Piano World Home Page
Posted By: schwammerl The end of Pleyel - 11/15/12 06:46 PM
Manufacture Pleyel soll verkauft werden
Hubert Martigny, Eigentümer der Traditionsfirma will bis zum Jahresende die Manufacture Pleyel an eine "kleinere Luxusgruppe" verkaufen. Zur Zeit produziert Pleyel in einem kleinen Atelier in St. Denis bei Paris etwa 25 hochpreisige Flügel pro Jahr. 2006 wurde die Fabrik in Südfrankreich geschlossen, dort wurden bis zu 1.000 Instrumente im Jahr gefertigt. Aufgrund des enormen Konkurrenzdrucks aus Asien schrieb die Fabrik allerdings durchweg rote Zahlen und musste dicht gemacht werden.Anscheinend ist die jetzige Lage auch nicht optimal und es sollen einige Optionen geprüft werden. Eine davon könnte sein, dass unter der berühmten Marke Pleyel günstige asiatische Instrumente verkauft werden.

Freely translated.

By the end of this year the Pleyel factory will be sold to an Asian 'Luxury product group'. After the factory in the South of France was closed down in 2006 (1000 piano/year) Pleyel continued manufacturing some 25 high priced grands in St. Denis near Paris. This latter production in St. Denis appeared not to be successful either and the company continued making losses every year. An option is now that a cheap Asian line is manufcatured in Asia.

source: [url=http://pianoinforum.blogspot.de/2012/11/manufacture-pleyel-soll-verkauft-werden.html][/url]

schwammerl.
Posted By: acortot Re: The end of Pleyel - 11/15/12 11:41 PM
Not surprised
Posted By: Rich Galassini Re: The end of Pleyel - 11/15/12 11:48 PM
I am also not surprised, but I am saddened by this news.
Posted By: ChopinAddict Re: The end of Pleyel - 11/16/12 12:31 AM
frown
Posted By: Supply Re: The end of Pleyel - 11/16/12 06:56 AM
I guess the recent Peugeot-designed stylish grand was Pleyel's last hurray and a farewell kick at the can. Too bad. Variety and diversity are a good thing, but then good things only last so long...

Pleyel Art Case Grand
Posted By: Lluís Re: The end of Pleyel - 11/16/12 07:45 AM
For me Pleyel died 80 years ago... Actual Pleyel directive didn't knew how to manage good the Pleyel production making high quality furniture with relative-quality instruments very far away from what once Pleyel was.
Posted By: Steve Cohen Re: The end of Pleyel - 11/16/12 02:35 PM
Sad, but not unexpected.

Things are likely to get worse, mostly among some marginal mid-range and entry level manufacturers and distributors.

There are simple to many brands chasing too few $$$. Weaker manufactuters and distributors face a huge challenge.

Not all will make it.

[A least that is this consultants view.]
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums