kawai 508 console vs K2 studio

Posted by: mom222

kawai 508 console vs K2 studio - 04/20/07 05:39 PM

Hi,

I'm buying our first piano for my 6 year old son. I don't play piano, so know nothing about it. Thanks to this forum, I've learnt a lot about different brands and models. With my budget, I'm now down to two: Kawai 508 and K2. The salesperson keep saying the K2 sounds a lot better than 508. Price difference is only $400. I like the 508 better because of its style and color. K2 is only available in Black and that's really doesn't match our home furnitures at all. However, if K2 is a much better piano, I'll consider that cause I don't want to look stupid buying a piano that looks good but sounds bad.

Another alternative is a Yamaha console M450, but the Kawai salesman said it is actually a Pearl River and a Kawai 508 is a lot better.

Any comments with help.

Thanks.
Posted by: Ryan -the musicman

Re: kawai 508 console vs K2 studio - 04/20/07 06:04 PM

The main difference in the 2 pianos would be the action as the k-2 has a vastly better action. It is the M III What he said about the yamaha is just sales BS. Buy the piano that you like. All the pianos are a good quality. The k-2 just happens to be a step above and but it also costs more.
Posted by: KnKnR

Re: kawai 508 console vs K2 studio - 04/20/07 06:25 PM

Hi!

I just bought Kawai K2 about two weeks ago. I actually visited both Yamaha and Kawai's dealers.

I tried Yamaha's entry level piano made in China (cable~nelson). It sounded very nice, but U1 (for more advanced player) sounded a lot more beautiful. At that point, I couldn't decide if I should get this entry level. U1 was out of my budget.

Then, I went to Kawai's dealer on the same day. I tried console (K-15) and K2. Console sounded really nice. Well, K-2 had more beautiful sound. Although I'm a beginner, I could tell the difference. I chose K2.

Please don't rush to buy one. You might want to have someone play those pianos at the dealer. Or you may find a better used piano within your budget. Or those experienced members here could tell you more!
Posted by: Dave S

Re: kawai 508 console vs K2 studio - 04/20/07 06:38 PM

Actually, the K2 is available in mahogany polish as well. Nice piano. Lot's of bang for the buck.