Franz Wirth?

Posted by: VMoney

Franz Wirth? - 07/12/05 09:30 PM

Has anyone heard of this piano maker?

I searched the forum but the only result that came up was something about Tchaikovsky's first piano which was apparently a Wirth.
A google search returns a bunch of results in German and Russian... neither of which I can read

Any help is appreciated,

-V-
Posted by: Wim

Re: Franz Wirth? - 07/13/05 05:04 PM

Franz Wirth was a piano builder in Europe (end of the 19th century) who was a pupil of Bösendorfer. He made a lot of grand piano's in Germany and France (some are actually for sale on E-bay in Germany and France).
There is a foundation that bears his name :
Franz-Wirth-Gedächtnis-Stiftung zur Förderung des musikalischen Nachwuchses
Spitalerstr. 28, 20095 Hamburg
Tel.: (040) 338226 od. 6052236 Fax: (040) 339277

I guess you can find more information over there.

Good luck.

Wim
Posted by: AlexJBS

Re: Franz Wirth? - 07/13/05 06:47 PM

Franz Wirth was a pianomaker in Vienna, Austria ! He worked from 1880 to 1928 on different locations in Vienna. He was a pupil of Ludwig Bösendorfer.
Alex
Posted by: Calin

Re: Franz Wirth? - 07/14/05 09:05 AM

I have seen a few Wirth pianos, they were quite standard Viennese instruments, nothing really special.
Posted by: VMoney

Re: Franz Wirth? - 07/15/05 02:23 PM

Calin -

By nothing special, do you mean compared to other Austrian/German instruments of it's time?

I'm asking because someone is selling a 1927 5'8" Franz Wirth in my price range (sub $8k) and I was wondering if it was "wirth" checking out (sorry for the pun)... How would it compare to a more recent grand of that size?

I've been considering the usual Dongbei brands bandied about here as well as keeping my eye out for used Yamahas, Kawais, etc.

Thanks!
Posted by: Jens Schlosser

Re: Franz Wirth? - 07/15/05 06:28 PM

A piano of that age can be still usable as a musical instrument or it can be falling apart. Condition is everything. Concerning resale value it probably wouldn't make much sense to rebuild this piano. So check it out with a tech to evaluate it's condition. If it still plays (and holds a tune, of course), decide if you like it and buy it or not. If it has a vienesse action, resale value would be close to 0$ (but probably even the vienesse makers adopted the modern action somewhen in the early 20th century). A more recent grand of this size would sound different and play different.

When you say your budget is "sub $8k", this could buy you a wonderful used piano. When I think of the comparetively few older vienesse grands I've seen, I wouldn't remember one piano I'd have loved to sink sub $8k in, rather sub $0k.

Best regards,
Jens
Posted by: Calin

Re: Franz Wirth? - 07/16/05 05:58 AM

Yes, I mean compared to other Austrian instruments. The best Viennese pianos were Boesendorfer, Schweighofer, Streicher, Ehrbar etc., as far as I know.
For 8k you can buy much more than an old Wirth. By all means, have a look at it, perhaps it is in good condition.
But it might have a Viennese action - if so, it has a different touch from a modern action and I'm not sure you want that.