Piano arrived

Posted by: Pangur Bán

Piano arrived - 03/16/12 05:09 AM

My piano arrived just over an hour ago. I've waited 27 years for this day!

Posted by: Ovidiu M

Re: Piano arrived - 03/16/12 05:50 AM

Hey! Congratulations! Nice piano! What model and size please; cant see from mobile phone!
I too hope for this in the future. It will be years for sure; lets hope not 27...:))
Posted by: Plowboy

Re: Piano arrived - 03/16/12 09:44 AM

That's a long wait. Enjoy!

Re: Piano arrived - 03/16/12 09:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Ovidiu M
Hey! Congratulations! Nice piano! What model and size please; cant see from mobile phone!
I too hope for this in the future. It will be years for sure; lets hope not 27...:))

I hope so too for your sake! It's a Sejung 187cm with a Teutonic name on the fallboard - the house brand of the dealer here in Malaysia.

Originally Posted By: Plowboy
That's a long wait. Enjoy!

Indeed - been enjoying so much I forgot to cook dinner!
Posted by: turandot

Re: Piano arrived - 03/16/12 10:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Pangur Bán
It's a Sejung 187cm with a Teutonic name on the fallboard - the house brand of the dealer here in Malaysia.

Come on Pangor! How can you expect to spread the fame and fortune of C. Steinbert with no mention of that illustrious name? grin

You shopped comparatively and comprehensively. I think you're probably on safe ground saying it's an upgraded Sejung. Please hang around here and report how it goes in the first few months with break-in and service.

Congratulations to you!
Posted by: lilylady

Re: Piano arrived - 03/16/12 11:01 AM

What an exciting day!

Who needs to eat when there's a piano in the house?

;-)
Posted by: Keith D Kerman

Re: Piano arrived - 03/16/12 11:06 AM

Awesome! Congrats!
Posted by: Rickster

Re: Piano arrived - 03/16/12 11:12 AM

Wow, Congratulations!

I think that sometimes we get so hung up on brands that we forget about the magic of music. (I wrote a song once entitled "the magic of music" smile )

Enjoy!

Rick

Re: Piano arrived - 03/16/12 11:47 AM

Thanks everyone, for sharing in the joy.

I've been playing Bach fugues very quietly for the past hour, after a belated dinner, but it's 1130 pm now and for the sake of neighbourly goodwill, I'll give the piano a rest! I am indeed pleased to observe that the action was responsive enough to allow me play quietly, with a balanced tone throughout.

Turandot: You have a point there. Who am I, through my reticence, to stand in the way of what might possibly be a growing worldwide market out there for a sort of Simpsons Steinway? The latest I've heard about the Challens and the C.Steinberts is that the new shipment is going to come with Ciresa soundboards, which is an optional "upgrade" in the Sejung catalogue anyway.

I'm getting a free tuning in a month's time. Perhaps I'll post a recording once I've put in some practice to undo 27 years of lack thereof, and you good people in this forum can give me some advice about what I can think about getting the tech to tweak as far as the tone is concerned, and as far as my rudimentary recording equipment will allow one to give an opinion on the mp3 file.

I think I need to take time off this weekend to go shopping for a rug to place under the piano.
Posted by: Annitenth

Re: Piano arrived - 03/16/12 01:20 PM

Congratulations on the new piano. If you can drag yourself away from it long enough to rug-shop, post another photo of the completed decor.
Posted by: RJ10

Re: Piano arrived - 03/16/12 01:54 PM

Congrats! Looks like a lovely instrument
Posted by: mikeheel

Re: Piano arrived - 03/16/12 03:38 PM

I hope you continue to enjoy it for many years to come!
Posted by: Robert 45

Re: Piano arrived - 03/16/12 03:45 PM

It's a splendid looking piano and I am happy to share in your joy of getting this instrument after so many years.

Congratulations!
Robert.
Posted by: j&j

Re: Piano arrived - 03/16/12 04:12 PM

There's very few events that are as fun or exciting as "new piano delivery". Congratulations and we look forward to your first recording.
Posted by: prenex

Re: Piano arrived - 03/16/12 04:47 PM

Like a new baby. smile Congratulations!
Posted by: Rotom

Re: Piano arrived - 03/16/12 08:18 PM

Very nice. Congratulations! smile
Posted by: PianoFlyer

Re: Piano arrived - 03/16/12 08:23 PM

Congratulations!
Posted by: Scout_Finch

Re: Piano arrived - 03/16/12 08:50 PM

Congratulations!! Hope you are enjoying it!
Posted by: turandot

Re: Piano arrived - 03/16/12 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Pangur Bán

Turandot: You have a point there. Who am I, through my reticence, to stand in the way of what might possibly be a growing worldwide market out there for a sort of Simpsons Steinway? The latest I've heard about the Challens and the C.Steinberts is that the new shipment is going to come with Ciresa soundboards, which is an optional "upgrade" in the Sejung catalogue anyway.

Pangor,

I'm sure of one thing. You're no Simpson. You sorted through your available options and then pulled the trigger. The Ciresa thing could be just eye candy. The board's only as good as the belly it's fitted into. In a lot of cases swapping out the board is in the interest of an upgraded selling price.

Actually, what's holding Sejung back in the US is not its relegation to entry level in the charts. It's supply....hard to get. Sejung has probably turned its eyes more to the Asian market.

There was a glut of unsold Sejungs here a few years ago at liquidation prices. But now we've gone from feast to famine.
Posted by: Briguy65

Re: Piano arrived - 03/17/12 12:37 AM

Looks really nice, congrats! smile
Posted by: Pianolance

Re: Piano arrived - 03/17/12 02:21 AM

How wonderful to have such a beautiful piano. Hope you enjoy it for years to come.
Posted by: Piano World

Re: Piano arrived - 03/17/12 09:41 AM

Congratulations, always happy to see a new piano owner on the forums!
Looks great. I'm guessing the room is very lively.

Are those instruments hanging on the wall behind the piano?
And if so, does playing the piano cause them to sound from sympathetic vibrations?

And finally, yes we'd love to hear a recording when you're ready.

Re: Piano arrived - 03/18/12 02:43 AM

Thank you all for your good wishes.

Annitenth: I congratulate you on your new Bösie - a great instrument in a wonderful setting. I think I'll hold off on the purchase of a rug for the time being. I've decided to give myself time to get used to the sound first and ideally get someone to come and play while I walk around and listen carefully. Seated at the piano, it sounds fine.

Scout: Congratulations on your recent arrival. I didn't give myself a chance to try out some Kawais, but I've only heard good things about them.

Frank: Yes, a lively room - polished pieces of marble on the floor, brick and cement walls, no upholstered furniture of any sort, and just a thin curtain over a sliding door. I'm giving myself time to play around with the acoustics. I might get insulation and tongue & groove wooden panelling to cover the wall - across the room from the piano - which I share with the people next door.

An interesting thought there about sympathetic vibrations from my guqin. Those instruments have a puny tone to begin with, so I wouldn't be able to hear anything whilst I'm playing. I'll have to get someone to play and put my ear right up to the instruments. They consist of two boards glued to each other with a very small resonating chamber dug out from the top board, so any sympathetic vibration of the strings will barely register in the body of the instrument. And I don't bother tuning them to either A=440 or 442.