Enjoy,

Jeff Tasch

Grand Piano Haus
Posted by: Maxtor

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 12/12/12 02:49 AM

To quote the video at 1 minute 54 seconds:
"what we have here is the same design as the CF series..."
Oh brilliant.

Also, the model naming of "C1X" makes it less comprehensible than, perhaps, a name like "CX1".

So, just from Yamaha's website, their current model lines for grand pianos are:
CF (including DCFX, and such inconsistent names as CF4, CF6, CFIII, and CFX (two with arabic numerals and two with roman numerals, really??))
C series (C1 through C2, thankfully with these simple and consistent names)
S series (S4BB and S6BB).
G series (including the following lines: GA, GB, GC, and GH)
CX series (which is actually C1X through C7X).

And that is just within the Yamaha brand. I will not start with the Bosendorfer and Cable-Nelson which are included on Yamaha's website

So are these CX's actually just the C's version 2.0?

At least Kawai is a bit more clear, and it lists all its current models at the bottom of its website in one convenient place.

If I ever start a piano company, the pianos will have 4 sizes: compact, medium, large, and concert. Any employee who suggests "movie theater popcorn"-type naming of Large, XLarge, XXLarge, and MegaLarge will be immediately fired.
Posted by: Melodialworks Music

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 12/12/12 08:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Grand Piano Haus
Click below to view:
http://youtu.be/L7F9Um3UnQo

Yamaha
C1x, C2x, C3x, C5x, C6x, C7x

Actually there are named C1X, C2X, C3X, C5X, C6X, C7X.

Listening to the sound on the demo, when he wasn't yammering, was interesting. A big feature of the CX series is the resonance and sustain, which wasn't effectively demonstrated with the selected repertoire.
Posted by: Entheo

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 12/12/12 09:17 AM

that's one nice sounding 6' piano.
Posted by: Rickster

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 12/12/12 12:14 PM

Jeff, why do I get the feeling this thread is advertising? Someone convince me this thead is not advertising.

Rick

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 12/12/12 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Rickster
Jeff, why do I get the feeling this thread is advertising? Someone convince me this thead is not advertising.

Rick

rick, IMHO the video is an ad but given the interest expressed here in the new yamaha line it's a quality recording that at least gives some inclination as to how the 6 footer sounds. i just wish the video contained examples of different pieces played on the differently sized pianos.
Posted by: Furtwangler

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 12/12/12 12:25 PM

Maybe try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMO_fBCvVKM
Posted by: Mark...

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 12/12/12 12:33 PM

Nice video...if the mods are upset over any type of advertising maybe you should have a dealer forum area and let them go nuts. smile
Posted by: carey

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 12/12/12 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Entheo
i just wish the video contained examples of different pieces played on the differently sized pianos.

A missed "opportunity" indeed. Too bad.

Loved the sound of the Mozart, however.
Posted by: 4evrBeginR

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 12/12/12 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Rickster

Rick

Yes, actually that was my thought, an advertising. Yes, my C3X sounds like that, though as Lawrence said, it does not demostrate the sustain and resonance of the C3X. The tone is essentially correct through this high quality video (@ >720p), though mine has a slightly darker and richer intonation. I think for someone who is interested in what a Yamaha C3X sounds like, this is still a useful thread, if the sales guy would only not talk so much.
Posted by: 4evrBeginR

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 12/12/12 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Maxtor
Oh brilliant.

Also, the model naming of "C1X" makes it less comprehensible than, perhaps, a name like "CX1".

Yes, the design is the same, but the quality is clearly not the same. The CF series is much better. Still, I think they managed to capture a lot of the benefit of the CF series. So much so that everyone I spoke with who has tried the hand-made S series and CX series side by side thinks the CX series is better. The build quality of the S series is still better but it doesn't sound better than the CX.

They don't name it CX1 because it is really a C-series. Previous ones were C1 M, and before that was C1 L. Now it's C1 X. My C3X plate says C3, with the serial number X 6300000. When all the CM series are sold, then the only C-series you can buy new is the CX.

