Grand piano casters and hardwood floors

Posted by: Amaruk

Grand piano casters and hardwood floors - 11/25/12 09:47 PM

Larger grand pianos seem to have extra wide (double) wheels. Can these pianos be rolled around in a room with pre-finished 3/4" hardwood floors (e.g. maple) without denting or scratching the floors?
Posted by: beethoven986

Re: Grand piano casters and hardwood floors - 11/25/12 10:42 PM

Get ones with a rubberized coating. If you are getting concert grand casters, you will have to have the legs modified.
Posted by: gmf001

Re: Grand piano casters and hardwood floors - 11/26/12 06:42 PM

this is what I decided to do for my new SK7 that is in a large studio space with cherry floors (cherry is softer than maple) to make sure I wouldn't damage either the floor or piano. The piano isn't moved regularly, but I wanted the option.
http://www.vandaking.com/schaff-double-wheels-grand-leg-dollies.html
Posted by: Amaruk

Re: Grand piano casters and hardwood floors - 11/26/12 08:36 PM

Thanks for the info! gmfoo1, those wheels look interesting. But the quote on that page:
Quote:
These Dollies should not be used in place of a Grand Piano Truck Dolly that needs to be moved more than a few inches. Grand pianos should never be moved around , on their own legs. This will cause the bolts on the legs to strip, eventually breaking the legs..
tells me that moving a piano more than a few inches might not be good if you do it too often... Great info!! Thanks!
Posted by: BDB

Re: Grand piano casters and hardwood floors - 11/26/12 09:32 PM

Really, the type of equipment you should have for moving a piano depends on a number of factors, like how far you are moving it, how often, and whether you will ever lift it. If you have a good technician, you can get advice that would be appropriate for your situation.
Posted by: Morodiene

Re: Grand piano casters and hardwood floors - 11/27/12 08:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
[quote=Amaruk]Thanks for the info! gmfoo1, those wheels look interesting. But the quote on that page:
Quote:
These Dollies should not be used in place of a Grand Piano Truck Dolly that needs to be moved more than a few inches. Grand pianos should never be moved around , on their own legs. This will cause the bolts on the legs to strip, eventually breaking the legs..
tells me that moving a piano more than a few inches might not be good if you do it too often... Great info!! Thanks!

Perhaps that is more a disclaimer for someone who is moving a piano from one house to another since they refer to them not replacing a truck dolly.

The last sentence in the quote, "Grand pianos should never be moved around , on their own legs. This will cause the bolts on the legs to strip, eventually breaking the legs" is in a separate paragraph from the rest on the site. I think they are saying that without casters like the ones they are selling, pianos should not be moved around on their own wheels/legs. I know of grand pianos at universities that get moved around all the time for performances from a back room to the stage, or different places on the stage. They are always on some sort of caster. I would think that there has to be some way to do this without the legs falling off! smile
Posted by: Norbert

Re: Grand piano casters and hardwood floors - 11/27/12 03:56 PM

Quote:
The piano isn't moved regularly, but I wanted the option.

In this case don't worry.

Norbert smile