc.) one has to actually use lacquer thinner first to strip the lacquer clear coat before polishing the brass.

Re: Brass Cleaner for Name Decal on Fallboard??? - 04/08/11 03:21 AM

Thank you everyone for your input thus far. I really do appreciate it!!

Does the name decal on the Yamaha GB1K PE have a coat/finish over it? I'm guessing not???

Maybe I'll just wait for my next tuning appt. and have my technician help me with this problem. This is my very first and probably last piano so I'm a little gun shy about messing up the finish. smile
Posted by: Konzert Patrick

Re: Brass Cleaner for Name Decal on Fallboard??? - 04/08/11 04:43 AM

I would advice you to just leave it....

The more you do the worse it gets!
Just play , make music and don't worry about minor details wink
Posted by: apple*

Re: Brass Cleaner for Name Decal on Fallboard??? - 04/08/11 05:58 AM

I wonder if there is a market for steel wool q-tips?
Posted by: Rickster

Re: Brass Cleaner for Name Decal on Fallboard??? - 04/08/11 12:07 PM

Yes, you are right, Pianobroker, my piano is a satin finish (meaning it is scratched up already laugh ). I suppose there are always risks involved with you get out the 0000 steel wool; but it turned out great in my situation.

Of course, I’d take your advice over mine anyway day!! smile

Rick