This also makes the CM series a really great deal right now. I almost bought a C3M Silent for $2,000 less than my C3X. Yeah the C3X does sound that much better though, so it was a tough choice, since that silent feature could come in handy some times.
Posted by: Robert 45

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 12/12/12 04:45 PM

I do not believe that anyone would need convincing that this is blatant advertising. It is produced by the Yamaha Corporation. The spoken text is almost entirely emotive, persuasive lsnguage. The advertising pitch here is to promote the "European" qualities of this range of pianos.

Kind regards,
Robert.
Posted by: Roger Ransom

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 12/12/12 05:26 PM

Yup, GandPiano Haus, you need to learn to do your advertising like Cunningham and slide it just below radar. There are ways.
Posted by: boyonahill

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/08/13 03:45 AM

Oh brilliant.

CF (including DCFX, and such inconsistent names as CF4, CF6, CFIII, and CFX (two with arabic numerals and two with roman numerals, really??))

And that is just within the Yamaha brand. I will not start with the Bosendorfer and Cable-Nelson which are included on Yamaha's website

At least Kawai is a bit more clear, and it lists all its current models at the bottom of its website in one convenient place.

If I ever start a piano company, the pianos will have 4 sizes: compact, medium, large, and concert. Any employee who suggests "movie theater popcorn"-type naming of Large, XLarge, XXLarge, and MegaLarge will be immediately fired.

Could anybody comment on the above post and tell us all what the Yamaha grand piano lines will be when all "old stock" is sold out?
Posted by: ChrisVenables

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/08/13 08:11 AM

Originally Posted By: boyonahill
Oh brilliant.

Could anybody comment on the above post and tell us all what the Yamaha grand piano lines will be when all "old stock" is sold out?

Hi boyanahill

Here's a list of Yamaha's current grand models, excluding Silent and Disklavier, for the sake of brevity, grin

GB1K 5'
GC1M 5'3"
GC2M 5'8"
C1X 5'3"
C2X 5'8"
C3ST 6'1"(C3 Studio model, cheaper case, plastic sharps)
C3X 6'1"
C5X 6'7"
C6X 7'
C7X 7'6"
S4(BB but not shown as BB in new brochure)
S6 (BB but not shown as BB in new brochure)
CF4 6'3"
CF6 7'
CFX 9'

To indicate a change in scale design, components and/or cabinet style, (sometimes minor, sometimes major) Yamaha have been using a suffix on their Conservatory models for decades, using C3 as an example and in chronological order: C3B, C3D, C3E, C3F, C3L, C3 (no suffix and don't ask me why), C3M (up until end 2012) and now C3X. Unfortunately for all of us, Yamaha didn't always show the suffix on the iron frame alongside the model and serial number, so after the C3F there was no suffix on the frame until the introduction of the C3X.

Yamaha's new brochure shows the GB1K, C6X and CF6 an inch longer than previously - but they aren't longer, Yamaha have simply 'rounded up' the centimetres to the next inch.

Dealers may well have stock of the CM, CFIIIS and the limited edition CXA models for some time, but they're discontinued lines.

Now, who'd like to know about the upright lines? grin
Posted by: Steve Cohen

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/08/13 09:44 AM

I am sensitive to the advertising issues raised here. However, when a major manufacturer comes out with a significant new line of instruments it is news. And while to format was promotional, I don't think it crosses the line.
Posted by: Chopinlover49

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/08/13 10:30 AM

Don't mind getting a little news, even if it is in a commercial. Keeps me up to date.

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/08/13 01:17 PM

Thank you Chris! thumb

Let me add some list price in SEK

--------------------------
Here's a list of Yamaha's current (2013-01-08) grand models, excluding Silent and Disklavier, for the sake of brevity, grin

Prices in SEK, from www.yamaha.se (I don't know if the 25% VAT is included)

GB1K 5'
GC1M 5'3" 140 000 SEK (price for GC1)
GC2M 5'8" 154 000 SEK (price for GC2)
C1X 5'3" 174 000 SEK
C2X 5'8" 184 0000 SEK
C3ST 6'1"(C3 Studio model, cheaper case, plastic sharps)
C3X 6'1" 225 000SEK
C5X 6'7" 255 000SEK
C6X 7' 285 000SEK
C7X 7'6" 330 000SEK
S4(BB but not shown as BB in new brochure) N/A SEK
S6 (BB but not shown as BB in new brochure) N/A SEK
CF4 6'3" 799 000 SEK
CF6 7' 899 000 SEK
CFX 9' 1 450 000 SEK

To indicate a change in scale design, components and/or cabinet style, (sometimes minor, sometimes major) Yamaha have been using a suffix on their Conservatory models for decades, using C3 as an example and in chronological order: C3B, C3D, C3E, C3F, C3L, C3 (no suffix and don't ask me why), C3M (up until end 2012) and now C3X. Unfortunately for all of us, Yamaha didn't always show the suffix on the iron frame alongside the model and serial number, so after the C3F there was no suffix on the frame until the introduction of the C3X.

