Yamaha U3 upright - Made in China?

Posted by: MCha

Yamaha U3 upright - Made in China? - 08/29/12 02:06 PM

Hello,

I'm helping a friend buy a piano for her daughter who is just starting lessons. I was searching on Craigslist and came across a posting for a U3 that is about 13 years old. In searching for the age, the serial # starts with an "H" and then "26490xx". On the Yamaha website, it seems that this piano was made in China, but I was not aware that U3's were made there at all. Also, the serial number should not exist if it was indeed made in Hangzhou as a 2010 model starts with H0105429 and this is 13 years old.

Is this a mistake from the part of the poster?

Thanks in advance!
MC
Posted by: Steve Cohen

Re: Yamaha U3 upright - Made in China? - 08/29/12 02:50 PM

I believe it IS a mistake. To my knowledge Yamaha did not produce pianos, under the Yamaha label, in China 13 years ago.
Posted by: PianoWorksATL

Re: Yamaha U3 upright - Made in China? - 08/29/12 05:17 PM

I think the model being referred to is a U3H. The serial is simply 26490xx. That makes it date from 1978. The U3H was made at that time.

13 years, 34 years, what's the difference? Craigslist strikes again.

That doesn't make the piano necessarily good or bad, but it does mean you should be wary of the seller. Flag'em and keep moving.
Posted by: MCha

Re: Yamaha U3 upright - Made in China? - 08/29/12 05:59 PM

Thank you both! I will move on.

But my curiosity is piqued - we were at a piano dealer and they told us that new U1's are now made in China. Is that true?
Posted by: gnuboi

Re: Yamaha U3 upright - Made in China? - 08/30/12 12:46 AM

Go find a new U1 and open the top. The plate inside should say Made in Japan.