Posted by: Bosendorff

- 11/23/12 01:16 AM

Posted by: AndyJ

Re: Optimal angle for a grand piano in a room - 11/23/12 11:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Bosendorff
Hello,

I will soon get a grand piano that will go in a L-shaped room. In Fine's book about the optimal position of a piano in a room, he briefly mentions that a L-shaped room can optimize the bass response without explaining much about how to achieve that.

I was wondering if anyone could have an idea just from drawings what could be the best angle (choices 1 to 4 on the picture) for the piano to get an optimal sound, especially for the bass. Maybe someone here knows, for example, that bass waves tend to come out of the piano in a certain direction, etc.

On the drawing, blue indicates outside walls, and since they get cold in winter I will keep the piano close to the interior walls (in grey).

Thanks in advance !

I think you'll find placement makes no difference at all in the sound of the bass. The wavelength is so long compared to the room's dimensions that any placement is effectively the same.
Posted by: Dave Horne

Re: Optimal angle for a grand piano in a room - 11/23/12 01:07 PM

I've found that having the soundboard of a grand piano parallel to the floor leads to greater enjoyment.
Posted by: wouter79

Re: Optimal angle for a grand piano in a room - 11/23/12 01:33 PM

>choices 1 to 4 on the picture

which picture?
Posted by: Withindale

Re: Optimal angle for a grand piano in a room - 11/23/12 02:05 PM

http://postimage.org/image/6nf5igrjh/
Posted by: Bosendorff

Re: Optimal angle for a grand piano in a room - 11/23/12 02:28 PM

Thanks AndyJ ! smile

That's what I was thinking too - that the difference would probably be very small regardless of the angle.
Posted by: Supply

Re: Optimal angle for a grand piano in a room - 11/23/12 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Bosendorff
On the drawing, blue indicates outside walls, and since they get cold in winter I will keep the piano close to the interior walls (in grey).
Why limit your options unnecessarily? Unless you live in northern Wisconsin in an 80 year old farmhouse with no insulation in the walls, you really don't need to worry about the exterior walls being so cold as to present a problem to a piano located six inches or a foot away. Windows with direct sunlight are a different story, of course.
Posted by: beethoven986

Re: Optimal angle for a grand piano in a room - 11/23/12 04:35 PM

43.7642245678990986 degrees. Purple walls are best for optimal sound transmission.