Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190.

Posted by: pleyel player

Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/13/12 04:12 PM

Someone asked me to post pics of my Pleyel P190 so here they are. The resolution is not the best because I just snapped the pics quickly. As I understand, there is no importation of Pleyels here in the U.S.This is why many people here in the States are not familiar with this wonderful sounding piano. Please excuse me if i sound over the top with excitement but this is my dream piano!! To have one shipped here is very costly but luckily for me my dealer happened to have one.They are hand crafted in Paris France with a limited production of about 30 grands per year.Pleyel was the piano of choice for Chopin.

I am so excited about having this piano!!! I auditioned many high end pianos and this one won out for me. It has a velvety and brillant timbre.I also fell in love with the cabinet design.
Hope you all enjoy the pics.

Pics can be found at flickr photostream:

You will be able to click on the address below and go directly to the site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pleyelplayer/

Posted by: apple*

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/13/12 04:21 PM

it's loverly.. is that rosewood? it's gorgeous!

I clicked on the front on photo of the whole grand. is that inlayed wood or a reflection?
Posted by: ZoeCalgary

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/13/12 04:38 PM

Congratulations!! It looks amazing!

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/13/12 05:10 PM

HI APPLE. I am so glad you like it. It is mahogany.No it is not inlay but the veneers are designed a special way. From what i understand Pleyel pianos make limited editions.
The black strip going across the fall board is inlayed ebony. Wish you could see this piano in person as the pics.do not do it justice.All of the veneer is matched so precisely around the entire piano.However its touch and sound far surpasses its beauty.
Posted by: acortot

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/13/12 05:20 PM

wow.. looks fantastic
Posted by: thetandyman

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/13/12 05:53 PM

That's a good looking piano, and I bet it really sings in that room with the hardwood floor. Hard to wait till work ends so you can come home and play it, I bet!
Posted by: Rod Verhnjak

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/13/12 06:17 PM

Very nice.
I'm always happy to see people purchase something musical not just a name or others hype.
Also like to see that the movers positioned you caster properly!!!!

Enjoy!!!!!!
Posted by: pianovoce

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/13/12 06:21 PM

That is some fine design and veneer work. I look forward to some videos of it being played!
Posted by: Karl Watson

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/13/12 06:55 PM

Have to say it -

It’s absolutely GORGEOUS.

Did you buy this piano in the states ?

Is the scale and belly design similar to their older instruments, that is, the old firm or is this an entirely new instrument.

When I was a student in Paris c.1970, I worked very hard at a Pleyel that was about the size of an O or an L. I think it was pretty old as it was 85 notes and 2 pedals. I found it a very rewarding piano in almost every way. It was nothing like an American piano, with the possible exception of Knabe and not too like any German piano that I can think of, unless you count Bluthners from about the turn of the 19th century. It had a somewhat limited dynamic range, at least on the fortissimo end of things. One could play VERY softly and still have all kinds of colour and beauty to the tone. I remember the action being excellent. One thing stood out and that was the sheer QUALITY of its fit and finish. It was an old piano when I knew it and even with its numerous scratches and gouges, it was an impressive piece of furniture.

You've got a beauty there. Cherish it.

Karl Watson

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/13/12 07:09 PM

Thanks to you, I finally discovered how to put a link to my photos. Thank you so much, and best always with your beautiful piano.
Posted by: Dave B

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/13/12 08:15 PM

Piano looks new?
Posted by: Rickster

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/13/12 08:15 PM

Wow, what a beautiful grand piano! Nice home too!

Congratulations!

Rick
Posted by: Bob Newbie

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/13/12 08:27 PM

All I can say is wow! what a finish! smile
Posted by: AJF

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/13/12 08:43 PM

gorgeous instrument. Pleyels are very rare in my neck of the woods. Enjoy it!

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/13/12 08:44 PM

Thanks so much for all of your wonderful comments!

Karl,I am so excited you know how wonderful the Pleyels are. I would have loved to have been a student in Paris! I am sooo glad you had such a wonderful experience with an older Pleyel!Yes my piano can whisper but still produce toned that are out of this world.

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/13/12 09:11 PM

Karl,Yes i did buy the Pleyel here in the state s. It was truly a rare find. Pleyels are so rare in the states that i see they are not even rated in the Piano Buyer.The Pleyel company says it takes over 500 hrs to hand craft one grand. They produce about 30 grands a year.All of the veneers are ironed on by hand with what looks like a common household iron.I saw at one time a video that someone posted here about a tour they took to the Pleyel factory.
Posted by: Rich Galassini

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/13/12 09:51 PM

That is the interesting veneer work I referred to in your last thread. She is a beauty! Enjoy!

