Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3!

Posted by: Sam Rose

Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/07/12 04:25 PM

Well, I came across a deal I couldn't refuse, so my Yamaha G2 has been replaced by a C3. Here's the story (followed by the mandatory pics of course).

It was made in 1992, and purchased by a family as a showpiece for the living room. A daughter used it briefly and then quit, and it has sat there ever since. It hasn't been tuned since the initial tuning (probably almost 20 years ago), so it sounds terrible right now, but I bought it anyway. The hammers look nearly brand new. I'm gonna polish up the keys, get her tuned, and there you have it. An almost new, low mileage, Yamaha C3 for $9000! I prefer the satin finish on my old one to this glossy one (gloss means you get to see my couch, legs, socks, etc. in the pictures), but it's still gorgeous.

Posted by: piano joy

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/07/12 04:29 PM

Congrats- it's beautiful and, personally, I think high gloss is more elegant and (this I know for a fact as I am an expert cleaning person, genetically ) easier to clean!

smile

Enjoy!
(I do wish someone would post a pic of some dumpy old piano they have so I could feel better....oh well, it's all good)
Posted by: ZoeCalgary

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/07/12 04:33 PM

Sam it looks awesome!!! You are going to love it I'm sure. Many happy musical days to you!
Posted by: Gatsbee13

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/07/12 04:53 PM

Sam.. You got the acquisition bug too now. Great deal!
Posted by: Rickster

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/07/12 05:27 PM

Wow, congratulations, Sam!

I guess PAS (piano acquisition syndrome) is contagious on PW. smile

And, you got a fantastic deal! Most C3’s I see on CL and else ware around that age are at least $15K.

Enjoy!!

Rick
Posted by: Peyton

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/07/12 06:00 PM

Nice Sam!! She's a beauty!
Posted by: Rostosky

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/07/12 06:52 PM

Sam, it doesnt matter about your couch, it matters less about your legs, and your socks, well only you really know if they matter ( my guess is that they are unimportant in the bigger picture)

what does matter is that you have just aquired a wonderfull piano, well done sir, welcome to the non steinway owners club.
Posted by: j&j

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/07/12 07:06 PM

Sam,

Congratulations! Your piano looks fabulous and will sound that way once it's been tuned. I wish you many happy years playing it.

As you can tell from my signature, I love C3's
Posted by: Plowboy

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/07/12 07:09 PM

Sweet.
Posted by: Melodialworks Music

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/07/12 07:51 PM

Looks great! Well done!
Posted by: thetandyman

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/07/12 08:06 PM

Sam, now that you have that magnificent piano, I hope it keeps you out of taverns! LOL!!!! I know mine makes me want to get home quickly after work, and after 7 months I still feel the thrill to come home and sit right down!
Posted by: custard apple

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/07/12 08:46 PM

Beautiful Sam ! These Yamaha C3s from this period are great. It seems like a very good deal.
Posted by: backto_study_piano

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/07/12 09:14 PM

Oh dear - I hope PAS (Piano Acquisition Syndrome) doesn't make it down-under. I've already bought 2 pianos in 2½ years.

But it looks like a great piano you've got. It may need a few tunings, though, after this time.
Posted by: Norbert

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/08/12 12:55 AM

Congrats!

Enjoy your new piano!

Norbert smile
Posted by: lilylady

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/08/12 02:20 AM

Who sees a couch and legs, when we can see a purty piano?

;-)
Posted by: allthumbs

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/08/12 02:56 AM

Congratulations on your new piano. PAS is very contagious!
Posted by: Teodor

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/08/12 09:05 AM

Originally Posted By: piano joy
Congrats- it's beautiful and, personally, I think high gloss is more elegant and (this I know for a fact as I am an expert cleaning person, genetically ) easier to clean!

smile

Enjoy!
(I do wish someone would post a pic of some dumpy old piano they have so I could feel better....oh well, it's all good)

There you go, it looks a bit worse than in the pic laugh

Posted by: jawhitti

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/08/12 09:25 AM

What a great find. Older C3s seems to be all over the map, voice-wise. The brand-new ones can be wonderfully mellow. How would you say this one sounds? Post a recording after you get it tuned.

Congratulations!
Posted by: Robert 45

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/08/12 01:44 PM

It looks a fine, sturdy piano and after those years without servicing, it will be exciting to develop its potential and turn it into a beautiful musical instrument.

Congratulations!

Robert.
Posted by: supersport

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/08/12 07:18 PM

It might be interesting to hear a recording both pre and post servicing?

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/10/12 05:29 AM

Thanks for all the kind comments!
I'd be happy to post a recording pre and post tuning, although it will hurt your ears really badly to hear it pre tuning. I've been inspecting it more thoroughly, and it's pretty amazing how low the mileage is. The hammers have no grooves at all, except in the middle section which has a tiny amount (visible only if you look from the right angle). I think the action is going to need regulation, because the hammers don't go close enough to the strings, so I can't play pp. It shouldn't be a problem to have my tech do it though.

