tuning depends on brand?

Posted by: yshhq

tuning depends on brand? - 02/18/13 03:28 PM

Does it make sense that one technician is more experience in tuning certain brands say steinway? I have a steinway M. Shall I go with a "steinway" guy for tuning?

If anyone can recommend a reputable technician around Ann Arbor, MI, I will appreciate to hear it.

Thanks,
Peng
Posted by: Ed Foote

Re: tuning depends on brand? - 02/18/13 03:41 PM

Greetings,
There is something to be said for familiarity, but any competent tech can tune a Steinway M as well as another. There is nothing particularly atypical about the tuning of this brand, (I tune a LOT of them). The PTG web site can, at least, steer you towards techs that have at least passed technical tests. It is rare that a real piano butcher takes the time to do this, but it can happen.
Regards,
Posted by: BDB

Re: tuning depends on brand? - 02/18/13 03:43 PM

To some extent, tuning depends on the individual piano, not just the brand. A good tuner can tune just about any piano.
Posted by: Jerry Groot RPT

Re: tuning depends on brand? - 02/18/13 03:58 PM

I live in Grand Rapids Mi. I don't travel anywhere near where you are, but I do know these two people and their reputations.

I would call Richard Bittner who lives closer to the Detroit area at 248-619-9027.

Or James Reeder who is very well known for his rebuilding work. Jim used to be a Steinway dealer for many years. Not sure if he still is or not? He is located in Lansing Mi at 517-886-9447. Either one of those two are excellent technicians.

Posted by: Rickster

Re: tuning depends on brand? - 02/18/13 04:06 PM

Speaking as somewhat of a hobbyist/DIY tuner, I’ve found that the higher quality pianos I’ve owned are easier to tune than the lesser quality pianos I’ve owned. Following that logic, a tuner with less skill may be able to tune a higher quality piano better than one of lesser quality.

Of course, no piano is easy to tune… (for me at least smile )

Rick
Posted by: Supply

Re: tuning depends on brand? - 02/18/13 04:50 PM

As Ed correctly states, "any competent tech can tune a Steinway M as well as another". Operative word here is "competent". Steinways are more difficult to tune than many other pianos, for a number of reasons. But competency in piano tuner terms means familiarity and experience with lots of different scenarios and brands, which would include working on Steinways.
Posted by: yshhq

Re: tuning depends on brand? - 02/18/13 07:22 PM

Thanks all for your input! smile
Posted by: Rich Galassini

Re: tuning depends on brand? - 02/20/13 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Jerry Groot RPT
I live in Grand Rapids Mi. I don't travel anywhere near where you are, but I do know these two people and their reputations.

I would call Richard Bittner who lives closer to the Detroit area at 248-619-9027.

Or James Reeder who is very well known for his rebuilding work. Jim used to be a Steinway dealer for many years. Not sure if he still is or not? He is located in Lansing Mi at 517-886-9447. Either one of those two are excellent technicians.

I know both of these gentlemen - and I am NOWHERE near Mi. I think you could do well with either man.

I did not know that Jim Reeder was ever a Steinway dealer but I understand he does a nice rebuilding job. I have never personally seen his work though.