Who is your dealer? Where in The States did you find her?

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/13/12 09:54 PM

Do I see a locking lid knob? The woodwork is stupendous. What a beautiful piano. I hope it sounds as good as it looks, and brings you many years of happiness.
Posted by: RickG1

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/13/12 10:31 PM

Just a gorgeous piano! So rare here in the US.
Posted by: Rusty Fortysome

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/14/12 07:18 AM

I wish people here would post audio (or video with audio) of their new pianos.

This isn't just a critique on you, but on nearly everyone that posts about their new pianos. There is always this slew of pictures of the fabulous items, many being complete art... in wood... but we really buy for the sound. Or so I assume, since this is a forum for piano players of all levels. Even if afraid to show off how horrid your playing is, I'd love to just hear the sounds of such pianos through an ascending scale of C or G or anything. Maybe the opening of a staple like Für Elise on all these pianos for comparison.

That Pleyel is a magnificent and rare item, regardless.
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/14/12 08:15 AM

Pleyel player:

Can you change the settings for your pictures so they can be downloaded? I wanted to save a few for desktop pictures.
Posted by: malkin

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/14/12 08:30 AM

Beautiful!
Posted by: Piano World

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/14/12 09:05 AM

Congratulations Pleyel Player, beautiful piano!
Love the detail work, and the unusual music desk.

Enjoy!
Posted by: Pianolance

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/14/12 09:15 AM

Congrats on that beautiful piano. I love the shape of the music desk and the ball detail on the top of the legs. Really stunning mahogany and an all around looker. If it plays anywhere near as nice as it looks it must be amazing. I love the French approach to piano manufacturing. Paris is the capitol of high fashion and design and that comes through in the design of this lovely piano. Not gaudy, but still highly stylish. Beautiful.

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/14/12 04:15 PM

Rich, I purchased it at Atlantic Music in Florida. They were going to become distributors so they shipped him just one at first to put on the floor. I don't know what happened but i believe Pleyel had a fire and he was unable to get more so he decided not to go through with the venture. I believe this to be true but i could be wrong.He did tell me that now the only way to get one in the US would be to go to Paris,purchase one there and pay for the shipping back to the US.

Glad you like the veneers. All of the wood work is top notch. My piano tech. told me that "The soundboard and the tone and colors that come from this piano is extremely captivating." He said he thinks it is because of the type of spruce used to make the soundboard along with the unique design that produces the destinctive Pleyel sound. He called it Ciresa du Val de Flemme spruce from Italy. I did some research and found out this is the spruce A Stradivari personally chose to make his fascinating violins.

Sorry if i sound like a doting Father,(I know at times it can be unbecoming of one)but i am in love with my baby.
Posted by: wouter79

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/14/12 04:30 PM

Thanks Pleyel Player for posting pictures!

It has a nice different touch on many details - the balls in the legs, the shape of the music stand, the knob. Yes the photos do a bad job on the wood and overall quality but still it looks nice!
Posted by: VGrantano

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/14/12 05:00 PM

A few years back Pleyel was brought into the U.S.
I was the Piano Sales Mgr. of the importing company,
Geneva International. This is when they still had the factory in Ales, France. I had the pleasure of visiting
both the factory and the offices in Paris. I was also treated to a night at the Lido for dinner. But that's another story.The relationship ended. Shortly after
I retired. They tried to bring the piano in without a
importer, (I helped) but just never got off the ground.
Good luck with your Pleyel, I think it's a wonderful Piano.
One last thing, not only did Chopin have a Pleyel, His great love Georg Sand did too.
Posted by: Annitenth

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/14/12 05:30 PM

Beautiful! The music desk immediately caught my eye.

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/14/12 10:23 PM

Pianoloverus,

RE: question: is there a block on your pics, and will you remove it so they can be copied?

I do not beleive I have a block on the pictures. I am new to flickr but will give you what I do know about coping photos from flickr. This procedure that I give here has worked for me when I saved pics before. When you double click on the picture it will open up in a new window. Right click on the picture and it will give you the option to download in various sizes to open the picture up in another window, choose your size and open. In that window you right click once again on the pic and you will have the option to save it.

If this does not work please let me know and I will look for another option.

