Ordered a Shigeru Kawai today

Posted by: Amy B

Ordered a Shigeru Kawai today - 10/06/12 11:39 PM

After searching for the last several months, I took the plunge today and went for a Shigeru Kawai SK6. It took me some time to decide between the six and seven foot, but in the end, the seven foot SK6 just kept calling me back. I hope to have it in a couple of weeks.

For those interested in the search, the brief summary is:

I played Steinways (New York and Hamburg), Seiler, Schimmel, Bechstein, Bosendorfer, Ritmueller, Yamaha, Kawai, Estonia, and Mason and Hamlin. I really enjoyed the Mason and Hamlin BB, but in the end the SK was just my piano.

I really enjoyed working with Bozkurt at Carnes Piano in San Jose. Lots of great pianos there.

Will post photos once it arrives. Now I need to get busy getting the room ready!
Posted by: ando

Re: Ordered a Shigeru Kawai today - 10/07/12 12:55 AM

Congratulations! That's a very exciting purchase.
Posted by: Dara

Re: Ordered a Shigeru Kawai today - 10/07/12 02:25 AM

To my understanding this is an amazing and beautiful piano.
Would love to play a SK6.
Congrats and pleasure !
Posted by: Rafterman

Re: Ordered a Shigeru Kawai today - 10/07/12 02:44 AM

Congrats! I want to see a million pictures up here when you get situated. I am on the fence but leaning towards the Kawai Shigeru SK6 myself.
Posted by: Robert 45

Re: Ordered a Shigeru Kawai today - 10/07/12 04:01 AM

Hi Amy B,
I hope that this beautiful piano will enrich your piano playing and turn your piano dream into reality.

Congratulations!

Robert.
Posted by: rlinkt

Re: Ordered a Shigeru Kawai today - 10/07/12 08:09 AM

Congratulations!! Post some sound clips if you get a chance!

Agree on your note about Carnes and Bozkurt. Although I ended up buying elsewhere, I did get to hear many fine pianos at Carnes.
Posted by: Peter K. Mose

Re: Ordered a Shigeru Kawai today - 10/07/12 10:43 AM

Amy, this is great. We're excited for you! Can you put into 2 or 3 sentences what so grabbed you about the Shigeru over the other makes? I know it's hard to put this into words, but some of us could learn a lot if you want to try.

Also, did any of those other pianos turn you on a little besides the Mason & Hamlin? I might guess Schimmel, for example, or Bechstein.

Cheers,
Peter
Posted by: allthumbs

Re: Ordered a Shigeru Kawai today - 10/07/12 05:34 PM

Hi Amy

Congratulations on choosing a very nice piano indeed! You are so lucky only to have to wait a few weeks. I'm still waiting for my Sauter and it is getting more difficult every day that passes. crazy

Cheers,

Kevin
Posted by: ando

Re: Ordered a Shigeru Kawai today - 10/07/12 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: allthumbs
You are so lucky only to have to wait a few weeks. I'm still waiting for my Sauter and it is getting more difficult every day that passes. crazy

Maybe Mr Sauter messed up the signature and decided to build you a new piano or cast a new plate. wink

Re: Ordered a Shigeru Kawai today - 10/08/12 10:05 AM

To Peter,

It is really hard for me to put in words what made me go with the Shigeru. In the end, it was really a gut feel for me. The other pianos that I gave a second thought to were Bechstein, Boesendorfer, and Mason and Hamlin. The Schimmels just didn't speak to me, but I really can't say why. It would have been great to play all of the ones I liked right next to each other, but that just wasn't possible! In the end, I felt the Mason and Hamlin BB was a little harder to control (soundwise), and would have been a very loud piano in my home. The SK6 can get quite loud, but you can really play it very softly. I loved the range that it had. The action of the SK feels simply wonderful to me. It feels like a piano I can play for hours, without getting tired. I felt that a few of the pianos would do my fingers in after an hour of practice. I noticed this with Yamahas and a few Steinways, in particular.

A couple of other things helped my decision. One was an article by George Kolasis - http://www.georgekolasis.com/shigeru-kawai.html
He seems to know what he's talking about, and he ranks it among the top four pianos in the world. The other three are significantly more costly than the SKs. Another factor was the opinion of my piano technician. He was trained at Steinway - Hamburg. I thought for sure he would dismiss the idea of this new type of action, but he actually spoke very highly of the SKs, and I think is really looking forward to working on it!

And in the end, my heart just kept going back to the SK. I kept trying to talk myself into the smaller, less expensive SK3, but there was just something about that 7 foot mark that made it just that much better. I felt this way with Mason and Hamlin as well.

I hope that answers your question!
Posted by: Robert 45

Re: Ordered a Shigeru Kawai today - 10/08/12 08:16 PM

Hello again Amy B,
In your reply to Peter, you mention the feel and action of the piano as well as its dynamic range from pp to ff.
How did you find the timbre or tone colours of this SK6 piano? How was the sound in the treble which can be a problematic area for many pianos?

