Found the Boat for Our Cruise

Posted by: Piano World

Found the Boat for Our Cruise - 06/24/08 03:06 PM

We keep talking about putting together a Piano World Cruise (I hope to get passed the talk stage next year).

Here is a nice little boat for our cruise...

"Wide birth ... standing 73m high, 360m long, Oasis of the Seas will feature onboard elements never before seen on a cruise ship"

"Spoilt at sea ... exclusive Royal Loft Suites feature a Baby Grand piano, a private wet bar, a library and extended balcony with its own LCD television, entertainment area and Jacuzzi[/b]"

http://www.news.com.au/travel/gallery/0,26362,5031043-5007153-6,00.html
Posted by: -Frycek

Re: Found the Boat for Our Cruise - 06/24/08 03:28 PM

Can you say Titanic, boys and girls?
Posted by: Piano*Dad

Re: Found the Boat for Our Cruise - 06/24/08 03:46 PM

Is that a noun or an adjective?
Posted by: FogVilleLad

Re: Found the Boat for Our Cruise - 06/24/08 03:58 PM

A baby grand for a PW cruise? Surely thou jesteth.
Posted by: ChatNoir

Re: Found the Boat for Our Cruise - 06/24/08 04:23 PM

This ain't a boat, it's floating condominiums.
Posted by: Diane...

Re: Found the Boat for Our Cruise - 06/24/08 04:33 PM

Didn't see a grand piano in any of those pictures!

Also, someone would complain that their grand didn't have the right stencil! right Norbert?

Rumour has it that since we reached 1 million posts, Piano World is paying all expenses! Right?

I'm packing as we speak! \:D
Posted by: lilylady

Re: Found the Boat for Our Cruise - 06/24/08 05:13 PM

That's one big floatboat!

Would we ever find one another?

A Mississippi Paddle Boat might be better!

But...
I'm still thinking European Piano Factory Tour!
Posted by: Meredith A

Re: Found the Boat for Our Cruise - 06/24/08 05:31 PM

I just went on a cruise - Holland America's Oosterdam. It was a nice cruise, but most of their pianos were "Grand Slam" digitals that sounded pretty bad. The string trio they had playing classical music had to play on one of these; the musicians from Ukraine agreed that it was a very bad piano.
Posted by: Piano World

Re: Found the Boat for Our Cruise - 06/24/08 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Meredith A:
I just went on a cruise - Holland America's Oosterdam. It was a nice cruise, but most of their pianos were "Grand Slam" digitals that sounded pretty bad. The string trio they had playing classical music had to play on one of these; the musicians from Ukraine agreed that it was a very bad piano. [/b]
There is an article in this months Scientific American about the Oosterdam (Nimble Skyscrapers at Sea).

At full throttle it uses 150 gallons of fuel per mile, tank holds 863,000 gallons.
I hate to have to fill that baby up!
(And you thought it cost a lot to fill up your car :-)

My sister worked for Holland America, took me on a tour of one of the big ships (don't remember which one).
I do remember most of the pianos were digital, still, better than no piano.
Posted by: mdsdurango

Re: Found the Boat for Our Cruise - 06/24/08 06:38 PM

Can you say "Charter" Frank?

Forget the "baby" Grand. Insist on a full meal deal!
Sign me up!

Mike
Posted by: tonyf

Re: Found the Boat for Our Cruise - 06/25/08 04:42 PM

Those who have not been on a cruise ship, may not realize all the amentities contained compactly in each stateroom. Most of the furniture converts into multi-use items. Undoubtedly, Frank's selection INCLUDES a 7' grand in each cabin disguised as a sofa or bed and the piano bench substitutes as the toilet. The shower wand ususlly serves as the music desk light, and the telephone as a metronome.

Judging from the photos in Norbert's thread, clothing might need to be mandatory on the cruise at least in the morning.
Posted by: Norbert

Re: Found the Boat for Our Cruise - 06/25/08 05:34 PM

Quote:
Also, someone would complain that their grand didn't have the right stencil! right Norbert?
No more 'stencils', Diane...... ;\)

[Hope you'll come to Del Pollo restaurant in Aldergrove Saturday night where my family's Boogie gang will have its first Boogie gig - perhaps we'll get a "boat gig" one day.... ;\) ]

Frank,is there no submarines available?

I tend to get sick on open ships.

[With fear being thrown overboard...]

Norbert \:D
Posted by: John30507

Re: Found the Boat for Our Cruise - 06/26/08 10:26 PM

www.oasisoftheseas.com

Click on 'Accomodations' and the last picture shows the baby grand in the stateroom.
Posted by: Euphonatrix

Re: Found the Boat for Our Cruise - 06/27/08 07:46 AM

There's even some kind of amphiteatre/concert hall so we can have our live recital.
Posted by: Zormpas

Re: Found the Boat for Our Cruise - 06/27/08 11:46 AM

Wow. I'm impressed.

You can certainly tell its a RCCL ship at first glance of the exterior!

My wife and I go on a Belly Dance seminar cruise every year on Carnival. The ship has several Yamaha acoustic pianos that seem to be kept in good shape. Bonus: They're WHITE grands!
Posted by: U S A P T

Re: Found the Boat for Our Cruise - 06/29/08 02:19 PM

Let's just do an ocean crossing on the Queen Mary II. I have a preference for ebony polish hulls.
Posted by: BearLake

Re: Found the Boat for Our Cruise - 07/09/08 06:45 PM

I took the maiden cruise on the Queen Mary 2 from New York to Southampton. I asked about the possibility of playing the pianos on board. One is even in the grand lobby, and none of the pianos were digital. The only restriction was to play the pianos before 5:00 PM because of the evening entertainment.

Because I was in the last group to leave the ship on arrival in England, I was able to pass the time playing in one of the secluded lounges. It was amazing how the wait became entertainment.