Braumuller "New York" Upright piano from the 60s worth?

Posted by: markm75

Braumuller "New York" Upright piano from the 60s worth? - 11/13/12 11:17 PM

Sorry I dont have a photo at the moment, but i've got an old piano which appears to be dated 1967. It has several keys that need fixed and needs tuned. I think estimates were that it would cost at least $350 or so to do so.

I wanted to sell it, but I'm not sure of its worth (if any), considering it will take the expense of "movers" to get it out of the house etc.

Anyone know off hand if these old pianos are worth much for the hassle involved?

Thanks
Posted by: Plowboy

Re: Braumuller "New York" Upright piano from the 60s worth? - 11/14/12 03:27 PM

Is it a spinet? If so, the conventional wisdom around here would be that his has almost no value.
Posted by: markm75

Re: Braumuller "New York" Upright piano from the 60s worth? - 11/15/12 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Plowboy
Is it a spinet? If so, the conventional wisdom around here would be that his has almost no value.

Its a full upright.. Still didnt get chance to snap a photo but it looks similar to say this http://www.pianocareco.com/media/3689aa21bb683270ffff80beffffe905.JPG
Posted by: tonedefreegan

Re: Braumuller "New York" Upright piano from the 60s worth? - 11/15/12 04:10 PM

that's still a fairly small piano. probably not quite a 'full' upright :p

having said that, we have a very similar but slightly taller late 50s/early 60s piano which we found as a freebie on gumtree. it's actually very good, tone wise, and mechanically sound. our tech says worth about $1000 on merit, but that's theory only. in practice you could never hope to sell it for that. upshot, even a very good example of a 50 year old upright of reasonable size is still, at best, a give away. maybe a yamaha might attract $1000 at 50yrs, but not your lesser knowns, as mine is ( it's a Mignon - well regarded by techs but not common these days).
Posted by: BDB

Re: Braumuller "New York" Upright piano from the 60s worth? - 11/15/12 04:27 PM

If it is a studio upright, about 45 inches tall, it has some value. They were made for school use, so they are fairly rugged, and hold up well when all they have had is household use.