My New T118 and Adapt-A-Stand

Posted by: Edtek

My New T118 and Adapt-A-Stand - 02/06/13 08:10 PM

I bought my new T118 2 weeks ago and while generally very pleased with it I did not like the music rack at all.

1. It’s not flat so you can’t write notes on music sheets
2. There is a slot between the hinges and single music sheets can slip through
3. it’s a little short (I am spoiled by the full length rack on my Baldwin Hamilton)
4. the key cover is part of the rack so all the music, pencil, metronome etc has to be removed to close the cover.
5. it’s very heavy to remove for tuning since the key cover, music stand and front panel are all connected.

I mentioned this to the piano store technician I called about another little problem and he said several of his customers used an Adapt-a-Stand.

I checked into it and while I guess I’ll learn to live with the last 2 points the Adapt-A-Stand I bought from Pianoman Products (Adapt-a-stand.com) fixes the first 3 points. Here’s a pic of it on my piano:

My T118 with Adapt-A-Stand

I mentioned to Ken (the Pianoman guy) that I was worried that it might scratch my piano and he included some felt pads that I stuck on the top where it contacts my front panel. The stand already has felt pads where it rests on the music rack.

The stand is made from light weight formed plastic and is very easy to remove if desired.
Posted by: Monica K.

Re: My New T118 and Adapt-A-Stand - 02/06/13 09:08 PM

Cool. How wide is the Adapt-a-stand? (or, more to the point, how many sheets of paper can you put up there side by side?)

My music rack only holds five. So for 6 page pieces or longer, I have to stop and shuffle pages, or jury rig a truly ugly stretch of cardboard to which I tape the sheet music.

Re: My New T118 and Adapt-A-Stand - 02/07/13 04:33 AM

Hi Mon,
It's 46 inches long as standard so that's about 6 pages but I think Ken will custom size it.

I remember VKgoesWild had a bunch of pages taped together for "Last of the Mohicans". I checked and it was 8 pages (!) stretched across 2 music stands in back of her Roland.
Posted by: Roger Ransom

Re: My New T118 and Adapt-A-Stand - 02/07/13 08:32 AM

I think I'd love something like this for my Roland. I've tried various ugly things involving plywood and cardboard.

Does it just sit on the original music desk and rely on gravity or is it clamped or fastened in some way? Is it pretty secure?

It looks really nice on your piano.

I always thought that whoever designed those ridiculous little flip down shelves must have been on crack. The old uprights used the entire front of the piano as a music desk.

Thanks for the post. I'm ordering one.
Posted by: Morodiene

Re: My New T118 and Adapt-A-Stand - 02/07/13 09:33 AM

This would be great for my Roland as well - it has the most awful music stand ever. How does one obtain such a thing, and what's the cost?

Re: My New T118 and Adapt-A-Stand - 02/07/13 09:41 AM

Their web site is www.adapt-a-stand.com and they are around $45.00 or so depending on what one you get and the shipping.

I'm going for it.
Posted by: Morodiene

Re: My New T118 and Adapt-A-Stand - 02/07/13 09:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Roger Ransom
Their web site is www.adapt-a-stand.com and they are around $45.00 or so depending on what one you get and the shipping.

I'm going for it.

What model Roland do you have? My one concern is that the angle of the music stand on my FP-7 is a little too vertical and I'm not quite sure this thing would be somewhat adjustable as far as the angle is concerned. I imagine it doesn't have to completely rest up against the current stand and can be put on it in such a way to increase the angle a bit without it sliding off. Otherwise, I may want to get the Adapt-a-stand II and just completely do away with the built-in stand.

Re: My New T118 and Adapt-A-Stand - 02/07/13 10:03 AM

Mine is an FP7 also.

Those are very good questions and I'm going to discuss it with them when I call.

Maybe doing away with the original one would be the best solution if there is room on top for it. It's not like a piano where the desk is not easily removable.

I'll see what they suggest.

Re: My New T118 and Adapt-A-Stand - 02/07/13 01:50 PM

To Roger and Morodiene:

Yes, it just sits on the music desk. I just checked and it doesn't seem to want to fall over or move.

The bottom has little feet with felt pads on the bottom. You can slide the bottom out to the edge of your current rack to increase the angle. BTW, I'm undecided on keeping the little feet. They are screwed on and increase the height 7/8". I might take them off and put felt pads over the holes if I think the reduced height would be better.

Also, the diagram on the web page is a little misleading. It is not two pieces joined together, but a single piece of plastic with a lip formed at the bottom by a sharp bend yielding a 1.5 inch shelf.

The only negative thing I can think of about it is the plastic is only 1/8" thick so it's a little flexible. I attached another felt pad between the first two I put on to keep the plastic from touching the front panel when I wrote on a music sheet.

I thought about fabricating something myself but this is so much cleaner and neater than anything I would have made.

Re: My New T118 and Adapt-A-Stand - 02/07/13 02:54 PM

Thanks Edtek, I called and ordered one. The guy I talked to seemed very friendly and helpful.