Piano World Home Page
Posted By: christineka Piano and a great room, by the kitchen - 10/28/11 04:41 PM
We're looking to buy a different house. I am concerned about my piano. Well, maybe more so my future piano as the current one should be replaced. Anyway, I've heard that it is not good for a piano to be in the kitchen. These days great rooms are very popular. You have a big, open space between the living room and the kitchen and they are sorta connected. Can I put a piano there and not worry about my piano? (Meaning, my future nice piano.)
Posted By: Rickster Re: Piano and a great room, by the kitchen - 10/28/11 05:11 PM
I’m thinking that the piano would be located far enough away from the cook range or oven or anything that might be a problem for the piano. The biggest concern would be the ventilation system in the kitchen area. If you have a good vent-a-hood to remove most of the moisture/steam and greasy vapors that you have in a kitchen environment you should be okay.

My music room is next to my kitchen, and I can shut the door when I am cooking.

Good luck with your new home and your prospective new piano!

Rick
How far away minimum would I want to keep the piano from the stove?
Posted By: Rickster Re: Piano and a great room, by the kitchen - 10/28/11 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Christineka
How far away minimum would I want to keep the piano from the stove?

I would think as far away as possible. I'm not sure if there is a fixed "minimum" distance... But I'm thinking at least 8 to 10 feet minimum. And, I'd keep a cover on it (piano) while cooking.

I too like a big, open kitchen/dining room/living room area... I have one in my home.

Another thing... you might want to keep the piano cleaned and dusted more often; and, if it's a grand, keep the lid closed when cooking.

Rick
Most important, go to a low fat diet -- absolutely no fried foods. In fact, you should cook as little as possible. For the good of the piano, eat at restaurants, order pizza, etc..... ;-)

I'd say at least twelve feet from the stove, more if possible. You want to keep the humidity and temperature changes to a minimum. Get a Dampp Chaser with the piano, and watch its activity. If something you do in the kitchen triggers it, then you may want to look at remodeling to create a separate kitchen.
Sounds like more trouble than anyone in my family will go for. Our piano is already played for 4+ hours a day and we don't close it. I will just have to look for houses that have a room on the main level (not taking a piano to the basement) where we can put a piano. I'm also considering looking for enough room for a grand piano in case we someday have the money for one.
Posted By: gnuboi Re: Piano and a great room, by the kitchen - 10/29/11 04:50 AM
You don't need a separate closed-off room. Wide open not super great especially from a noise perspective. If the dining area is partially walled off in its own area, use that. Likewise with the living room area. You're not going to keep the TV around are you grin?
Posted By: Dave B Re: Piano and a great room, by the kitchen - 10/29/11 05:52 AM
I spent many many hours in the kitchen back when I was an aspiring Classical Guitarist. Position yourself with your back to the fridge.
Originally Posted by gnuboi
You don't need a separate closed-off room. Wide open not super great especially from a noise perspective. If the dining area is partially walled off in its own area, use that. Likewise with the living room area. You're not going to keep the TV around are you grin?

The modern floor plans these days have no wall at all between kitchen and living room. I'm not well off enough to get a house with a giganto great room. We're looking at houses with smaller sized great rooms. (I need the floor space for bedrooms.) Our tv goes in the basement and is rarely turned on.
Posted By: Mark R. Re: Piano and a great room, by the kitchen - 10/31/11 12:30 PM
I have my pianos in a dining/living room that is directly connected to the kitchen, i.e. everything is open plan. I have a hygrometer on the one piano, and I can't say that I've had any problems. To the contrary: if it's a very dry winter day, I haul out the pasta pot and make some steam. In summer, when it's humid, all the windows are open anyway when cooking, so the kitchen doesn't make any difference to the "summer climate" in the living room, but in winter, it actually helps.

The greasy vapours (not that we cook much greasy food) don't travel very far. They hardly reach the dining area (adjoining the kitchen) - just on the one cabinet that is closest to the kitchen. And they definitely don't make it to the living area (about 12 feet away from the kitchen). There is no sign of greasy dust on the TV, the pianos, bookshelves etc.

I would say: by all means go for an open floor plan, but get a hygrometer as well. And if you do plan to fry tons of burgers and potato fries, get an extractor hood.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums