Grammy Awards pianos

Posted by: William Steward

Grammy Awards pianos - 02/11/13 11:38 AM

Since stage space was obviously at a premium there was an interesting array of compact pianos being used in the show last night. Anybody have the inside scoop on what they were? Elton playing a 'pygmy' Yamaha grand, Kelly Clarkson's accompanist on another short grand,Fun using a (waterproof) upright....I assume this was a prop but maybe not? The pianos all sounded better than they should given their size (using samples?) but would not expect less from a show of this magnitude. Dr. John should get best dressed award for his headdress and I didn't need to see his Wurlitzer electric to know that sound. Any info on the others would be interesting...
Posted by: Eric Gloo

Re: Grammy Awards pianos - 02/11/13 12:29 PM

I think I saw a white Baldwin grand at some point.
Posted by: peterws

Re: Grammy Awards pianos - 02/11/13 12:55 PM

Kate Bush had a small white grand on stage in her live performances. It sounded good, but I don`t know what it is . . . I don`t think Elton needs a full size grand. A smaller one would sound less tinny perhaps.
Posted by: Dave Ferris

Re: Grammy Awards pianos - 02/11/13 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By: William Steward
? Elton playing a 'pygmy' Yamaha grand, Kelly Clarkson's accompanist on another short grand

To my eyes and ears they both played on the Avantgrand N3 with the lid down. smile
Posted by: Grand Piano Haus

Re: Grammy Awards pianos - 02/12/13 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: William Steward
Since stage space was obviously at a premium there was an interesting array of compact pianos being used in the show last night. Anybody have the inside scoop on what they were? Elton playing a 'pygmy' Yamaha grand, Kelly Clarkson's accompanist on another short grand,Fun using a (waterproof) upright....I assume this was a prop but maybe not? The pianos all sounded better than they should given their size (using samples?) but would not expect less from a show of this magnitude. Dr. John should get best dressed award for his headdress and I didn't need to see his Wurlitzer electric to know that sound. Any info on the others would be interesting...

It seemed that Kelly Clarkson was accompanied by the Yamaha CLP265 or CLP465 Clavinova digital piano judging by the legs. (P.S. not Kelly's legs)

Jeff
GPH
Posted by: Ed Foote

Re: Grammy Awards pianos - 02/13/13 06:31 AM

I would be surprised if any of those were acoustic pianos. The norm, these days, is to put a synth inside a piano case.
Regards,
Posted by: KurtZ

Re: Grammy Awards pianos - 02/13/13 11:41 AM

I know Elton played a shorter piano because his regular rig would not fit on the riser dictated by set design. It may have been an Avant Grand. Whatever it was, it was firing his usual rack of MKS 20's and Motif R's.

Kurt