How much is my Baldwin Hamilton worth?! HELP PLEASE

Posted by: bklynbelle

How much is my Baldwin Hamilton worth?! HELP PLEASE - 12/04/12 09:18 PM

I have a Baldwin Hamilton 243B serial number 305768 that I would like to sell ASAP but I have no idea what its worth. Can anyone find info and let me know? It's in fantastic condition and only been moved once by pros thumb

Re: How much is my Baldwin Hamilton worth?! HELP PLEASE - 12/04/12 09:24 PM

If anyone could tell me what year it was made that would be great too!
Posted by: AJF

Re: How much is my Baldwin Hamilton worth?! HELP PLEASE - 12/04/12 10:32 PM

Have you checked places like Craigslist and Kijiji for comparison?

Re: How much is my Baldwin Hamilton worth?! HELP PLEASE - 12/04/12 10:40 PM

I have but i'm not sure if I can compare it to what i've seen. I was thinking somewhere between the 3 to 5 thousand range but i'm really not sure. I dont know much about pianos and this one was a gift.. help
Posted by: BDB

Re: How much is my Baldwin Hamilton worth?! HELP PLEASE - 12/04/12 10:44 PM

It was made in 1977. Value depends on a variety of things, including the leather in the action. With the wrong kind of leather, it could be worthless.

Re: How much is my Baldwin Hamilton worth?! HELP PLEASE - 12/04/12 11:25 PM

hmmm so is there a ballpark range for me to sell it in? Does a 35 year old piano lose a ton of value? sorry for all the questions!
Posted by: Edtek

Re: How much is my Baldwin Hamilton worth?! HELP PLEASE - 12/05/12 02:10 AM

I've been keeping tabs on Hamilton prices since I bought mine (a 1953 for $500). Here are some asking prices I've seen (don't know if they resulted in sales):
1961 350
1967 2000
1979 600
1982 1250
1983 300
1984 1900
1988 600
1990 1500

The new price back in '77 was about $3800. Now I think they sell new for about $5000.

As you can see, they vary a lot. The price of an older piano depends largely on the model and the individual piano's condition. The Baldwin Hamilton has a very good reputation so it is pretty easy to sell but the condition counts for much. If it's in very good shape, I guess I'd start about $1800 and see what the reaction is. After some buyers look at it you might have a better idea of its condition and worth.

Re: How much is my Baldwin Hamilton worth?! HELP PLEASE - 12/05/12 02:48 AM

Thank You So Much! That was very helpful information. I will try that and see what happens thumb
Posted by: beethoven986

Re: How much is my Baldwin Hamilton worth?! HELP PLEASE - 12/05/12 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: bklynbelle
I was thinking somewhere between the 3 to 5 thousand range...

One can buy a brand new or slightly used upright for that, complete with warranty and one free tuning from a dealer, and sometimes free delivery. Yours could be worth anything from $0 to maybe $1300 on a really, really good day.... Like, a rainbows and sunshine kind of good day, complete with unicorns (Sorry, just trying to drive home the point). A more realistic expectation would be a few hundred dollars.

Originally Posted By: bklynbelle
hmmm so is there a ballpark range for me to sell it in? Does a 35 year old piano lose a ton of value?

Yes. Uprights this old retain 20% of their value at best. Currently, they sell for $6000 give or take a few Benjamins, so 20% of that is the best you can reasonably expect to get.
Posted by: beethoven986

Re: How much is my Baldwin Hamilton worth?! HELP PLEASE - 12/05/12 03:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Edtek
I guess I'd start about $1800 and see what the reaction is. After some buyers look at it you might have a better idea of its condition and worth.

If it's in perfect condition, $1300 would be top of the mark, and IMO, that would still be too high. Considering the state of the economy, supply & demand, etc. one can buy a <10 year old Kawai 48" in the mid-2k, low-3k range, which would still carry a transferable warranty. Considering any used piano is going to require a few hundred dollars worth of work, or more, and the fact that the piano will be utterly useless when the pinblock ultimately fails, there's just not much there....

Re: How much is my Baldwin Hamilton worth?! HELP PLEASE - 12/05/12 04:13 AM

Wow, thanks for all of the information guys. I was hoping to get more to help pay some bills but it looks like i'll probably end up keeping it. Thanks Again!
Posted by: Rickster

Re: How much is my Baldwin Hamilton worth?! HELP PLEASE - 12/05/12 07:31 AM

I have a 1985 model Baldwin 243 studio that I bought from a local state college surplus sale. The cabinet was a little scuffed up from moving around, but the insides (what really matters) were in great condition. I paid just over $500. A great deal, I thought.

Plus, it has a nice tone and touch and I've played the heck out of it since I've had it. smile

Oh yea, great advice here so far...

Rick
Posted by: apple*

Re: How much is my Baldwin Hamilton worth?! HELP PLEASE - 12/05/12 07:50 AM

and i think 500 is a good ball park price.