A couple other interesting notes about the piano...
The una corda wasn't working when I went to check out the piano, so I removed the right block next to the action (I forget what it's called) and found an 1877 silver trade dollar (I gave it back. Apparently an uncle has a coin collection and a kid stuck one in the piano). After that, the una corda worked fine.
I also heard some rustling when opening and closing the fallboard, so I removed the fallboard to find: a broken Popsicle stick; an old piece of sheet music; and an invitation to a student's recital at Julliard from the 1991-1992 season (the year the piano was made/purchased). It's really amazing to me that someone would spend that much money on a musical instrument only to have it sit in a corner of a living room, totally neglected and uncared for frown (although, to their credit, they definitely cared for the finish, which is perfect).
Posted by: lilylady

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/10/12 07:00 AM

It's really amazing to me that someone would spend that much money on a musical instrument only to have it sit in a corner of a living room, totally neglected and uncared for (although, to their credit, they definitely cared for the finish, which is perfect).

"They" say that Steinways are purchased for this at times as well. More $$$ sitting in the corner. Did Madoff play?
Posted by: Entheo

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/10/12 07:45 AM

and not even broken in yet!
Posted by: joe80

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/10/12 08:52 AM

Sam, I watched your youtube video. I can't believe you've been playing for only 2 years. You sound amazing.

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/10/12 09:06 AM

Originally Posted By: joe80
Sam, I watched your youtube video. I can't believe you've been playing for only 2 years. You sound amazing.

That's very nice of you smile

Just out of curiosity, which video did you watch? I haven't recorded much in a long time, because I don't think my playing sounds very good right now (my ear has gotten much better, so I hear all the problems with my playing).
Posted by: joe80

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/10/12 04:02 PM

As your ear gets better, your playing sounds worse to yourself. Don't worry, its normal.

I heard Chopin Fantasie-Impromptu, and the end of the first Ballade. These are both very difficult, and you play with flair, you know, and great musicality. Your technique is good too, well above what I would expect from someone who has been playing for so little time. In fact, so far above I'd believe it if you told me you'd been playing since you were 11. You could probably do a convincing audition for a conservatoire or university playing as you are.

Do you play the staple repertoire of Bach, Beethoven, Czerny, Haydn, Mozart and Schubert?

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/10/12 04:18 PM

As your ear gets better, your playing sounds worse to yourself. Don't worry, its normal.

I heard Chopin Fantasie-Impromptu, and the end of the first Ballade. These are both very difficult, and you play with flair, you know, and great musicality. Your technique is good too, well above what I would expect from someone who has been playing for so little time. In fact, so far above I'd believe it if you told me you'd been playing since you were 11. You could probably do a convincing audition for a conservatoire or university playing as you are.

Do you play the staple repertoire of Bach, Beethoven, Czerny, Haydn, Mozart and Schubert?

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad it's normal for my playing to sound worse, because it's somewhat discouraging at times.

Those recordings are old though, and I don't think they're very good. The Fantaisie Impromptu was taken at just over one year from when I started playing, and it looks like my hands are trying to jump off a cliff or something shocked (and sounds that way too).
The end of the ballade is from about 16 months, and it also needed a lot of work (much of that work has been done). I only had an upright when I recorded the end of the ballade; now I'm on my second grand! I really got bit by this bug very hard laugh

I don't play enough repertoire, because my reading is awful. I'm working on that now, instead of new repertoire. The only real pieces I "finished" are the Impromptu and Nocturne in C sharp minor (in fact, the Nocturne is the only recording on my channel that I think is pretty good, although it still has some very rough edges). I say "finished," because I learned them on my own, and I need to comb over everything with my new teacher. The Ballade has a couple missing measures (but I've memorized 98% of it), and it's on the back burner until I get some more important things done.

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/10/12 06:08 PM

Huh? That most certainly is not normal. Opposite to reality, in fact. Where did you get that idea? In fact many musicians do not listen when they are playing, but those that do, get better.

So, as your listening gets better, your playing sounds better (to yourself and others) because it is in fact getting better - because you are listening to yourself!

Lawrence
Posted by: Minnesota Marty

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/10/12 07:58 PM

The way I'm understanding "the ear gets better" to mean that one is listening more critically to one's own playing. Then the subtleties of phrasing, articulation, pedaling, etc., etc., become more apparent to the player and lead to the "feeling worse about your playing syndrome." In fact, you are getting better. That is what practicing and mastery are all about. The cycle is endless, as it should be.
Posted by: Rickster

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/10/12 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
The way I'm understanding "the ear gets better" to mean that one is listening more critically to one's own playing. Then the subtleties of phrasing, articulation, pedaling, etc., etc., become more apparent to the player and lead to the "feeling worse about your playing syndrome." In fact, you are getting better. That is what practicing and mastery are all about. The cycle is endless, as it should be.

