Help please . . . Samick baby grand piano

Posted by: aht

Help please . . . Samick baby grand piano - 09/19/11 02:09 PM

Hello,

I am looking at a Samick SG-150KBF French Provincial cherry high polish baby grand for sale by a private seller. Its serial number is IRJGO272. From the serial number, I believe this piano was built in 1998 and was built in Korea. Is this correct? I measured this piano and believe it is a 4'11". It was played mostly by a daughter who has moved out of the house, so it has not been played or tuned in the last 4 years. The owner is asking $3,800 for it. She says she purchased it from a piano store for $8,000 about 10 years ago. Is this a fair price for this piano?

Thank you for any help in advance!
Posted by: Rickster

Re: Help please . . . Samick baby grand piano - 09/19/11 02:48 PM

Yes; but $3K would be better. wink smile

I'd have it checked out by a qualified piano techincian first...

Good luck!

Rick
Posted by: aht

Re: Help please . . . Samick baby grand piano - 09/19/11 06:07 PM

Thank you Rick! I really appreciate your help!

Do you know if this piano was built in 1998? I have read there are quality differences between the SG and SIG models in the Samick line of pianos. Is that true? The local piano store is offering the SIG-54 KBF for $6700. Is the sound difference between a 4'11" and 5'4" significant?

Thank you!
Posted by: Kurtmen

Re: Help please . . . Samick baby grand piano - 09/19/11 07:16 PM

There is a significant difference between a 4'11" and 5'4" in terms of sound.
The SG were made in Korea and the SIG made in Indonesia.
The SIG has laminated soundboard ( what Samick called surface tension sounboard) the SG has a solid sounboard. IMO the two pianos are about the same. I'll give an edge to the 5'4" just because is a larger piano. For $6,700 you should buy a nice new upright of higher quality/build, brand reputation.
Posted by: Steve Cohen

Re: Help please . . . Samick baby grand piano - 09/19/11 07:50 PM

This piano was made in Samick's Indonesean factory.

(I was there in 2008!)