-------------------------------

One funny thought: Since house prices here haven't fallen in the SEK currency area, only risen, most boomers could buy one of the worlds best grand pianos, CFX, by increasing the mortage on their house. (The Swedish krona was the 9th most traded currency in the world by value in April 2010.) If this is a proof of how crazy house prices are here (still), or a proof of Yamaha having low prices, is up to you.

Interesting to see that the numbers on the Yamaha grand pianos are as decoupled from "reality" as BMW:s nameplates of late. Initially I thought "Cool, the CFX is ten feet!"!

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/08/13 01:25 PM

by my math the C7X translates to $50k USD, which seems quite a low retail price (piano buyer lists a new C7 here in the states at $65K MSRP)
Posted by: Thrill Science

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/08/13 06:24 PM

I admire Ms. Grigoryan's self-control for not telling that Yamaha guy to shut up while she's playing her heart out!
Posted by: buladscot

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/08/13 08:17 PM

Someone convince me this thead is not advertising.

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/08/13 11:27 PM

by my math the C7X translates to $50k USD, which seems quite a low retail price (piano buyer lists a new C7 here in the states at $65K MSRP)

Google
330000 sek in usd
->
330000 Swedish Krona equals
50290.35 US Dollar

I now verified that I got the price right and it was. To tell you the truth I don't know what prices they have on the website. I assume it is not what the retailer pays Yamaha, so it must be prices for "consumers".

But since few private individuals buy grand pianos, the prices may be for corporations or organizations (schools, cities etc) and they don't pay VAT. So the prices might be excluding VAT. BUT the yamaha website is directed to consumers at large, so then it is not allowed to advertise prices without VAT, and especially not if you don't indicate that the VAT is not included.

And anyways, since the VAT is so low or non existing in the USA the prices should be comparable.

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/08/13 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: buladscot
Someone convince me this thead is not advertising.

Well, as long as there isn't a long sales pitch for a specific dealer or "deal to be had" I don't find it that disturbing.

For digital pianos the best youtube-demo-videos is usually those from big internet dealers. 1 minute sales, talk 15 minutes info, 1 minute sales talk. I can live with that if I get a good picture of the product. Compare that with for example yamahas 2 minute quick info video...
Posted by: KillerCharlie

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/09/13 02:04 PM

I find this informative. This is more news than advertisement - it's a huge update to one of the world's most popular piano lines. I played the C3X and found it nothing like the C3. I'm considering buying one.

Besides, if they really wanted to clean up annoying advertising, they'd ban Norbert from sending PMs. That man is prolific.

Posted by: musicpassion

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/10/13 03:25 AM

I think the thread can be informative. But since there is also an advertising aspect, I'm going to share my (negative) thoughts on the advertismement part:

If the guy on the video would stop talking so much it would be easier to hear the piano.

I think the musical selection was a poor choice as it doesn't reveal what the sustained tone sounds like or if the piano can carry a singing line well. I'd rather hear a Chopin Nocturne - that reveals more about the piano IMHO.

Salesman guy says on the video, "Raise the musical standards even further"? Fine. Every piano builder seems to make claims like this. Personally, I didn't like the sound of the piano. But what can I really tell through a recording and my computer speakers? Maybe I'd love it in person.

About the information part: I'm glad to hear there is continued development on the Yamaha pianos - I've had many happy moments playing Yamaha pianos.

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/10/13 08:00 AM

Originally Posted By: musicpassion
I think the thread can be informative. But since there is also an advertising aspect, I'm going to share my (negative) thoughts on the advertismement part:

If the guy on the video would stop talking so much it would be easier to hear the piano.