Thanks,

Pleyelplayer

Below is from the help menu; it may be of help.

"FAQs you might find helpful (4)

Is there a way to share my whole photostream including Friends and Family photos?
Yes! First we should mention that the best way to share your photostream is to invite them to create a Flickr account. When they have an account you can mark them as a Friend or Family and they can see any photos that you have marked as such. (This will also let them comment and favourite, which is even more fun.)

But if you know someone that doesn't want to create an account you can still share your Friends and Family photos with them using a Guest Pass for your photostream. Just go to your photostream and select the mail option in the Share menu near the top right of the screen. When you share the stream you will have the option to create a Guest Pass. This will let people see any photos in your photostream that you made available for friends or family. So until you expire the pass, people who use your Guest Pass can see all the photos in your whole account that are marked visible for friends or family, even if they aren't members."

Thanks, pleyelplayer

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/14/12 10:25 PM

Pianoloverus,

RE: question: is there a block on your pics, and will you remove it so they can be copied?

I do not beleive I have a block on the pictures. I am new to flickr but will give you what I do know about coping photos from flickr. This procedure that I give here has worked for me when I saved pics before. When you double click on the picture it will open up in a new window. Right click on the picture and it will give you the option to download in various sizes to open the picture up in another window, choose your size and open. In that window you right click once again on the pic and you will have the option to save it.

Thanks,

Pleyelplayer

Is there a way to share my whole photostream including Friends and Family photos?
Yes! First we should mention that the best way to share your photostream is to invite them to create a Flickr account. When they have an account you can mark them as a Friend or Family and they can see any photos that you have marked as such. (This will also let them comment and favourite, which is even more fun.)

But if you know someone that doesn't want to create an account you can still share your Friends and Family photos with them using a Guest Pass for your photostream. Just go to your photostream and select the mail option in the Share menu near the top right of the screen. When you share the stream you will have the option to create a Guest Pass. This will let people see any photos in your photostream that you made available for friends or family. So until you expire the pass, people who use your Guest Pass can see all the photos in your whole account that are marked visible for friends or family, even if they aren't members."

Thanks, pleyelplayer

Re: unblocking pics from flick, and coping them. - 06/14/12 10:27 PM

Pianoloverus,

Thanks,

Pleyelplayer

Thanks, pleyelplayer

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/15/12 03:02 PM

Thanks to the rest of you for your wonderful comments about my Pleyel! I am so blessed to have this piano.
Posted by: Bob Newbie

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/15/12 03:22 PM

Click on the size pic you want first, then right click your mouse, "save pic as"
worked for me? smile
Posted by: Konzert Patrick

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/15/12 03:59 PM

Congratulations on your beautiful piano!

As you love the European heritage, here are some things you didn't know....

Schimmel bought the Pleyel name in 1971. They only produced a limited number of pianos with the Pleyel name every year. In 1994 the Pianomanufacturer Rameau bought the names Pleyel and Gaveau, two years later Pleyel became independent again.

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/16/12 07:44 AM

Konzert Patrick,
Thanks for the info. I guess one is able to learn something new every day. Thanks for adding a bit of history to my thread.
Posted by: julieta

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/16/12 08:07 AM

Photos do not capture the magnificence and beauty of this singular and exquisite instrument. It is a work of art,both in its craftmanship and resonance and the "artist" who plays it (as only he can!)does justice to its unique and commanding history and stature.
Posted by: Sparky McBiff

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/16/12 10:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Rod Verhnjak
Very nice.
I'm always happy to see people purchase something musical not just a name or others hype.

Enjoy!!!!!!

Seconded.
It gets tiring after a while to hear people talk only about Yamaha or Kawai as if those are the only two makes out there.

She's a beauty and I hope some day I get the chance to play one.
Posted by: Laurie R.

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/16/12 10:30 AM

When I was shopping for my piano, I had a chance to play a new upright Pleyel in Toronto. It was a very beautiful piano - maybe the best upright I'd ever played. It was expensive, but worth it!

I felt that same way - not a lot of choice in the city I live in.
Posted by: Rudy99golf

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/17/12 11:27 PM

Wow, gorgeous instrument.

I wish you years of happy playing and enjoyment of this beauty.

Re: Second try to post pics of my new Pleyel P190. - 06/18/12 08:49 AM

Thanks Julieta for the compliments. As many here can tell,Julieta is a friend of mine and my biggest fan. On second thought,my only fan. Ha! Ha!