A little bit of help needed.

Posted by: kutacat

A little bit of help needed. - 12/02/12 05:31 PM

I just found out that my daughter needs a piano accompanist for her violin exam, so I have to learn her songs on the piano fairly quickly. I haven't taken lessons in many years.....

In one piece of music, the right hand is playing in the bass clef, and so is the left hand. At one part there is 8va under the left hand.

So do I just play the left hand one octave lower? If I play the left hand an octave higher, I have to cross my hands and it is hard to get my hands on the correct notes.

Thanks
Posted by: BDB

Re: A little bit of help needed. - 12/02/12 05:40 PM

Yes, play it lower.

In the future, questions like this should be posted to the Pianist Corner.
Posted by: Morodiene

Re: A little bit of help needed. - 12/02/12 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: kutacat
I just found out that my daughter needs a piano accompanist for her violin exam, so I have to learn her songs on the piano fairly quickly. I haven't taken lessons in many years.....

In one piece of music, the right hand is playing in the bass clef, and so is the left hand. At one part there is 8va under the left hand.

So do I just play the left hand one octave lower? If I play the left hand an octave higher, I have to cross my hands and it is hard to get my hands on the correct notes.

Thanks

No offense intended, but I really recommend that you find an accompanist. If you are having this kind of difficulty, then will you really be able to play confidently enough so that your daughter can perform well? Playing piano and accompanying are very different things.
Posted by: Dave B

Re: A little bit of help needed. - 12/03/12 11:54 AM

Will the examiners allow a recorded accompaniment?
Posted by: keystring

Re: A little bit of help needed. - 02/04/13 09:05 PM

I have done violin exams, and so did my son when he was a child. The accompanist plays an important role. An experienced accompanist is worth the money, because the accompanist will set your child at ease and do a certain degree of guiding. Accompanying is a special skill at any time, but especially important when the musician is inexperienced and under pressure.
Posted by: keystring

Re: A little bit of help needed. - 02/04/13 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave B
Will the examiners allow a recorded accompaniment?

That would be very hard on the young student.