I think the musical selection was a poor choice as it doesn't reveal what the sustained tone sounds like or if the piano can carry a singing line well. I'd rather hear a Chopin Nocturne - that reveals more about the piano IMHO.

Salesman guy says on the video, "Raise the musical standards even further"? Fine. Every piano builder seems to make claims like this. Personally, I didn't like the sound of the piano. But what can I really tell through a recording and my computer speakers? Maybe I'd love it in person.

About the information part: I'm glad to hear there is continued development on the Yamaha pianos - I've had many happy moments playing Yamaha pianos.

To be able to properly judge the tone and sound of a piano I think one needs far better apparatus for
a) recording
b) storage and encoding
c) playback
than is the case in 99.999% of all youtube video views. Regardsless of irritating voice-over or not.
Posted by: Furtwangler

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/10/13 09:43 AM

I think you are all overly critical.

It is a promotional video. It is not meant to entertain.

Good grief.
Posted by: Norbert

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/10/13 09:01 PM

Quote:
. However, when a major manufacturer comes out with a significant new line of instruments it is news.

Wondering how much is "significantly new"

Significant upgrade in design and material like the Yamaha S-series would have to cost also "significantly higher cost".

The "German felt" thing is something I have never understood as it seems to be be widely used in the industry - why not simply use full "Renner" or "Abel" hammers?

Recently played two of the new C3X series but would need to try some more. Noted major improvements in bass and mid-range.

Very nice pianos with great power projection!

Norbert thumb

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/10/13 11:07 PM

norbert you crack me up.
Posted by: KillerCharlie

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/11/13 02:48 AM

norbert you crack me up.

He sent me a long, rambling PM telling me that Japanese pianos are terrible and I would regret buying one. It was pretty ridiculous, but it did crack me up.

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/11/13 07:32 AM

Originally Posted By: KillerCharlie
norbert you crack me up.

He sent me a long, rambling PM telling me that Japanese pianos are terrible and I would regret buying one. It was pretty ridiculous, but it did crack me up.

norbert can take comfort in the recent Public Policy Poll that ranks used car (substitute certain piano) salesmen edging out Congress re: who the public has a higher opinion of.

11% are still not sure. i'm leaning toward Congress on this one.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_Natl_010813_.pdf
Posted by: Dr Popper

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/12/13 09:54 AM

norbert you crack me up.

I could say the same about most euro trash pianos .....
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/12/13 10:07 AM

norbert you crack me up.

If this is true I'd suggest you contact moderators as this is , I believe, against forum rules.

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/14/13 07:50 AM

note/request to frank/moderators: BBS software should NOT allow edits to posts after subsequent posts/replies. i see that norbert has edited his post of january 10th AFTER a number of us commented on its content, thereby completely corrupting the context & audit trail.
Posted by: Withindale

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/14/13 08:21 AM

note/request to frank/moderators: BBS software should NOT allow edits to posts after subsequent posts/replies

Entheo

It is sometimes necessary to edit a post soon after posting to correct typos, grammar, facts, bad English, unclear statements, ill judged comments, etc. Your request would mean none of that is possible if someone posts one second later. How can that be justified, Norbert excepted?

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/14/13 08:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Withindale
note/request to frank/moderators: BBS software should NOT allow edits to posts after subsequent posts/replies

Entheo

It is sometimes necessary to edit a post soon after posting to correct typos, grammar, facts, bad English, unclear statements, ill judged comments, etc. Your request would mean none of that is possible if someone posts one second later. How can that be justified, Norbert excepted?

good forum software allows a window for editing (60 seconds to a few minutes OR until someone has replied or a subsequent post has been made). this provides the poster with the opportunity to make corrections. it's also encumbent upon the poster to preview his/her post in case someone does post a reply quickly. it's called reviewing before publishing.

HOWEVER, once a subsequent post (i.e. reply) has been made, to allow editing means that the poster can MATERIALLY change the content of their post. for example, i post "do you think steinways are good pianos?" and get a bunch of YES replies, then i go back and change the post to read "do you think steinways are overpriced pianos?". i then copy the thread and use it to support the latter.

organizations go to great lengths to prevent liabilities like this, on public and private forums. Sarbanes–Oxley deals with issues like this, and as someone who is intimately involved in developing enterprise information mgmt software i can tell you that we could never expose our software auditing capabilities to a breech of this kind.

i would also point out that norbert's post was on January 10, 2013 11:01 PM and was edited on January 12, 2013 04:12 AM. he materially changed his post, rendering our replies confusing at best. his edits reinforce my post about congress vs. used car salesmen in a race to the bottom of public opinion.

