For $20000 do you buy a new Kawai RX-2 or 20 year-old steinw

Posted by: yshhq

For $20000 do you buy a new Kawai RX-2 or 20 year-old steinw - 12/04/12 10:59 PM

For $20000 do you buy a new Kawai RX-2 or 20 year-old steinway? if steinway is in good condition.

Re: For $20000 do you buy a new Kawai RX-2 or 20 year-old steinw - 12/04/12 11:00 PM

steinway is model "M"
Posted by: OG Ryder

Re: For $20000 do you buy a new Kawai RX-2 or 20 year-old steinw - 12/04/12 11:08 PM

Steinway is going to need maintenance work at some point to keep it up. Kawai should be turn-key.

But let's say the value of the two is about the same, the biggest factor for me would be this: Which one sounds and feels better to you?
Posted by: BDB

Re: For $20000 do you buy a new Kawai RX-2 or 20 year-old steinw - 12/04/12 11:26 PM

The Kawai will also need maintenance work at some point to keep it up.
Posted by: monads

Re: For $20000 do you buy a new Kawai RX-2 or 20 year-old steinw - 12/05/12 04:03 AM

I'll take the Kawai.
Posted by: backto_study_piano

Re: For $20000 do you buy a new Kawai RX-2 or 20 year-old steinw - 12/05/12 06:05 AM

You need to play them and decide. Which one do you like playing most. Coz if you don't like playing it, you won't.

I like the RX Kawai. I like a good Steinway more, however, not knowing the condition makes it impossible to advise. Play them over and over - like you'd do with a long playing session at home. And if purchasing a second hand piano, always have a reputable technician check it out.

The Kawai would come with new piano warranty.
Posted by: Rich Galassini

Re: For $20000 do you buy a new Kawai RX-2 or 20 year-old steinw - 12/05/12 07:11 AM

My choice would depend upon the condition of the Steinway. Play them both. If you still feel uncomfortable, have an independent piano technician examine the Steinway for you. You can find one at www.ptg.org.

Just curious, have you auditioned other brands as well? If so, are these the two pianos that you enjoyed most? (Our advice gets better when we have the best information)

Good luck,
Posted by: John Pels

Re: For $20000 do you buy a new Kawai RX-2 or 20 year-old steinw - 12/05/12 08:37 AM

If they are both equally desirable sonically and pianistically, I'd go with the Steinway. It will maintain a greater percentage of its value over time.
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: For $20000 do you buy a new Kawai RX-2 or 20 year-old steinw - 12/05/12 09:29 AM

The difference between what a Steinway maintains in value vs. what another make maintains is very small according to both the depreciation tables in the PB and an article in the other book similar to the PB(whose name I can't recall right now).
Posted by: Steve Cohen

Re: For $20000 do you buy a new Kawai RX-2 or 20 year-old steinw - 12/05/12 09:34 AM

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
The difference between what a Steinway maintains in value vs. what another make maintains is very small according to both the depreciation tables in the PB and an article in the other book similar to the PB(whose name I can't recall right now).

While I belive that is true when comparing the depreciation of a Steinway when it goes from new to used, I think Steinway, when purchased used, will hold a great percentage of it cost that a new Kawai (or any other brand).

In the Ops case, if the tech approves the Steinway, I would strongly lean in that direction.
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: For $20000 do you buy a new Kawai RX-2 or 20 year-old steinw - 12/05/12 09:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Steve Cohen

While I belive that is true when comparing the depreciation of a Steinway when it goes from new to used, I think Steinway, when purchased used, will hold a great percentage of it cost that a new Kawai (or any other brand).
Is this basically because the biggest depreciation occurs in the first few years, i.e. the Steinway after 5 more years will go from its 20 year old value to the 25 year old value(not such a big change) but the Kawai would go from new to 5 year old value(a bigger percent change)?
Posted by: Beethoven747-400

Re: For $20000 do you buy a new Kawai RX-2 or 20 year-old steinw - 12/05/12 10:35 AM

Hi,

It has been established that the condition of the Steinway is an imperative in your decision.

The Kawai would be a safer option and for 20,000 it is a very good price (at least for Australian standards, they retail for 35,000+++ here).

The age of the Steinway shouldn't be of concern but rather how the piano has been treated, if the 20 year old Steinway has been played very rarely and is kept covered and well looked after the Steinway would be obviously the better option, however if it's been heavily played on 8 hours a day for the last 20 years.... then... yeah.

The inside of the piano imo is a good indication of the shape and health of the piano, ask to look inside the piano and just generally inspect the sound board, and strings etc. If they look rusted or discolored or you just may not be sure then call a technican! You don't want me pay 20,000 and find out you bought a potato for a few bucks for a technican.

Try to find out about the history of the Steinway as well, 1 owner? regular tune ups?

I have been recently playing on a model D Steinway that's 30 years old and also a relatively new Fazioli. I much prefer the tone of the Steinway and the versatility and ability for colour change. However the touch of the Fazioli just wins, obviously the Steinway has lost its touch over the 30 years history but this of course can all be adjusted and regulated.

A Steinway of only 20 years can be put in very good shape by a good technican, you decide!!!

Good luck!
|

Re: For $20000 do you buy a new Kawai RX-2 or 20 year-old steinw - 12/05/12 10:37 AM

Thank you all for your advice! I am thinking to purchase RX-2, and came across a private seller about this steinway. Just want to decide whether it is worthwhile to check it out.
Posted by: BDB

Re: For $20000 do you buy a new Kawai RX-2 or 20 year-old steinw - 12/05/12 11:40 AM

Is this basically because the biggest depreciation occurs in the first few years, i.e. the Steinway after 5 more years will go from its 20 year old value to the 25 year old value(not such a big change) but the Kawai would go from new to 5 year old value(a bigger percent change)?

The biggest depreciation is when something goes from "new" to "used." In other words, between the showroom and your room.
Posted by: sophial

Re: For $20000 do you buy a new Kawai RX-2 or 20 year-old steinw - 12/05/12 11:48 AM

sure it's worth it to check it out. If you prefer the sound and touch of the Steinway to the Kawai and it gets a clean bill of health, that is the direction I'd go.
Posted by: Steve Cohen

Re: For $20000 do you buy a new Kawai RX-2 or 20 year-old steinw - 12/05/12 01:02 PM

Precisely.
Posted by: Dave B

Re: For $20000 do you buy a new Kawai RX-2 or 20 year-old steinw - 12/05/12 07:58 PM

Personally I don't like the model "M". But then not all M's are created equal.

New board and strings,etc. New is good when it comes to pianos and Kawai makes a nice piano and offers a warranty.

What other pianos have you looked at? There are many excellent options in your price range. Have you looked at rebuilds?

Re: For $20000 do you buy a new Kawai RX-2 or 20 year-old steinw - 12/11/12 06:32 PM

went with 1989 steinway M for $17000. Love its sound very much, and thought it is even better than the new RX-2 at the recital hall. couldn't be happier.
Posted by: Minnesota Marty

Re: For $20000 do you buy a new Kawai RX-2 or 20 year-old steinw - 12/11/12 07:05 PM

Congratulations!

Enjoy your new-to-you Steinway.