Six Legged Knabe Piano

Posted by: PaintedPostDave

Six Legged Knabe Piano - 05/12/12 03:44 PM

Last night at a jazz concert at a church in Ithaca there was a 5' Knabe grand that had two legs where every grand that I have ever seen has one. The sponsor of the event thought the Knabe was built in the 1950's. It looked older that that and it had the same reference to Baltimore on the plate that mine has. Looking around on the web I found a picture that looks like what I saw last night:

https://www.box.com/s/ef59344d09619652ed7d

Does anyone know when Knabe made six legged pianos?
Posted by: Steve Cohen

Re: Six Legged Knabe Piano - 05/12/12 03:48 PM

Most 6-legged pianos had player systems that have often been removed.

The leg provided extra weight distribution for the added weight of the player which was considerable.
Posted by: Supply

Re: Six Legged Knabe Piano - 05/12/12 05:38 PM

I don't believe weight distribution was not much of an issue. If three legs can safely support a concert grand, then they can safely support a 5' player.

What the double legs mostly did on player grands was to help hide the mechanical and pneumatic workings which were suspended below the keybed.

Re: Six Legged Knabe Piano - 05/12/12 08:03 PM

Thanks for the responses. The primary question is still unanswered: when were these player pianos made? Was it before Knabe appears to fade away in the late 1920's and 1930's?
Posted by: Ed Foote

Re: Six Legged Knabe Piano - 05/12/12 10:55 PM

Greetings,
I haven't seen a reproducer made after 1930 or so. I believe the golden age of the reproducers was 1910-1930. The six legs were not needed for support so much as visual esthetics. The longer cases required by the repro mechanisms look more proportional with the extra legs.
Regards,
Posted by: Pianolance

Re: Six Legged Knabe Piano - 05/12/12 11:32 PM

Many piano companies made 6 legged pianos including Steinway. I think it was just a furniture styling.

Re: Six Legged Knabe Piano - 05/13/12 12:07 AM

Thanks for the responses. I had a feeling that piano was older than 1950. thumb
Posted by: OperaTenor

Re: Six Legged Knabe Piano - 05/13/12 03:24 AM

The piano in the photo needs a set of casters...
Posted by: Rich Galassini

Re: Six Legged Knabe Piano - 05/13/12 10:24 AM

Originally Posted By: OperaTenor
The piano in the photo needs a set of casters...

...or we could saw an inch or two off the lyre. wink