question regarding piano tone

Posted by: peabody

question regarding piano tone - 12/03/12 03:05 PM

Hi to all and thanks ahead of time for responses.
I own a one year old Estonia 168 and have had some concerns about tone since it was purchased. I am now finding that I prefer it's tone if I play it while depressing the una corda pedal. I enjoy the warmer, mellow tone I hear.
My question is regarding future voicing. I am now tempted to have the piano voiced for a more mellow warm tone but.... I don't want to lose any power of the treble section because I have thought the volume of the treble section was relatively weak to begin with. Think I can get what I want out of this?
Thanks.
Posted by: Rickster

Re: question regarding piano tone - 12/03/12 03:16 PM

Find a piano technician skilled and experienced in the art of voicing.

I have heard of some techs adjusting the una-corda so that the hammer face is shifted ever so slightly out of its normal position (to get it out of the hardened string grooves). This will yield a mellower tone until the voicing can be done.

I've read pros and cons of this approach. Some say it is hard on the flange bushings.

Anyway, a good voicer can usually accomplish what you want... make sure you are there with them coaching them on the tone you are after while they are doing the voicing.

Good luck!

Rick
Posted by: Keith D Kerman

Re: question regarding piano tone - 12/03/12 03:28 PM

Hi Peabody,

It is good that you have a reference for the sound you want on that very piano. You can show the tech exactly what you want rather than trying to describe tone. Remember to communicate your concerns about the treble.

If the tech you are working with knows what he is doing, don't worry about voicing the piano to be mellow. If it is too mellow, you can play it back in over time.

When you are depressing the una corda, are you fully engaging it, or just partially engaging it? If you are not aware, you can gradually depress the una corda to find hammer felt that is not played in and get a different kind of sound, without fully depressing it and having it hit less strings.

The thing about voicing is it is constantly changing. The harder you play, and the more you play, the faster the voicing changes. Also, if you are very sensitive and demanding about your voicing, you may have to have it maintained more often.
Posted by: Steve Cohen

Re: question regarding piano tone - 12/03/12 05:33 PM

Great answer Keith.