question on voicing

Posted by: peabody

question on voicing - 01/04/13 05:14 PM

Hi to all....
Wondering....
Is it possible to voice a piano to sound more mellow but also to retain or imcrese the power of the notes/chords?

Thanks.... I want a more mellow tone but also a more powerful high end.

Estonia 168
Posted by: malkin

Re: question on voicing - 01/04/13 08:28 PM

If you don't get a reply you could ask over on the Tuners and Techs board.
Posted by: Jerry Groot RPT

Re: question on voicing - 01/04/13 08:47 PM

Yes.
Posted by: Kurtmen

Re: question on voicing - 01/04/13 08:55 PM

Voicing it is not as straight forward as it seems. Also the characteristics of the sound are related to other factors such as the type of hammers, hammers weight, the striking point of the hammers with relation to the speaking length of the string, strings down-bearing, just to name a few.
In my experience with Estonia pianos the tonal quality tends to be slender, crisp and with moderate to long sustain.
Trying to make the piano softer could make it lose its luster and create a very common effect in pianos with this type of tone; where the attack is muffle but the general characteristic of the tone remain the same.
My recommendation will be to do a very gradual voicing in multiple steps. Work the mid registers first from G3 to C5 see how it feels just mild voicing. Then move into the outer registers as need it at a different time after you play it for a while.
Posted by: Dave B

Re: question on voicing - 01/04/13 09:50 PM

Could just need string seating and leveling. Get a tech who is experienced in all phases of concert prep.

Re: question on voicing - 01/04/13 09:53 PM

Thanks Kurtman...
You seem to be saying that, in your experience Estonia pianos sound best if the tone is allowed a brightness... Am I reading your opinion correctly? I am very interested in any guidance in that area. Currently I am not overly pleased with my tone and I know the dealer voiced it down a bit before purchase.
Posted by: Ed McMorrow, RPT

Re: question on voicing - 01/04/13 10:32 PM

The mass of the hammer becomes most critical to the hammer string contact time, (and thus the overall damping of the hammer impact sound) from the portion of the compass where the fundamental pitch reaches 4 digits, IE 1,000 HZ. This is about one note above A-880HZ on up to note 88. Hammers are essentially "dampers" that excite.

Skilled shaping of the hammers to lower the mass without reducing the column of felt beneath the strike point is the overall goal. This will increase dynamic range, volume, sustain and tone color dynamic gradient. The touch resistance must be balanced at the same time so that dynamic control is enhanced as well.

Seek out a technician who understands these things and audition examples of their work to help you learn what is possible and the technician to learn what you expect.
Posted by: Norbert

Re: question on voicing - 01/04/13 10:41 PM

Quote:
Could just need string seating and leveling. Get a tech who is experienced in all phases of concert prep.

Plus stretching, i.e. "massaging" strings.

That's our own experience with Estonias having had excellent outcomes in virtually every single case.

Norbert

Re: question on voicing - 01/04/13 11:23 PM

Norbert...
Tell me more about massaging strings and your experience with it on estonia pianos please
Posted by: Kurtmen

Re: question on voicing - 01/05/13 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: peabody
Thanks Kurtman...
You seem to be saying that, in your experience Estonia pianos sound best if the tone is allowed a brightness... Am I reading your opinion correctly? I am very interested in any guidance in that area. Currently I am not overly pleased with my tone and I know the dealer voiced it down a bit before purchase.

Correct. Exactly if I were you, just do what the dealer did (mild voicing). It is important to understand that any service done to the piano is not permanent.
I'm afraid that the current stage of the tone of your piano is just the normal changes in tone due to the use and lack of serious maintenance since you bought it.
Believe it or not, action regulation, tuning and voicing is all inter-related and affects your perception of the tone.
Get a full service including a mild voicing.