Some times I think my piano playing is getting better, much better... then I hear someone play who really know how, and I have second thoughts... smile

Either way, it's still a lot of fun!

Rick
Posted by: Gatsbee13

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/10/12 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Rickster

Some times I think my piano playing is getting better, much better... then I hear someone play who really know how, and I have second thoughts... smile

Either way, it's still a lot of fun!

Rick

Dont you hate that..

Sam, doesnt look like you'll ever be satisfied.. im trying to get off searching craigslist so often but its hard.. almost bought a kawai GS-30 in Orange county for $4500 with disklavier... the guy called me as i was first person to email him but i didnt pick up.. called him back an hour later and it was sold.. oh well, there will always be great deals out there..

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/10/12 09:39 PM

The cycle is endless, as it should be.

+1!
Posted by: Chopinlover49

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/10/12 10:33 PM

Your piano looks wonderful--like new. I really like the polished ebony myself which is what I bought a few weeks ago.
Posted by: Rotom

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/11/12 09:43 AM

Awesome! Congratulations, and really, a great find!
Posted by: bessel

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/11/12 10:16 AM

Congratulations, Sam! It looks gorgeous.

In my neck of the woods there's one of these, a 1990, "lightly used and well cared for" advertised on craigslist for $17K. I'd say you got a deal, can't wait to hear how it sounds once you get it tuned/etc!

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/13/12 12:29 AM

Well, you asked for it, so here it is!

Before Tuning (MAJOR apologies to your ears right about now...)

After Tuning

Action still needs a nice bit of regulation, but the piano sounds fantastic!
Apologies for the shoddy playing. I need to practice this bit slowly, but this is good enough for a demonstration.
Posted by: Entheo

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/13/12 07:18 AM

yeah tuning helps smile

'after' sounds very nice.
Posted by: EdwardianPiano

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/13/12 09:34 AM

Sam - she is a lovely piano and it great condition!
You have really inspired me to see what I could have achieved in two years if I had had a teacher throughout and been more dedicated...this has to change. I feel a bit emotional now...
I love my piano and want to play him better. My money fortunes should be cha\nging for the better shortly as I am on the way to being self employed.I already have numb erts of piano teachers to call. Piano is tuned and ready! smile
Very good wishes to you. x

P.S Errr.. let's get this straight- you went from beginner to playing Fantasy Impromptu in just two years???!!! Blimey you must be ultra talented! I have an ultra simple version in a new piano book (BEGINNERS) and am too scared to try it LOL.

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/13/12 09:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Teodor
Originally Posted By: piano joy

smile

Enjoy!

There you go, it looks a bit worse than in the pic laugh

Aww you have an overdamped one like mine. Perhaps my sign in name gives you a clue as to my sentiments regarding older/antique pianos- I love them with a passion and find them charming and full of character. I will have to post my dear old Piano's photo sometime.

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 09/13/12 10:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Sam Rose
Well, you asked for it, so here it is!

Before Tuning (MAJOR apologies to your ears right about now...)

After Tuning

Action still needs a nice bit of regulation, but the piano sounds fantastic!
Apologies for the shoddy playing. I need to practice this bit slowly, but this is good enough for a demonstration.

Sam- your playing is very very good- in places you are up to the right speed and have the feeling captured. I know I cannot play this but it is one of my fave pieces of music and listen to it loads.I also listen to Yundi Li playing it who in my opinion plays it the best! And in parts you have got it like him! Keep at it Sam- you will have it perfect all the way through soon- in parts you are already there. I love your playing.
Posted by: candlelightpiano

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 10/18/12 08:21 PM

Congratulations on this fantastic grand, Sam! That's the same one Birba's got. Don't know how old his is, though. PAS? Sounds like an addiction! LOL Sure you shouldn't be joining PAS Anonymous, my friend? But $9K for this pretty grand is a steal, I dare say. I suppose it's now all tuned up. Sounded pretty good when you played Shawshank on it. You'll have years of fun on it ...that's if you don't sell it and get an even grander grand soon!

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 10/18/12 08:39 PM

Thanks Choo! Shawshank was actually recorded on the old grand laugh
This one sounds even nicer! I have to get some things polished up so I can record it. Hopefully it will be in time for the next recital.
Posted by: j&j

Re: Help! I've got piano acquisition syndrome! New Yamaha C3! - 10/19/12 01:03 PM

And if you're taking classes or lessons, your teacher/instructor/professor, points out ways to improve your technique, phrasing, timing, and dynamics. My playing does improve but I am far more aware of all my mistakes so the journey continues. The thing that bothers me the most is the "plateau". I'll be stuck for some time and then suddenly, I'll "get it" and really improve. The frustration of being stuck is well worth the pay-off in improvement, but it takes some of the fun out of practicing. Thank heavens I have a beautiful piano to keep me motivated....which is how I justified my PAS. My friends and family just roll their eyes. grin