How much is it worth? 1920s ronisch upright

Posted by: skyeskye

How much is it worth? 1920s ronisch upright - 01/22/12 01:03 AM

Hi everyone! I should say first of all that I know very little about pianos but due to a few unusual life circumstances I have found myself owning a 1920s 3 crown ronisch upright piano.

I don't play piano and unfortunately I am relocating into an apartment so I need to sell this piano as quickly as possible, problem being that I have no idea where to advertise it and at what price. I did have a tuner come over and tune it and he said it needed approximately $400 worth of restorations (for key whitening, fixing a few chips etc) to be in mint condition. He did say, though, that it was a marvellous piano. I was silly enough not to ask him for an evaluation because at the time I thought I would keep it... and now I have lost his number!

So basically I was just wondering what sort of ballpark figure I could put on a piano like this and where I can advertise it? I am in Brisbane, Queensland, so if anyone from here is interested please send us through a message!

I will attach a picture too... any help would be greatly appreciated!

[img:center]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/641/pianoi.jpg/[/img]
Posted by: Rotom

Re: How much is it worth? 1920s ronisch upright - 01/22/12 01:17 AM

Since you're in Australia (I am too, though south of you), $300 seems pretty good, on ebay, if all the notes work, it holds a tune and sounds good. On your listing, also add it's been evaluated by your technician and he says it's a "marvellous piano". However, i don't think many buyers will like cosmetic blemishes though, even if it's a nice piano. Good luck.
Posted by: skyeskye

Re: How much is it worth? 1920s ronisch upright - 01/22/12 01:49 AM

Thanks for your reply Rotom! If I get it restored do you think I could get a better price for it? I am trying to get my head around this piano business and why there are what seem to be very similar or practically identical pianos priced at 5k and above? can you explain the distinction between these and the one I own?
Posted by: Rotom

Re: How much is it worth? 1920s ronisch upright - 01/22/12 01:59 AM

Do those ones selling at 5k sell at all? If you choose to "refurbish"it (meaning a general clean up, tuning, regulation and voicing, touch up the finish and no replacement of parts) you could be able to get up to 1k with maybe a little difficulty of selling it. Don't do a total restoration (replacement of parts, complete overhaul of all parts, refinishing case, make it as-new) as it will be a total waste of money, the reatoration will cost far more than what you will get for the piano if you sell it, reason being the buyer's market for properly restored antique upright pianos in australia is very very small.
Posted by: beethoven986

Re: How much is it worth? 1920s ronisch upright - 01/22/12 02:17 AM

It's a beautiful looking piano, which helps. You may be able to get a few hundred for it, but realistically, such an old upright would cost over 10k to put back into proper working order. Its monetary value, thus, is pretty much the cost of moving it.