Kawai K-6 fall board

Posted by: hkginger

Kawai K-6 fall board - 01/04/13 03:55 PM

The new K-6 was in our house for 3 and half week. Tuner just came and tuned. Lately, I have noticed once the slow fall board is closed, there is a bigger gap on the right side of the piano then the left side--I mean, I can see the the white keys more on the right side than the left side after it is closed. I tried to use the key and it still work to lock the piano. The tuner tried to fix it but nothing improve.
Is it normal because of the wood contract and expand? It is really cold in NJ, does weather affect this? The piano perform fine!

Any feedback is appreciated.
Posted by: Morodiene

Re: Kawai K-6 fall board - 01/04/13 04:41 PM

How is the humidity level in your house? In winters up north it tends to get very dry. Still, if it' snot affecting the sound of the piano I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Posted by: Minnesota Marty

Re: Kawai K-6 fall board - 01/04/13 05:58 PM

Discuss it with the dealer so he is aware of the problem. Kawai is very good with any warranty issues and wants their purchasers to be happy.

It would be a good idea to get a hygrometer to check the RH in your home. They can be found at any good hardware or big-box store. Pianos are best kept in a stable environment with an RH of 40-50%.
Posted by: hkginger

Re: Kawai K-6 fall board - 01/04/13 06:17 PM

Thank you both of you. It is not affecting the sound of piano. It is very dry in our house, in NJ right now. I will buy a hydrometer to check the humidity before I called the dealer.
Posted by: Minnesota Marty

Re: Kawai K-6 fall board - 01/04/13 07:02 PM

I would suggest that you don't try to solve the problem for the dealer. If a fallboard is warping, that is not a usual problem as major cabinet parts don't deform in ~4 weeks. I believe it is a different issue than consideration of proper long term environment for the instrument.
Posted by: ando

Re: Kawai K-6 fall board - 01/04/13 07:09 PM

It might have been like that the whole time and you only just noticed. You might have grounds for replacement if it looks really bad. Give Kawai a call and start the dialog. I don't know if you will have any colour/finish match issues if it is replaced though. It might just need a bit of adjustment and they can center it and make it look fine.
Posted by: Rickster

Re: Kawai K-6 fall board - 01/04/13 07:29 PM

It sounds like a minor fix... I'm surprised the tuner wasn't able to correct the issue.

I agree that the dealer will likely correct the fit/finish problem if you discuss it with them.

Congratulations on you new piano!

Rick
Posted by: Jerry Groot RPT

Re: Kawai K-6 fall board - 01/04/13 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: ando
It might have been like that the whole time and you only just noticed. You might have grounds for replacement if it looks really bad. Give Kawai a call and start the dialog. I don't know if you will have any colour/finish match issues if it is replaced though. It might just need a bit of adjustment and they can center it and make it look fine.

Right. It could have been there from the beginning.

You'd be surprised at how many store tuners don't care or don't get paid enough, to care about things like this. They have the store in mind, not the piano owner. Generally, it isn't a big deal to fix something like this. I would call the store immediately regardless of what the humidity is and have it looked it by someone that can adjust what may need to be adjusted.