Challen Pianos

Posted by: peterws

Challen Pianos - 01/18/13 07:40 AM

Anybody had one? I tried one out in the piano shop many moons ago, I liked it greatly.

You can buy a new grand, a tad under 5 feet, for £3999 (special offer). They don`t come cheaper than that . . .
Posted by: backto_study_piano

Re: Challen Pianos - 01/18/13 08:31 AM

I tried one - 2nd hand grand 30 yrs ago. My teacher was trying to sell it. She hadn't taught on it, but this was her own piano. It wasn't very pleasant at all.
Posted by: BDB

Re: Challen Pianos - 01/18/13 11:44 AM

Those would be different pianos by different manufacturers.
Posted by: Del

Re: Challen Pianos - 01/18/13 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: peterws
Anybody had one? I tried one out in the piano shop many moons ago, I liked it greatly.

You can buy a new grand, a tad under 5 feet, for £3999 (special offer). They don`t come cheaper than that . . .

Any similarity between the real Challen pianos and the new grand with the name Challen pasted on it is purely coincidental.

Which is not to say the current offering is not a decent piano--I've no idea as I've not seen it--but it is not a real Challen.

ddf
Posted by: Robert 45

Re: Challen Pianos - 01/18/13 12:30 PM

The original British Challen piano was a fine piano and was the official piano of BBC for many years. The small Challen baby grand was very popular and despite its size, it was a very nice piano.

Regards,

Robert.
Posted by: joe80

Re: Challen Pianos - 01/18/13 12:50 PM

the current Challen pianos are bog-standard chinese pianos. They're not very good at all, have a poor tone, poor bass, flimsy action, in general, I'd steer clear.

The British Challens were OK. I have an older Challen upright in my collection, that I learned on. It's a decent enough piano for the era it was built and the price we paid for it. I wouldn't say it was anything special. Quite a nice action on it, but it's 60 years old now, most of the British Challens need extensive reconditioning and whether or not it's worth it (unless you are a staffed shop, in which case it might be) is a factor to be considered.

Personally, I'd move on from this piano. For that money you could get something much better if you know where to look
Posted by: Lluís

Re: Challen Pianos - 01/18/13 05:08 PM

I own an small baby grand Challen from 1940's one thing I'm very happy with it is the delicate sound and the english simple schapement action much more apropiate to play Romantic music (Wich is the only kind of music I use to play).

I got it for 1700$ 4 years ago and its been a good instrument to start playing music , the sound is not very rich at all and it has some weird design things a little bit creppy, but not a bad instrument at all.

Lluís
Posted by: UK Paul UK

Re: Challen Pianos - 01/18/13 06:02 PM

Mine was probably my nicest sounding piano i have owned..... but 4 grand for a baby grand is sounding a little concerning... generally we pay for quality... and 4 grand isnt a sum a decent new baby grand goes for....
Posted by: Minnesota Marty

Re: Challen Pianos - 01/18/13 07:11 PM

OK - it's not a vintage Challen - It is brand new.

Paul, are you thinking in Pounds or Dollars when you are referring to "4 grand?"

Re: Challen Pianos - 01/19/13 12:02 PM

http://www.promenademusic.co.uk/keyboard-instruments/grand-pianos/challen-gp142-grand-piano-new-

Re: Challen Pianos - 01/19/13 01:15 PM

Sic transit gloria mundi.

Re: Challen Pianos - 01/20/13 11:25 AM

Wow! D`ya see the legs on that . . . .!

Re: Challen Pianos - 01/20/13 12:21 PM

They might have used them on smaller grands. It is hard to see, but I can barely make out the name on this one.

Re: Challen Pianos - 01/20/13 02:47 PM

He was right about the future, though not musically . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y1x04hAUT4