How far from front of keyboard to back of bench?

Posted by: Marjorie2

How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? - 02/26/13 07:17 PM

I'm trying to figure out what size grand piano (5'1" - 5'10") will fit in my living room. A local dealer came by with a template and said I should add approximately 18 inches for the bench. Piano Buyer says allow 2 to 3 feet for the bench - quite a difference. The piano players in my house are one small adult and two children. Any thoughts on whether 18 inches is really enough?

Thank you.

Marjorie
Posted by: Minnesota Marty

Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? - 02/26/13 07:43 PM

I would go with 2'-3' to allow comfort when sitting down and then sliding the bench forward. 18" is probably when the bench is fully slid forward and under the keyboard in a stored position.
Posted by: Rich Galassini

Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? - 02/26/13 08:09 PM

I am 6'3" and I can sit comfortably at my piano with the bench out approximately 2 feet, but we all sit differently. Why not sit at the bench in the showroom and measure where you are and where you feel comfortable? Then you will know.

Good Luck!
Posted by: BDB

Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? - 02/26/13 08:11 PM

What you need is the length of the piano, plus the distance from the front of the keys to the dampers, plus enough room for the technician to pull the action out that far. In a small piano, the middle measurement will be about 18", while a large piano, it could be 24". The latter measurement depends on the technician's middle!
Posted by: Marjorie2

Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? - 02/26/13 08:19 PM

The salesman showed me at my house how he would play the piano and the back of the bench was just 18 inches from the front of the piano while he played. (He showed me on my current upright.) I don't know if he was really comfortable though! I have limited space and "every inch counts". I don't think I can get three feet, but it sounds like I should plan for more than 18 inches. Thank you for your help.
Posted by: Supply

Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? - 02/26/13 10:45 PM

You may want to consider that after playing, you normally have to slide the bench back to get up and get out.
Posted by: Bosendorff

Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? - 02/26/13 11:55 PM

At least 24". That's what I need to be comfortable playing.
Posted by: adak

Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? - 02/27/13 12:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Marjorie2
The salesman showed me at my house how he would play the piano and the back of the bench was just 18 inches from the front of the piano while he played. (He showed me on my current upright.) I don't know if he was really comfortable though! I have limited space and "every inch counts". I don't think I can get three feet, but it sounds like I should plan for more than 18 inches. Thank you for your help.

This guy is just trying anything he can to get a sale. You deserve better. Don't let him sell you a piano you cannot properly use. Get a new salesman.
Posted by: Peter K. Mose

Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? - 02/27/13 01:16 AM

Marjorie, the answer actually depends a bit on the width of your chair or bench, but in any case 18 inches is not quite enough room for it. 24 inches would be ok as a minimum, and 30 inches or more would be optimal.
Posted by: rlinkt

Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? - 02/27/13 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: BDB
What you need is the length of the piano, plus the distance from the front of the keys to the dampers, plus enough room for the technician to pull the action out that far. In a small piano, the middle measurement will be about 18", while a large piano, it could be 24". The latter measurement depends on the technician's middle!

Much truth in this insight. After watching my piano worked on (routine maintenance and addressing some minor issues with the action), I would strongly recommend allowing enough space for the tech to pull out the action and move it safely to his workbench.
Posted by: Morodiene

Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? - 02/27/13 08:01 AM

In order to not feel cramped, you will want to have at least 3 feet I think. It's not necessarily for while you are playing, but just for some extra space. 2 feet would be the minimum, however.

What would be at the other end of the piano? A wall, or some furniture? If the latter, you may want to consider removing some things from your living room to make way. If it's another wall, there's not much you can do about that wink.
Posted by: Steve Cohen

Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? - 02/27/13 09:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Supply
You may want to consider that after playing, you normally have to slide the bench back to get up and get out.

Great point.
Posted by: Ataru074

Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? - 02/27/13 10:41 AM

Consider also that if you have a wall immediately behind you, you'll get a lot of reflected sound back.... and in such of a cramped environment, playing becomes uncomfortable pretty quick... add space around for heavy draperies / sound panels / anything that can tame the sound of a grand if you will put it in a corner with -you- in the corner.

my 2c.
Posted by: ec

Re: How far from front of keyboard to back of bench? - 02/27/13 01:10 PM

Remember too that different players will place the bench closer too or further back from the piano. I prefer sitting forward with the bench further back, and have played in homes where the wall was so close behind me that I felt squashed toward the keyboard. Go for a generous measurement here, both for comfort and for the sound reasons expressed earlier.