I would be most interested in your appraisal of the sound qualities of this piano.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Robert.
Posted by: allthumbs

Re: Ordered a Shigeru Kawai today - 10/09/12 03:10 AM

Originally Posted By: ando
Originally Posted By: allthumbs
You are so lucky only to have to wait a few weeks. I'm still waiting for my Sauter and it is getting more difficult every day that passes. crazy

Maybe Mr Sauter messed up the signature and decided to build you a new piano or cast a new plate. wink

Hahaha, maybe that could be the reason it's taking so long. laugh
Posted by: KawaiDon

Re: Ordered a Shigeru Kawai today - 10/09/12 04:40 PM

Hi Amy,

There is good news from Kawai America for you . . your piano will leave the Los Angeles area this week! It should be able to be delivered to you some time next week.

Actually, this was my mistake - we have one coming from Japan in about 2 weeks, which I had told Bozkurt would be held for you. But when I got back to the office yesterday I found out that one had also arrived a couple of weeks ago while I was traveling, and I didn't know about it. So my surprise is yours as well!

Enjoy your new piano! And yes, please post pictures when it comes!

Don Mannino, MPA
Kawai America
Posted by: Peter K. Mose

Re: Ordered a Shigeru Kawai today - 10/09/12 08:04 PM

Amy, many thanks for your expanded thoughts. It's very difficult to talk about pianos and one's personal reactions to them, but you have done so wonderfully. Sometimes major decisions just fall into place with clarity. Enjoy that instrument!

Peter
Posted by: Minnesota Marty

Re: Ordered a Shigeru Kawai today - 10/09/12 08:29 PM

Amy B - Congratulations!

Great pianos and I know you will love it. They are a joy to play.

Now that K-Don has you pacing the floor in anticipation, he should replace the worn carpeting!
Posted by: AJF

Re: Ordered a Shigeru Kawai today - 10/09/12 08:55 PM

Congratulations Amy!
Posted by: Hideki Matsui

Re: Ordered a Shigeru Kawai today - 10/10/12 02:11 AM

Congratulations. I am a very happy owner of a SK5. Also purchased from Boz at Carnes. Great piano people over there. You will love your piano even more after the Master Tech. visit. I love the tone of the Shigeru and the action is second to none IMO.
Posted by: gmf001

Re: Ordered a Shigeru Kawai today - 10/10/12 08:41 PM

Amy
Congrats on the piano selection. I've been on a similar hunt and played many of the same brands and possibles as you. While my decision isn't quite finalized it looks like I'll end up in a similar spot to you. We will await pics of your new SK6. I'll post me final saga shortly once the paper work is done.
Posted by: Sparky McBiff

Re: Ordered a Shigeru Kawai today - 10/11/12 05:43 PM

Wow, congratulations indeed.
I'm guessing that you are now going to have to change your Pianoworld signature tag line now.
Posted by: Scott McBain

Re: Ordered a Shigeru Kawai today - 10/14/12 07:48 PM

Amy

Thank you for the nice comments. I am sure you will be fully satisfied for life with what I call the "perfect piano"

And yes, Bozkurt is one of the most knowledgeable sales persons in the piano business and extremely valued.. He is the son of a Turkish diplomat at the Mexican consulate, speaks four or five languages fluently, plays incessantly and studies ferociously about pianos. He travels for another German piano manufacturer and gives piano/sales symposiums around the country. He has learned diplomacy as a matter of course through upbringing.

I promise...He will answer and service all queries and build a very nice long piano relationship.

Kudos to you for your selection and the enduring process in finding the perfect piano.

Re: Ordered a Shigeru Kawai today - 10/14/12 09:18 PM

Just to update.....my piano is in the area, but I am busy trying to get the room ready! We are painting, installing recessed lights, crown molding, etc. We hope to be ready in a week or so. I will be sure to post some photos as soon as possible. BTW, I will never part with my wonderful old Ivers and Pond, so I will have two pianos in my living room. Am already thinking about those two piano-four hands arrangements!!
Posted by: Sparky McBiff

Re: Ordered a Shigeru Kawai today - 10/14/12 10:05 PM

Just be aware that when you paint the humidity inside goes up significantly for a while. Although that shouldn't be an issue really but any plastering work will DRASTICALLY raise the humidity for a while and I've even seen some heavy renovation work with lots of plastering warp (cup) a newly installed hardwood floor (which is why it is always a good idea to install the flooring after all the plastering (and painting) is done if possible).
Posted by: goncken

Re: Ordered a Shigeru Kawai today - 10/25/12 10:15 AM

Your search experience was very much like mine. I did like the Bechsteins, and I had always had my heart set on a Steinway, but like you, my Shigeru just "spoke" to me.
CONGRATULATIONS! YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.
Posted by: Rafterman

Re: Ordered a Shigeru Kawai today - 10/28/12 02:29 AM

I hope to join your Shigeru club next year after my new house is built. I would love to see some pictures when you get situated.