Yamaha g1

Posted by: sun1

Yamaha g1 - 11/17/12 09:09 PM

I am thinking about purchasing a 1989 Yamaha g1 in black gloss that is in excellent condition for $7400. Any thoughts? Good price? Good piano? Please help!
Posted by: gnuboi

Re: Yamaha g1 - 11/20/12 03:35 AM

The price is ok. G1 is a good piano, but if you're unsure about it's condition, hire a piano tech who may be able to tell you which parts may need repair or replacement in the near term.
Posted by: Dave B

Re: Yamaha g1 - 11/20/12 08:46 PM

Have you played it?
Posted by: thetandyman

Re: Yamaha g1 - 11/20/12 10:13 PM

Sun1, just a note, I bought a G7 in March , one owner, nice shape, for $4400. It turned out to be a very nice unit. Stays in tune for over 7 months after the initial tuning. I got a good deal, but it doesn't hurt to look around awhile longer for a better deal. The price you stated seems a little high unless the piano is immaculate.
Posted by: concun

Re: Yamaha g1 - 12/03/12 10:05 PM

My dear friend just got one in Austin TX for $5K, and it's only 10 years old. I haven't played on her so I don't know how good it sound, her instructor said it is a nice one and she got a good deal.
Posted by: JazzPianoOnline

Re: Yamaha g1 - 12/03/12 11:33 PM

I love this little piano. I played on one for years at a restaurant gig and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The bass is not impressive but the entire treble is perfect. I saw one in North Carolina for around 6k recently so I think you could get a little off that price.
Posted by: ventil

Re: Yamaha g1 - 12/04/12 11:45 PM

Are the G1 and the GC1 comparable?
Posted by: Morodiene

Re: Yamaha g1 - 12/05/12 08:22 AM

I think for that money you could get a used G2 in very good condition. The bass notes will be better on the longer pianos - all other things being equal.

I have a refurbished G3, and while it needed some maintenance work, I have really enjoyed it.
Posted by: xentis

Re: Yamaha g1 - 12/05/12 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: ventil
Are the G1 and the GC1 comparable?

It depends on the year of manufacture. I think the last models in the nineties have the same plate as the C1 and are therefor comparable with the CG1.

Nevertheless the G1 is a nice baby grand. Some weeks ago I bought a 1982 G1 in excellent condition from a privat seller. The touch and tone is superb for the size of the piano. Absolutly no problems with the quality.
Posted by: wilf

Re: Yamaha g2 - 04/13/13 01:39 PM

I'm looking at a 1988 G2. They are asking 8,000.00. Is this a reasonable price for 2013.

Thanks,

Wilf
Posted by: terminaldegree

Re: Yamaha g2 - 04/13/13 02:17 PM

You may want to start a new thread, and provide a lot more information for a better answer-
how does it sound, feel, and look?
how was it used, kept, and cared for previously?
have you had it inspected by a technician, and does it need anything?
private seller, or from a dealer (with a warranty)?
is it a gray market instrument or made for the N. American market?
if it is gray market, what has been replaced?
Posted by: wilf

Re: Yamaha g2 - 04/13/13 02:41 PM

I don't know how to start a new thread.

The piano sounds, feels and looks good. I will have it inspected before I buy. Right now I'm just trying to get a ball park idea as to whether it is a reasonable deal. It is a private seller. The owner is close to a concert pianist. What is "gray market" and how would you know that? Also, I am in Canada so those are Canadian dollars.
Thanks,
Wilf