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/14/13 09:08 AM

Entheo

good forum software allows a window for editing (60 seconds to a few minutes OR until someone has replied or a subsequent post has been made). this provides the poster with the opportunity to make corrections. it's also encumbent upon the poster to preview his/her post in case someone does post a reply quickly. it's called reviewing before publishing.

HOWEVER, once a subsequent post (i.e. reply) has been made, to allow editing means that the poster can MATERIALLY change the content of their post. for example, i post "do you think steinways are good pianos?" and get a bunch of YES replies, then i go back and change the post to read "do you think steinways are overpriced pianos?". i then copy the thread and use it to support the latter.

organizations go to great lengths to prevent liabilities like this, on public and private forums. Sarbanes–Oxley deals with issues like this, and as someone who is intimately involved in developing enterprise information mgmt software i can tell you that we could never expose our software auditing capabilities to a breech of this kind.

i would also point out that norbert's post was on January 10, 2013 11:01 PM and was edited on January 12, 2013 04:12 AM. he materially changed his post, rendering our replies confusing at best. his edits reinforce my post about congress vs. used car salesmen in a race to the bottom of public opinion.

While I can understand how you look at things, I think you are confusing running a business, a country or a trial with using a fun, informal and informative forum.

Your example of Steinway above, if they are overpriced or not, only bear relevance for those here who use their real name. For me, as an anonymous nobody I couldn't care less about such an edit. And for those who use their real name, I think most people are smarter than judging anybody based on such things.

While I could support change to a 5 minute editing window, I also like the possibility to change my posts later to add new information, like I've done to my first post here:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...grand%20pi.html

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/14/13 09:31 AM

frank has a sticky topic entitled "Can I Say That on the Forum?" regarding online comments that spark lawsuits. frank is obviously aware of the liabilities, and if i were him i would treat this accordingly.

from an end user point of view this audit breech undermines my confidence in posting to this BBS, knowing that the meanings of my replies can be distorted after the fact by edits to the originating posts.
Posted by: SteveM732

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/14/13 09:42 AM

Have posts on PW been immutable in the 9 years since you joined? The only forum I've ever belonged to that didn't allow editing of posts has since allowed editing due to popular demand. I've yet to see a forum thread's meaning get entirely changed by an edit and it would get detected pretty quickly if it did.

If review before publication was a high priority then I'd not see rampant capitalization errors in the posts above.
Posted by: Withindale

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/14/13 09:49 AM

the meanings of my replies can be distorted after the fact by edits to the originating posts.

Quotes obviate this problem.

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/14/13 09:58 AM

Originally Posted By: SteveM732
Have posts on PW been immutable in the 9 years since you joined? The only forum I've ever belonged to that didn't allow editing of posts has since allowed editing due to popular demand. I've yet to see a forum thread's meaning get entirely changed by an edit and it would get detected pretty quickly if it did.

i've raised this issue on multiple occasions previously. it's obviously not of concern or a high priority.

every other forum i participate in supports non-editing per previous description.

Originally Posted By: SteveM732
If review before publication was a high priority then I'd not see rampant capitalization errors in the posts above.

the issue here is substance not style.

Quotes obviate this problem.

this is true and something i'll need to keep in mind when responding to certain posters.
Posted by: SteveM732

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/14/13 04:14 PM

Quotes don't always help obviate this problem.

Even quotes are vulnerable. The key is to not believe everything you read, especially on the internet.
Posted by: PaintedPostDave

Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos - 01/14/13 04:49 PM

After all the dust has settled (assuming it has), the basic question raised by Rick and Buladscot has not, IMHO, been answered. Instead, yet another attack has been launched against Norbert (I thought Private Messages were, uh, supposed to be private).

I find Norbert's posts, whether edited or not, much more entertaining than, say, the initial post by Grand Piano Haus which strikes me as advertising. Furthermore, comparing Norbert to members of congress really cracks me up. laugh