Piano Shopping

Posted by: RobertS

Piano Shopping - 02/24/13 01:30 PM

Well it's back to square one with the upright purchase. I thought I was going with the Charles Walter 1500 after shopping last week. So yesterday I once again took the 2 1/2 hr ride (each way) to the dealer(s). This time with my own sheet music in hand, and a friend with good ears. We started at the Yamaha dealer playing the U1, 3, 5, a Vogel, and a Schimmel. Well if money was growing on one of my trees in my yard, it would be the Schimmel hands down. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried the Schimmel and the Yamaha's would have sounded better. Then we went over to the CW dealer. Well, the CW didn't work for me this time. The action didn't repeat well when I pushed the piano, and I had to really push it to get volume. I know it's an upright/studio but didn't have the same problem with other pianos using the same music. The dealer thought it was funny that I was so taken with the CW last week. He did admit that the Chinese action was a problem, and would only be ordering CW's with Renner in the future. I went on to test the Kawai's again K3,5,6, and a wonderful Mason Hamlin (again over my budget). I did like the K6. Reminded me of the big old uprights from years back. The stinky part is that both the K5, and 6 were out of tune so I didn't get to hear the best the piano could perhaps do. I did tell the dealer and he blamed the big window in the room. UGH!! I left and on the way home found another Kawai dealer to stop at(live in NE so in and out of states easy). He only had a K5 but thankfully it was in tune. His price on the K5 was 1,200 less than the other shop, but 500.00 more on the K6 (would have to order one).
So after all said and done, I think I'll go with a 52" upright. That means going back again and trying the U3 and K6. The U5 was over my budget. I want to stay under 10K. What do other's think of the Kawai K6?
Thanks
Posted by: Furtwangler

Re: Piano Shopping - 02/24/13 03:00 PM

I think a Kawai K6 is wonderful - and within your budget.

I too have been impressed with some Schimmel verticals - one I recall was a C132 I believe.
Posted by: RobertS

Re: Piano Shopping - 02/24/13 07:25 PM

Is it fair to compare the U3 to the K6? I like the part about the K6 having the agaraffes and duplex scale. Is this just being silly or???
Posted by: Norbert

Re: Piano Shopping - 02/24/13 07:37 PM

Thinking the the K6 would be your best choice.

Didn't know that the Chinese actions for C.W. are "less than optimal" - perhaps they should change suppliers over there...

Your above choices included only few brands/models IMHO somewhat limiting your options.

However, IMHO and from what have said, the K6 appears most suitable to your needs.

Congrats in advance should it become your final choice - enjoy!

Norbert smile
Posted by: Minnesota Marty

Re: Piano Shopping - 02/24/13 07:38 PM

Well, I prefer the K6 to the U3, both in tone and touch.

Both are well built and have different features, so I wouldn't get bogged down on the construction minutia. "Features" can start to drive you nuts, and then you add in sales hype, Yikes!

Sorry you didn't like the Walter, but the most important thing is to find the piano that fits you best.
Posted by: Rich Galassini

Re: Piano Shopping - 02/24/13 08:02 PM

Quote:
The action didn't repeat well when I pushed the piano, and I had to really push it to get volume. I know it's an upright/studio but didn't have the same problem with other pianos using the same music. The dealer thought it was funny that I was so taken with the CW last week. He did admit that the Chinese action was a problem, and would only be ordering CW's with Renner in the future.

Hmmm... I order many Walter pianos and I must give my opinion on this point. Although the Walter action needs more attention than the Renner upon setup, once this attention is given it is consistent and dependable.

The action not repeating well on ANY new piano is indicative of a piano that is not well prepped, not indicative of an inferior action. Based on what I know, I would wager that this dealer does little to no prep. to their instruments. That is a shame.

I wish you good luck with your choice RobertS. It is a shame if this action issue shaded your opinion of a fine piano.

My 2 cents,
Posted by: Steven Y. A.

Re: Piano Shopping - 02/24/13 09:06 PM

K6 has a nice cabinet design trick which I find extremly effective to improve the sound quality close to Grand Piano.

Inverse Tone Release System

You ill get some direct tones "in the face" instead of reflected sound from the wall.